Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

La'el Collins

Here's my prediction...

The team that signs La'el Collins will not be the team that offers the most money under the rookie cap. It will be the team that gives him the best chance to start, at any price.

He's going to want to show up on a lot of tape, and look for that big payday in year 3.

Detroit gives him the best chance at starting at RT

Detroit gives him the best chance at starting at RT

How so? Detroit has Waddle. They drafted Robinson. They brought in Torrian Smith as an UDFA.

La'el Collins would have to beat out minimum of three guys to stay on the roster. How does that offer him the best chance to start?

Because he would be a LIKELY upgrade over any of those guys? He was thought of as a top 15 guy. What team wouldn't he be an upgrade for given the low money he is going to get?

So, why did NFL teams completely pass on Collins?

"There is that possibility of more questioning of Mr. Collins," Coppola told Gannett Louisiana. "No one can be ruled out until an arrest has been made."

Because when there is NO suspect, everyone's a suspect. By saying he is not a suspect, they have not said he has been ruled out as a suspect. His status can change in about 3 seconds flat. It starts with an unexpected knock on the door.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12822309/bills-coach-rex-ryan-lael-collins-meet-baton-rouge

that sucks for him. but i still say if he is cleared that detroit signs him for RT Waddle can be the back up and wasn't Collins a 1st round prospect? meaning IF detroit had drafted him he'd be the starting RT anyway.

that sucks for him. but i still say if he is cleared that detroit signs him for RT Waddle can be the back up and wasn't Collins a 1st round prospect? meaning IF detroit had drafted him he'd be the starting RT anyway.

If he's cleared I'd say we'd be a long shot to sign him.

Dolphins and Bills. Rex Ryan had dinner with him the other day, I believe it was shrimp.

Dallas in the mix too now

Gonna be a lot of teams in the mix. The kid was a top pick at his position, and whoever gets him, gets him on a rookie minimum deal.

Thats a pretty good price tag for two years. He's going to make low backup money, but could be a starter. And if not, he'd still be the best backup in the league for worst backup money.

Gonna be a lot of teams in the mix. The kid was a top pick at his position, and whoever gets him, gets him on a rookie minimum deal.

Thats a pretty good price tag for two years. He's going to make low backup money, but could be a starter. And if not, he'd still be the best backup in the league for worst backup money.

Would be the kind of "get" the Lions hardly ever.......get.

He would be given every chance to start here, though.

Miami has a lot of former LSU players.....guess they're on him pretty good.

has he been ruled out as a suspect? why all the sudden interest?

I thought for sure this kid was at least getting drafted in the 7th. Or did he come out and say that he wanted to be drafted by Friday and no later? I forget...

I thought for sure this kid was at least getting drafted in the 7th. Or did he come out and say that he wanted to be drafted by Friday and no later? I forget...

His agent said if he wasn't drafted by the end of the 2nd round they were pulling him out. Then rumored they wanted to enter the supplemental draft or the 2016 draft.....which cant happen so either his agent is dumb or the stories were just speculation.

Weird situation....really shitty timing.....hard to say which way I lean on this with how little evidence has been shared.

Gut feeling is the teams did whats best for them and their organization. But then I don't understand why so many teams would show interest in signing him as a free agent.....so I guess im just confused unless some new information has come out that I don't know about.

I understand the risk factor....so if teams are looking at him now because its low risk....well shit....it was just as low of risk to nab in in the 6th or 7th round. I don't get it...

Last edited:
His agent said if he wasn't drafted by the end of the 2nd round they were pulling him out. Then rumored they wanted to enter the supplemental draft or the 2016 draft.....which cant happen so either his agent is dumb or the stories were just speculation.

Weird situation....really shitty timing.....hard to say which way I lean on this with how little evidence has been shared.

Gut feeling is the teams did whats best for them and their organization. But then I don't understand why so many teams would show interest in signing him as a free agent.....so I guess im just confused unless some new information has come out that I don't know about.

I understand the risk factor....so if teams are looking at him now because its low risk....well shit....it was just as low of risk to nab in in the 6th or 7th round. I don't get it...

There is so much collusion in the NFL it isn't funny. That's your explanation. Collusion.

Last edited:

Actually they said 2nd say, not 2nd round. If someone took him in the 3rd, he would have signed.

That having been said, taking him in the 6th or 7th was a wasted pick. If you pick him, and he does refuse to sign, he sits out for the year and goes back into the draft next year. Can't do much worse waiting a year.

However, by not picking him, he can't go back into the draft, and he's really got no choice but to sign somewhere. If he sits out a year now, he's done. No one is taking him a year from now.

Teams aren't spending a first, second, or third round pick on a guy who hasn't been ruled out of a murder case as a suspect. That would be nuts. And if you pick him, you all but guarantee he uses that to sit out a year.

There really was no choice with his agent saying he would sit out, but to let him fall and try to bring him in after the fast as a UDFA.

I didn't know he isn't even a person of interest. Sucks his ex girl id dead but atleast he can rest knowing it wasn't his kid. Still sad. You wonder if he's even worried about his career right now.

Back