Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LaMichael James visits

alanclark1

The Lions expect to have Jahvid Best and Mikel Leshoure back from injuries in 2012, but they would like to have a bit of insurance against further absences from the two tailbacks.

Oregon running back LaMichael James could be part of that plan. James visited with the Lions on Wednesday as one of the 30 pre-draft visits from prospects the Lions are allowed before draft day. James ran for 5,082 yards and scored 57 touchdowns in Chip Kelly?s high-octane offense over his three years with the Ducks. He realizes he wouldn?t be playing such a featured role in Detroit.

?I feel like if I came here I would be just another weapon in the arsenal,? James said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free-Press. ?They have a lot of great players, a lot of great running backs and I would just get in where I fit in.?

There?s been some talk of re-signing Kevin Smith in Detroit, although nothing has happened on that front as yet. James projects as a second day pick come April and the Lions might prefer his upside to what they?ve already seen from Smith.

if we pick him on day 2 i will cry and all posts on how MM is a good GM would be outlawed.

this looks like the insurance policy for when Jahvid eventually gets concussed and his career is done.

James is projected as about a 3rd rounder right? think I could live with that.

to bad Cliff sucked up that almost 11 million in cap....Michael Bush would have been a nice get.

this looks like the insurance policy for when Jahvid eventually gets concussed and his career is done.

James is projected as about a 3rd rounder right? think I could live with that.

I wouldn't if polk was there.

I wouldn't if polk was there.

You talking the kid from Washington? Just checked out his Scouts Inc. evaluation and he looks the part except for his durability where he graded out below average and they had this to say

"Suffered a season ending left shoulder injury during the third game of 2008, which eventually required season-ending surgery. In 2010, underwent second shoulder surgery and sat out spring practice. Also has had his knee scoped. "

What did he run at the combine cause I see hes a slightly bigger back? Like I said I think the James intrigue is related to filling Jahvid's role for when his career is eventually dunzo around week 4.

As a round 3 pick I am all for James. He fits what this offense is now which is more of a pro spread with backs running out of the shotgun and catching the ball out of the backfield. Kid has pretty good talent but was definitely helped by the Oregon offense.

Well since our run blocking is good about 1% of the time it helps to have a back that can take it to the house 100% of the 1% of the time.

You talking the kid from Washington? Just checked out his Scouts Inc. evaluation and he looks the part except for his durability where he graded out below average and they had this to say

"Suffered a season ending left shoulder injury during the third game of 2008, which eventually required season-ending surgery. In 2010, underwent second shoulder surgery and sat out spring practice. Also has had his knee scoped. "

What did he run at the combine cause I see hes a slightly bigger back? Like I said I think the James intrigue is related to filling Jahvid's role for when his career is eventually dunzo around week 4.

Did you watch him last season after that knee scope? He looked better than he had the previous 2 years. And that was without Locker and everyone keying on him.

i wouldn't mind taking James. Best is one hard hit away from retirement and we have no idea what Leshoure will be able to give us. Even if Leshoure and Best stay healthy, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have James too.

You don't like James?

Has nothing to do with James although i dont think hes a 2nd rounder. MMs traded up for and spent a 1st rounder on Best (plus the extra pick we lost), traded up for and spent a 2nd rounder on Leshoure (plus the extra pick we lost), and if he spends another 2nd round pick on a RB i think its a ridiculous decision. All those picks wasted and its done nothing for our run game which is still one of the worst in the league.

All that was done AFTER a year where your line blocked for less than a yard when running to the right and middle sides of the line. If thats not proof enough that our line cant run block than i dont know what is. Yet we have made 0 changes along the line since then and hypothetically would have spent 3 very high round picks on RBs. Would be the dumbest decision ever...

Meh, Schwartz was in Tenn when they took RB high in the draft 3 years in a row.After taking lendale and Henry in the 2nd the previous 2years would you have passed on Chris Johnson?

Has nothing to do with James although i dont think hes a 2nd rounder. MMs traded up for and spent a 1st rounder on Best (plus the extra pick we lost), traded up for and spent a 2nd rounder on Leshoure (plus the extra pick we lost), and if he spends another 2nd round pick on a RB i think its a ridiculous decision. All those picks wasted and its done nothing for our run game which is still one of the worst in the league.

All that was done AFTER a year where your line blocked for less than a yard when running to the right and middle sides of the line. If thats not proof enough that our line cant run block than i dont know what is. Yet we have made 0 changes along the line since then and hypothetically would have spent 3 very high round picks on RBs. Would be the dumbest decision ever...

yeah we need an o-line..but we still need the skill position players also...its unforuntate what has happened to jahvid and mikel...but i can't witness another rb situation like last year.. i have no problem with them taking a runningback if they believe they need to.

yeah we need an o-line..but we still need the skill position players also...its unforuntate what has happened to jahvid and mikel...but i can't witness another rb situation like last year.. i have no problem with them taking a runningback if they believe they need to.

Oh dont get me wrong...the situation is a mess and i myself have even mocked us taking cyrus gray in the 4th. But i just cant get on board with puting another high selection on RB when the line is the problem. A lower round RB would be just fine and have the same effect. James is not a feature back and never will be....you spend a 2nd round pick on him its just another waste of a pick.

Maybe make a play for J. Stewart for Carolina......he is affordable ($1.3Mill)

I agree on no RB until late, 5th round maybe. Or go get a FA or just keep status quo and chuck the ball.

Back