Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Laird

jmakula87

I wasn't ever a Laird hater, but I never thought I would be so happy to have him as our backup catcher this year. He has stepped in and been fantastic for us. Nothing extreme being said here, but it is so nice having a backup catcher come in and be solid....especially with how some other players have been this year.

Laird has been fantastic this year. There's probably not another back up playing better than him. Add in how bad Avila has been and Laird's value is immeasurable to this team. Completely different player than the 09' version

When Avila gets back I think they should DH him most of the time for a few weeks.

Thank God we have some decent catchers coming through the farm. Avila looks like a one year wonder at this point. He doesn't look like a guy who can stay healthy. His best chance at longevity would be a move to first base or DH. Even then I don't know if his numbers would be adequate for a first basemen. I think his overuse last year may have ruined his knees. I can't imagine how good we would've been last year with this year's Laird as Avila's backup. Talk about some serious production from the catcher spot.

You might be jumping the gun a bit early. Avila was a rock last year when Victor was hurt and played a ton.

One year worth of injuries doesn't mean he can't get healthy in the offseason and continue behind the plate. Avila besides C duties, knows how to take a pitch so he's worth having. At least at this point.

With the news regarding the same patellar tendinitis in Avila's knee, we might be seeing Laird play more often. Whether he continues his current pace, or it drops like a couple years ago when he played more games, remains to be seen.

Back