Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kiper 2.0

sansumo

Detroit LionsRecord: 10-6
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
At one time, Jenkins was destined to be a top-10 pick, and his talent level hasn't dipped. After exiting Florida, he spent a year at North Alabama, and is finally ready for the NFL. As a pure cover corner, in terms of pure instincts, ball skills and athleticism, you're looking at a potential Pro Bowl player. Jenkins is already a major threat in the return game. He has a history, but get him in the right system, and you could have a star. We know Detroit needs help at corner, and Jenkins might be too much value to pass up here.

With Glenn, DeCastro, and Adams all off the board, Jenkins makes a ton of sense. Start him on special teams and in the dime. Move him up if he progresses quickly.

Jonathan Martin and Dre Kirkpactrick were gone too?

cheeno said:

lotsa buzz on Kirkpatrick having to move to Safety in the NFL....he's a guy who needs a real good combine.

SLICK said:
cheeno said:

lotsa buzz on Kirkpatrick having to move to Safety in the NFL....he's a guy who needs a real good combine.

I like how physical he is. Dude can hit and would make an excellent free safety.

SLICK said:
cheeno said:

Anyone who is over 6' and runs higher than a 4.3 gets talked about being made into a safety. ::) The guy was the number one corner on the number one college defense of all time, can press the shit out of anyone and provide run support, and win jump balls. I'd love it if they took him at 23.

I just now saw that Wes Bunting has us taking Martin at 23. Hallelujah.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mock-Draft-30-8948.html

cheeno said:
SLICK said:

Anyone who is over 6' and runs higher than a 4.3 gets talked about being made into a safety. ::) The guy was the number one corner on the number one college defense of all time, can press the shit out of anyone and provide run support, and win jump balls. I'd love it if they took him at 23.

exact same stuff is said about Patrick Peterson ( IMO at S he'd be an All Pro )....but like Peterson , Dre is a physical CB who some say lacks the fluidity to stay at CB in the NFL ( they think he will get bigger )....honestly though CB or S the kid is gonna be a difference maker on D...at 23 absolute theft , cant see it happening though.

I got a list of about 5 - 8 guys I really really like and cant wait for the combine and then FA , by draft time we should be looking at 2 or 3 guys that are an absolute fit for us.

Kiper's mock had the top 4 OTs, top 2 OGs, and top 2 CBs (Claiborne and Kirkpatrick) all off the board by the time we picked. If that really happens, Jenkins almost the only player that makes sense.

SLICK said:
cheeno said:

exact same stuff is said about Patrick Peterson ( IMO at S he'd be an All Pro )....but like Peterson , Dre is a physical CB who some say lacks the fluidity to stay at CB in the NFL ( they think he will get bigger )....honestly though CB or S the kid is gonna be a difference maker on D...at 23 absolute theft , cant see it happening though.

I got a list of about 5 - 8 guys I really really like and cant wait for the combine and then FA , by draft time we should be looking at 2 or 3 guys that are an absolute fit for us.

This is a really good class of talent at the top end, and the combine is really going to be interesting this year because of it. Some positions (ones the Lions are interested in like OL and CB) have 3 or 4 guys that can move or fall based on their performance.

Dre and Jenkins are interesting in this regard, Claiborne is the clear #1 but those two have moved close together at #2.

OL are in the same boat Kalil is the clear #1 but how does the rest of the OTs shake out, and are there OGs that are better than some of the OTs at a less pressing position? Combine/Draft can't come soon enough.

Kalil would scare the hell outta me if I was the Rams....same shit said about Jason Smith when he was drafted being said about Kalil.

"has the ability to become a franchise LT "...key word "has"

a few years later they're going to eat the Jason Smith pick....different ownership and front office but still , eating that #2 pick has to hurt.

Kalil is more of a know quantity than Smith though. Good pedigree with his brother being a stud at Carolina, beat out Cowboy 1st round tackle Tyron Smith for the LT job, highly recruited at USC, that did outstanding protecting Barkley's blindside.

Smith was a Baylor prospect who shot up the boards in his draft year/combine. EX:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football....n=nca af-145450

Still I'd be trying to trade down and grab Blackmon if I were the Rams.

[quote author=cheeno board=general thread=5479 post=126302 time=1329424427]Kalil is more of a know quantity than Smith though. Good pedigree with his brother being a stud at Carolina, beat out Cowboy 1st round tackle Tyron Smith for the LT job, highly recruited at USC, that did outstanding protecting Barkley's blindside.

Smith was a Baylor prospect who shot up the boards in his draft year/combine. EX:

Still I'd be trying to trade down and grab Blackmon if I were the Rams. [/quo

USC still runs that zone scheme on the OLINE....just my opinion maybe but Im not sold on Kalil.

Take a look at the comment section on this Jason Smith Prospect profile:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1600

Prediction: 1st Round
1st overall period!!!! the Lions need an athletic and physical lineman and Jason Smith is the man for the job!

Posted by:
master Deangalo 03/26/09 07:44 PM
Prediction: 1st Round
my second choice for my lions. my first is aaron curry. GO LIONS

Posted by:
eggnog366 03/30/09 08:01 PM

SLICK said:
[quote author=cheeno board=general thread=5479 post=126302 time=1329424427]Kalil is more of a know quantity than Smith though. Good pedigree with his brother being a stud at Carolina, beat out Cowboy 1st round tackle Tyron Smith for the LT job, highly recruited at USC, that did outstanding protecting Barkley's blindside.

USC still runs that zone scheme on the OLINE....just my opinion maybe but Im not sold on Kalil.

Fair enough. How would you rank the OTs?

cheeno said:
SLICK said:

Fair enough. How would you rank the OTs?

I'd still put Kalil at the top of the class with Rief right behind him , and then Martin and Adams.

Adams couldn't rangle the starting job until half way through his Jr year and he got beat on a few times by some so/so DEs in the Big 10 so he is another guy who kinda worries me , but at 23 could be worth the risk if you give him a year or 2 to develop at RT.

last year I liked Sherrod over all the other LTs , so who knows if my opinion is even worth spit.

Kirkpatrick is going to be on the board at 23 unless dallas falls in love with the idea of drafting a cb over a guard. Cinci might be the other team that takes a chance on him but I think they go rb.

cheeno said:
SLICK said:

Kirkpatrick can't cover well though. He was on a great defense that didn't allow QBs to have enough time to hit WRs on long patterns. How long did Dre really have to cover someone? That defense covered up his flaws.

Besides, teams usually run right up the middle against the wide nine, so his run support is not as effective in Detroit.

none of our dbs cover real well....its worth a shot. Id rather have Jenkins at 23 if were for sure going cb and dre and Jenkins are both on the board. Theres a decent chance neither are on the board....but im guessing if 1 is on the board it will be Dre.

mhughes0021 said:
none of our dbs cover real well....its worth a shot. Id rather have Jenkins at 23 if were for sure going cb and dre and Jenkins are both on the board. Theres a decent chance neither are on the board....but im guessing if 1 is on the board it will be Dre.
I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade. I'm just saying I'd rather have Glenn, one of the OTs, Jenkins, or Barron.

Back