Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kenneth Walker wins Walter Camp and Doak Walker

johnny2x2x

Congrats! First player to ever win the Walter Camp and not be top 3 in Heisman. Walter Camp is voted on by college coaches and college sports information directors. Walker was the best player in the country this year with the possible exception of Bruce Young.

Much deserved on the Walker award. Not so sure on the Walter Camp, Bryce Young IMO locked every POTY award up after the Georgia game. Regardless, good for KW3, especially after the ridiculous Heisman finalist snub. First player in the history of the Walter camp award since 1967 that the winner will not have finished in the top 3 of the heisman voting.

Congrats to KW3 and Sparty Nation. Well deserved hardware!

The injury really hurt his Heisman chances unfortunately. Would have much preferred him win it over any Bama or O$U player. IF he stays health and MSU is undefeated or only loses to Purdue, pretty sure KW3 wins the Heisman. It is unfortunate and I honestly feel bad for the kid and MSU as he has great talent. Hopefully he proves to be a great NFL talent (except if playing against the Lions).

Nothing on Walker declaring for the draft? I thought someone might be on here to reassure everyone how this is a good thing because it frees up opportunities for other tailbacks.

Nothing on Walker declaring for the draft? I thought someone might be on here to reassure everyone how this is a good thing because it frees up opportunities for other tailbacks.

curious if any MSU fans expected him to stay another year.

Seemed to me everyone assumed he was a one-and-done after the first couple weeks of the season, with the numbers he was putting up.

Seemed to me everyone assumed he was a one-and-done after the first couple weeks of the season, with the numbers he was putting up.

No once it was clear that the numbers he was putting up were because of his talent. Guys can have good games where they might break a fluke run or the OL is just opening massive holes......it was pretty clear that K9 was special.

After that, no reason to stay another year. Not as a RB.......shelf life is so short for those guys in the NFL. Get the $$ while it's there.

I knew after he singlehandedly beat michigan he was gone

If his first name was Walter it would be awesome. Regardless, congrats to him.

No once it was clear that the numbers he was putting up were because of his talent. Guys can have good games where they might break a fluke run or the OL is just opening massive holes......it was pretty clear that K9 was special.

After that, no reason to stay another year. Not as a RB.......shelf life is so short for those guys in the NFL. Get the $$ while it's there.

Yep. I don?t blame him one bit for going or for skipping the Peach Bowl. Selfishly I want him to stay/play the bowl but I don?t fault him and would do the same, particularly as a RB with not much to gain by playing to improve draft stock.

In terms of the most electric players I?ve ever seen at MSU (football or basketball) I think he may top the list despite just the one year. I really think he?s going to be a good back in the pros, assuming he?s in a good organization.

it took longer than a couple weeks. He only had 6 carries in week 2 as the coaches were evaluating back ups and 19 carries for 61 yards in week 4. He didn't start getting heisman hype until the Rutgers game or maybe WKU. I'm sure it was on peoples' minds but there wasn't much talk about it - maybe there was but I haven't paid as close attention the last few years. I don't recall him being asked or hearing his name in draft projections.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in their right mind would blame the guy but it definitely sucks for the team and fans. The only reason for him to come back would be for a shot at the Heisman as I don't think this team solves all the problems to a favorite for a B1G title let alone compete for the NC. And with the offensive line being one of those problems, being in the running for the Heisman could be a problem as well.

The kids should go, he will be missed.

Last edited:
I knew after he singlehandedly beat michigan he was gone

Not to take away from his performance against us, but it's not like he was running over us all day... his biggest plays were on broken defenses that didn't line up fast enough. You'd think he could've done better against OSU (seeing as how our defense was better than theirs)

Not to take away from his performance against us, but it's not like he was running over us all day... his biggest plays were on broken defenses that didn't line up fast enough. You'd think he could've done better against OSU (seeing as how our defense was better than theirs)

you've been reading too much bphill propaganda. Go watch the game again - he destroyed your defense on plenty of plays they were set for including TDs of 27, 52 and 23 yards - the uofm defense was set for all three of those TDs as well as plenty of non scoring rushing plays. He gashed your defense all day so quit whining about your defense being a cluster fuck of clowns a couple times. Really if you think about it, our pass defense got burned over the top most of the year - if you guys didn't get lucky on that 10 yard pass that turned into a 93 yard TD on third and long, you may never have had the lead in that game.

Last edited:
Back