Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyle O'Brien hired as Director of Player Personnel

The guy from JACKSONVILLE?!

Uh oh boys... now we just hit a serious bump in the road.

Former Patriots scout. With Jax for 3 seasons. Brought in some major league talent. Not a bad move

Just because he is coming from Jax doesn't mean he is bad. Sometimes it just isn't the right fit, like when Belicheck was with the Browns.

I'm willing to hold off on too much criticism and too much credit of Quinn until we see whether or not he brings a consistent winner to Detroit. 2016 is easy for Lions to get 10 wins, so that won't count. if he can magically break the streak and get 2 consecutive 10 win seasons, then he actually will have proven something.

and notice, I did not say if Caldwell could pull off the 2 consecutive 10 win seasons...BECAUSE SUCH A FEAT WOULD NOT BE DUE TO HIM. "but he was the coach"...no, the team will have won in spite of him on pure talent brought in by Quinn.

What talent was he responsible for?

I'm not a Jaguars fan so i won't pretend to know the ins and outs of their franchise but a quick Google search of 'regrading NFL draft 2013/2014' and most of the 'experts' gave them a B for both drafts in hindsight.

Not the most scientific way to look at it but better than nothing.

I'm not a Jaguars fan so i won't pretend to know the ins and outs of their franchise but a quick Google search of 'regrading NFL draft 2013/2014' and most of the 'experts' gave them a B for both drafts in hindsight.

Not the most scientific way to look at it but better than nothing.

and maybe he and Quinn are a great team.

it should never be discounted the guys who the GM has continual discussions with. if Quinn had prior relationship with O'Brien and knows he enjoys bouncing ideas around with him, that together they look for the negatives in each other's targeted players and come to a determination of whether or not the positives outweigh the negatives, and are more often right than wrong...that makes for a good working relationship that brings success.

it isn't like there is a single GM in the league who doesn't involve others in the organization and rules from a throne. they need the right people around them, but having the right person in one organization does not mean they are the right fit in another.

What talent was he responsible for?

Go look at the Jacksonville Jaguars roster and come back to me. All you see is "Jacksonvill Jaguars" i'm assuming. Ignorant as usual, but not surprising. Also was a former scout for the Patriots and Chiefs.

Go look at the Jacksonville Jaguars roster and come back to me. All you see is "Jacksonvill Jaguars" i'm assuming. Ignorant as usual, but not surprising. Also was a former scout for the Patriots and Chiefs.

Not weighing in one way or the other but they have had terrible drafts. This is a guy he knows and was comfortable with, it is not based on his record with the Jags.

Not weighing in one way or the other but they have had terrible drafts. This is a guy he knows and was comfortable with, it is not based on his record with the Jags.

Which of the last 3 drafts was the terrible one?

Which of the last 3 drafts was the terrible one?

I have to be honest, I haven't been impressed with their drafts at all. I will admit there hasn't been an abundance of talent in the last few drafts, but this is still a team that took Blake Bortles at #3 instead of Teddy Bridgewater.

That concerns me. For nearly a year, Bridgewater was the consensus #1 QB. Just before the draft there is talk of him sliding. That talk is coming from the Kipers and McShays, who love to do this every year.

Suddenly Jadeveon Clowney is the clear #1, and Bridgewater becomes the 3rd QB taken.

Seems to me they listened to ESPN more than their own scouts. If not, it still scary to think a scouting department suddenly threw away everything they know for a year, and took Bortles.

Not a clear indicator of failure. Neither guy has been in the league long enough to really evaluate. But on paper guys like Marquise Lee, Storm Johnson, Blake Bortles, Brandon Linder, A.J. Cann and Michael Bennett don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in my mind.

Also, if he was in Jax for three years, wouldn't he be the guy that helped them pick Joeckel with the #2 overall pick, Cyprien in the 2nd round, and Gratz in the 3rd a couple of years ago?

That, to me, is an ugly draft at the top.

Also, if he was in Jax for three years, wouldn't he be the guy that helped them pick Joeckel with the #2 overall pick, Cyprien in the 2nd round, and Gratz in the 3rd a couple of years ago?

This was the draft I was thinking of in particular Sgg, and those were some of the players I was thinking of Ink. Add Ace Sanders to that list. When the best player to come out of a draft year arguably is Shoelace, that's probably going to be a bad draft.

Last edited:

This was the draft I was thinking of in particular Sgg, and those were some of the players I was thinking of Ink. Add Ace Sanders to that list. When the best player to come out of a draft year arguably is Shoelace, that's probably going to be a bad draft.

When I read 3 years, I assumed 2013, 2014, 2015. If he was indeed there for 2012, then I agree that there are huge question marks as the was a shitty draft.

Last edited:
Not to say he's blameless for any bad picks, but without any firm knowledge of how the front office works I can't really say how well he performed in his role. I doubt he ultimately makes the pick and, depending on egos, the information he provided might not be all that useful to the higher ups. Ever since those stories of Millen in the draft room came out, I'm hesitant to pin anything on lower tier employees...sometimes it's poor decisions based on bad information, sometimes there's miscommunication, sometimes it's a series of bad decisions, sometimes it's just one bad decision. Obviously Quinn sees some value in him.

Not to say he's blameless for any bad picks, but without any firm knowledge of how the front office works I can't really say how well he performed in his role. I doubt he ultimately makes the pick and, depending on egos, the information he provided might not be all that useful to the higher ups. Ever since those stories of Millen in the draft room came out, I'm hesitant to pin anything on lower tier employees...sometimes it's poor decisions based on bad information, sometimes there's miscommunication, sometimes it's a series of bad decisions, sometimes it's just one bad decision. Obviously Quinn sees some value in him.

Valid point. He could have been the driving force behind drafting Bortles or he could have been touting Bridgewater. No way to tell really. GM/Head coach make the final say and should/do get to take the bulk of the heat.

I have to be honest, I haven't been impressed with their drafts at all. I will admit there hasn't been an abundance of talent in the last few drafts, but this is still a team that took Blake Bortles at #3 instead of Teddy Bridgewater.

That concerns me. For nearly a year, Bridgewater was the consensus #1 QB. Just before the draft there is talk of him sliding. That talk is coming from the Kipers and McShays, who love to do this every year.

Suddenly Jadeveon Clowney is the clear #1, and Bridgewater becomes the 3rd QB taken.

Seems to me they listened to ESPN more than their own scouts. If not, it still scary to think a scouting department suddenly threw away everything they know for a year, and took Bortles.

Were you really that much more impressed by Bridgewater in year 2 than Bortles? Bortles showed huge improvement in year 2 and I'd say you could make an argument for either guy at this point.

Yeah that was where I was going to chime in on this. As much as I like Teddy, he's been basically a figurehead on that offense. Don't do anything crazy, hand the ball off a lot, and trust the defense to make plays.

I was WAY more impressed with Bortles. The dude's got a huge arm on him and his jump from year 1 to year 2 is pretty darn good. His potential is infinitely higher than Teddy.

Back