Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

La'el Collins

If he is innocent, the fact he went UNDRAFTED after being a R1 potential pick could open the door to a lawsuit by him vs NFL. If he is innocent, he deserved to be selected and paid according to his slot. He should be allowed to sign with a team at the average pay for 2015 R1 rookie IMO, again if he is innocent.

I get that teams have the right to not pick him, but it smacks of collusion and unjustified treatment of an innocent person.

He would NEVER win a collusion suite. Proving that there was a consensus not to draft him is impossible, showing that no team was likely to draft him while his legal status is up in the air is all too easy.

And he does have the right to sign a contract at 2015 Rd1 level... just no team is going to offer that now. He's a free agent, he can sign anywhere for whatever money a team wants to offer him... but who's going to offer him more than rookie minimum now?

If all charges get dropped, there could be a bidding war. Might end up with more money out of this in the long run. Will be interesting to watch.

If all charges get dropped, there could be a bidding war. Might end up with more money out of this in the long run. Will be interesting to watch.

Because of my current legal situation, I feel the need to make this clear here...

There are NO charges to be dropped. He hasn't been charged with anything. He hasn't been accused of anything. He has been asked to speak with police about the murder of a young later he knew and her daughter.

When the DA's office says he is not a suspect, and not being charged, and someone else is being charged, that's when he will have a crack at the NFL.

Right now there are NO suspects in this case, so he could emerge as one, or he could not, but no charges exist to drop.

Sorry ink, but thanks for clarification. I know your situation is really F'd up, didn't mean to hit that nerve and I see how I did, my apologies.

My understanding is had he been drafted and not signed then he could have entered the draft again next year but because he wasnt drafted he cant do that. If he is innocent of all of this I feel for the kid but given whats been going on in the league you cant blame the teams.

Sorry ink, but thanks for clarification. I know your situation is really F'd up, didn't mean to hit that nerve and I see how I did, my apologies.

No bud, you didn't hit a nerve. Seriously.

My situation got a LOT better on MOnday when the DA admitted they don't think they can win this case because it's a bunch of bullshit accusations and NO evidence at all.

It's just that I feel very lucky that my name hasn't been all over the local news yet, because once it is, it doesn't matter if you're innocent, you're guilty to the public. I'd hate to see the public make this young man guilty in the court of public opinion.

My understanding is had he been drafted and not signed then he could have entered the draft again next year but because he wasnt drafted he cant do that. If he is innocent of all of this I feel for the kid but given whats been going on in the league you cant blame the teams.

Nope, don't blame the teams at all. I blame his agent.

Teams were going to drop him. That was inevitable. But his agent shooting his mouth off about refusing to sign, teams backed off completely.

His agent never actually thought he would go totally undrafted, but it was his agent that caused it more than anyone.

If I were La'el, I'd beat his head off the floor until police really did need to call me a suspect.

Unless the agent figured going UNDRAFTED (why does my computer insist on making that word all caps...dammit) could result in a bidding war so his goal was to prevent teams from picking him up late and getting him locked into cheap rookie cap. Might have been the smart move, time will tell.

No bud, you didn't hit a nerve. Seriously.

My situation got a LOT better on MOnday when the DA admitted they don't think they can win this case because it's a bunch of bullshit accusations and NO evidence at all.

It's just that I feel very lucky that my name hasn't been all over the local news yet, because once it is, it doesn't matter if you're innocent, you're guilty to the public. I'd hate to see the public make this young man guilty in the court of public opinion.

Congrats man, most excellent news!!!

Congrats man, most excellent news!!!

It's a long way to over. My trial date was continued to September 1. But it sure goes a long way to showing my innocence to my friends and the people I care about.

The DA wants to make an offer to get rid of all the charges and have me plead guilty to some bullshit charge, but I don't even know if I will accept that. I want 100% vindication from this.

It's a long way to over. My trial date was continued to September 1. But it sure goes a long way to showing my innocence to my friends and the people I care about.

The DA wants to make an offer to get rid of all the charges and have me plead guilty to some bullshit charge, but I don't even know if I will accept that. I want 100% vindication from this.

As you should. That's a sign they don't have squat and he just wants out from under it but hoping to save face with accusers and, more importantly to him, his boss.

Stick to your guns and best wishes!

IF he is innocent this may end up being a good thing for him. He will be a free agent to sign with any team he wants. Teams could end up getting in a bidding war where he still gets his first round money.

There cant be a bidding war. Each team gets a rookie cap and every rookie has to fit under it. He may get a few hundred thousand but even that will be hard for a team to do.

how does the UDFA contracts work? Can't he sign a 1yr deal then show his worth and sign what ever contract he wants?

His first year and signing bonus would fall under the rookie cap. If he signs a one year deal then he can try and get a better deal next year. But the team that signs him will own his rights for 4 years. Regardless of what happens the incident with his ex girlfriend cost him millions.

3 year deals for udfa I thought. Typically most are. Then restricted in year four

Yeah many are 3 year deals but that is to spread out the signing bonus. I think what ever team that signs him it will ber a very incentive driven deal for games played and roster bonuses for making team. It will have to be highly creative.

Yeah many are 3 year deals but that is to spread out the signing bonus. I think what ever team that signs him it will ber a very incentive driven deal for games played and roster bonuses for making team. It will have to be highly creative.

I'm betting dollars to donuts it's not creative, and it's not going to be very incentive laden. And here's why...

There is a very high likelihood that his legal situation may not be cleared up for months. By the time it is, teams will have their players in place. He's not "needed" by anyone after the draft, and he would be a luxury/upgrade signing.

Bearing in mind that any team that signs him is doing so off 10 games started in college and his combine scores... he's not going to be in high demand. Will teams want to sign the guy? Of course, who would wanted a highly rated player you can get without spending a draft pick?

But will teams go out of their way? Doubtful. This kid is going to get offered the same undrafted rookie deal everyone else gets, because he's not a life or death player for anyone and he has very limited game film.

Teams will be up against the cap by the time this kid is signed, and will have already made June cap cuts. They aren't about to blow their load just because he had a first round grade on him.

Here's my prediction...

The team that signs La'el Collins will not be the team that offers the most money under the rookie cap. It will be the team that gives him the best chance to start, at any price.

He's going to want to show up on a lot of tape, and look for that big payday in year 3.

Back