Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Just found my baseball cards from over 20 years ago

michiganalex

just found my baseball card collection from the very early 90s. i have 3 complete near mint condition box sets of Bowman cards in 1990 having several key rookies like Sosa and Thomas. 1992 & 1993 TOPPS with Derek Jeter''s ROOKIE CARD

NICE, my mom found mine from 20+ years ago as well recently..

Surprise to me I had a 5000 dollar Micheal Jordan card...but she ruined it via vacuum....

5000.00 Jordan? Is it one of the autographed jersey cards? Otherwise, you'll feel better knowing it probably wasn't worth that much. Hell, his Fleer rookie card rarely hits 1000.00.

Cards between 88-91/92 or so where massively over produced unfortunately

Last edited:
Cards between 88-91/92 or so where massively over produced unfortunately

Yup...and I have a shit ton of them sitting in my extra bedroom. I really wish I wouldn't have taken everyone's advice and hung onto them. They'll never be worth much because everyone has them.

Well 35 years ago, I was 14 - mine were stolen. And my Mom decided to give away my matchbox cars. I'm still upset my those days..

Yup...and I have a shit ton of them sitting in my extra bedroom. I really wish I wouldn't have taken everyone's advice and hung onto them. They'll never be worth much because everyone has them.

LOL yup and it seems like every time I see boxes at a garage sale or large lots on ebay from some so called estate sale or attic find. What are they, why they are 88-92 of course. there everywhere, perhaps even falling from the sky

Last edited:
I sold most of my collection to pay for most of my second semester of freshman year. At the time it was quite painful to do but in retrospect, it was a really good move considering how the values have tanked.

I still have a few Barry Sanders, MJs, and other randoms I held on to. They value anywhere from 5.00 to 50.00, a far cry from the 200.00 to 500.00 they used to be. I have them stored properly, hopefully my 3 year old son's kids will get use of them one day.

Last edited:
Bought and sold many collections.. second one was for 4200 and helped with the down payment of the our first house.. Good timing helps sometimes also....Wish I had the cards I sold for 1100 in 1980.. That sell was foolish..

Last edited:
I remember when my best friends Dad told me his mom gave away or threw away his Honus Wagner card..

That had to be worth a lot.

I have never owned a baseball card or purchased any type of memorabilia. I do have a few things that were signed by HOF athletes but they were given to me as gifts.

I still collect and always will. I have cards from the 50's to now. I also have several autos. I have a team signed Michigan helmet from the Sugar Bowl team a few years ago and a team signed basketball from the Michigan final 4 team on my desk.

I still collect and always will. I have cards from the 50's to now. I also have several autos. I have a team signed Michigan helmet from the Sugar Bowl team a few years ago and a team signed basketball from the Michigan final 4 team on my desk.

Which UM final 4 team?

I have a Lions hat signed by Shlee Palmer Jahvid Best and Doug Hogue? I'm rich right?

Last edited:
I have a Lions hat signed by Shlee Palmer Jahvid Best and Doug Hogue? I'm rich right?

About as valuable as my Lions hat signed by Ricky Powers. (Who never played a snap for the Lions)

When I was 13 I went to visit my grandma for the summer and my mom threw out all my Star Wars toys including several NIB 77 Vaders and the AT-AT.

If she wasn't dead now she'd still be hearing about it on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
My dad bought a bunch in the 80s and early 90s just before I was born, the only notable ones I have seen are rookie cards of Frank Thomas and Chipper Jones, who will both be HOFers once Chipper is eligible. There are a bunch of Tigers cards sponsored by Kroger from the early 90s (Deer, Tettleton, Fryman, etc.). He was friends with former Tiger pitcher Scott Aldred when they were young, but he had a mediocre career, I doubt his signed rookie card we have is worth a dime.

Last edited:
I have a ball I got signed in person when I was a kid by Sparky Anderson and Ernie Harwell. I don't know what that might be worth now but I'll likely pass it down to my son or a grand kid one day.

I have a ball I got signed in person when I was a kid by Sparky Anderson and Ernie Harwell. I don't know what that might be worth now but I'll likely pass it down to my son or a grand kid one day.

I have a ball signed by Al..somewhere.

I have a ball signed by Al..somewhere.

Years ago, I had many many cards all the way back to the T-206's T-205's with the gold borders, B-18 Blankets, Butterfinger of Lou Gehrig, Goudeys from the 1930's, Playballs from 1939 to 1941, and many Topps from 1952 to the merger with Donruss and the other card co. back in 1981. I had many Hall of Famers from each era. Autographed balls of the Hall of Famers from players from the 1930's up to the 1980's enshrinement. I sold it all about 20 years ago. Nice amount of $$$ back then.....probably doubled or tripled in value since I sold with one of the big auction houses that sell memorabilia.
Everything started going to PSA where they look at the sharpness of corners, and the borders all being 50-50 horizontal and vertical. Very few 10's, some 9's mostly 8's, 7's, and 6's.

All I have left is my Al Kaline collection.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-J-D-McCARTHY-POSTCARD-AL-KALINE-DETROIT-TIGERS-HOF-SHARP-/391143601908

After the Tigers won the 1968 World Series, I wrote to Al c/o Tiger Stadium and he sent me this Picture in the link in an 8 by 10 size autographed and personalized to me; "Dear Ron, Best Wishes Always, Al Kaline". That pic is framed and is up in the hallway. Everything else is all wrapped up and boxed. I will probably leave it to my nephew.

Back