Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kipers 1st Mock Has Lions Taking

lions2011

Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina

Detroit again will go into the 2012 season with perhaps the best front four in the NFL. Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz calculated well that the secondary would make strides after being such a weakness in previous seasons. Where the Lions could use help is at linebacker, and Brown would be a good fit. Brown has great instincts as a rangy tackler, and he has a lot of speed and can run with tight ends. I certainly can see the Lions looking for help on the offensive line at this spot, but if a top tackle doesn't fall to them here, Brown makes sense.

Meh, I dunno guys. With the way the league is changing, if you run a 4-3 I feel its better to just load up on Dline and DB's and maybe have a boss MLB that can play all 3 downs and run sideline to sideline but other than that fuck it in regards to spending lots of $/high picks on OLB's.

3-4 its different because your personal packages don't change as much but with the 4-3 in todays NFL it's tough to justify having 3 LB's on the field for any downs other than short yardage and 1st downs.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see somebody else on the outside other than Levy/Durant but I certainly feel we can win with them + a better Oline and DB's!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

He can get to the QB as well. Adding one DB doesn't help if you can't get to the QB. When Brees has all day in the pocket and 3 or 4 open receivers, covering one isn't gonna make a difference. Getting to him before those receivers have time to get open? That helps every single DB.

Also, with all the athletic TEs these days, an elite defense MUST have someone who can stay with them and at least contain them 1-1 so you don't need to help on that TE every time.

lp4ever41 said:

He can get to the QB as well. Adding one DB doesn't help if you can't get to the QB. When Brees has all day in the pocket and 3 or 4 open receivers, covering one isn't gonna make a difference. Getting to him before those receivers have time to get open? That helps every single DB.

Also, with all the athletic TEs these days, an elite defense MUST have someone who can stay with them and at least contain them 1-1 so you don't need to help on that TE every time.

Sooooo.....how is he supposed to get to the QB when Gunther almost NEVER blitzes his LB's?

boogerlovejoy said:
lp4ever41 said:

Sooooo.....how is he supposed to get to the QB when Gunther almost NEVER blitzes his LB's?
Well yeah, if Gunther doesn't wanna change his mind, they won't draft Brown. If they take him or another athletic LB, chances are they'll start blitzing more.

I still think they refused to blitz their LBs because they needed all of them in coverage on TE/RBs.

If they make this pick, I think we could expect to see more blitzing

Question: Has Gunther always been this conservative?

lp4ever41 said:
boogerlovejoy said:
Well yeah, if Gunther doesn't wanna change his mind, they won't draft Brown. If they take him or another athletic LB, chances are they'll start blitzing more.

I still think they refused to blitz their LBs because they needed all of them in coverage on TE/RBs.

not when he had Derrick Thomas ;)

SLICK said:
lp4ever41 said:

not when he had Derrick Thomas ;)

AND Percy Snow.

We had that one Fuck tard from seattle that was known for rushing the qb, he got here and they made him drop in coverage. It's scheme not lack of talent.

It has to do with what Schwartz wants the defense to do not gunther. Yes they need to blitz and be more creative with how they blitz. This guy could help with that. I was thinking our current lbs would play better but Durant showed a few times how good he could be and then other times why he wasnt highly coveted in FA. Tulloch played really well. Levy didnt look great all year. Brown could help but a lot comes down to the combine and college all star games. At this point mocks are pointless.

both brown and reddick from UNC are small 230 lb guys...If youre not getting an upgrade over levy then i dont see the purpose and neither of those 2 are much of an upgrade over levy imo. Now if you tease me with Hightower then id have a different opinion of taking a LB at 23.

mhughes0021 said:
both brown and reddick from UNC are small 230 lb guys...If youre not getting an upgrade over levy then i dont see the purpose and neither of those 2 are much of an upgrade over levy imo. Now if you tease me with Hightower then id have a different opinion of taking a LB at 23.
Read about him:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/201....acker-prospec t

HOW DOES THAT SOUND LIKE LEVY?

Doubt we go with him. My guess is we take whatever the highest prospect that falls to us AKA C. Glenn, M. Barron, M Ingram... something like that...

sunnydlitex123 said:
Doubt we go with him. My guess is we take whatever the highest prospect that falls to us AKA C. Glenn, M. Barron, M Ingram... something like that...
Brown is a freakish talent who will shoot up draft boards after the combine. There's a good chance he IS the highest rated prospect when we select, if he's even there. I would love Barron if he falls, but I kinda doubt it at the moment. Seems like there are a few teams in the 14-22 range that need safety help.

lp4ever41 said:
sunnydlitex123 said:
Brown is a freakish talent who will shoot up draft boards after the combine. There's a good chance he IS the highest rated prospect when we select, if he's even there. I would love Barron if he falls, but I kinda doubt it at the moment. Seems like there are a few teams in the 14-22 range that need safety help.

Thanks Mr. GM

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
lp4ever41 said:

Thanks Mr. GM

Dallas will go either G or seondary. They love that Kirkpatrick is a pot head....he may fall in their lap now. If not Decastro or Barron could be their pick.

But ya at 23 i like the idea of the best player that falls like stated a barron or glenn or a DE like Ingram or Mercilus. Jenkins id throw into that lot too.

About 2 months ago i thought the draft would be all out oline....but after i see all the prospects on defense that will be in this draft i have changed my mind. If decastro or glenn isnt there at 23 youre not going to get the value along the oline.

CB, S, DE, LB should all be in play.

Back