Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leshoure suspended 2 games

MalFunkShun

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/...eshoure-two-games-according-to-league-source/

The NFL has handed down a two-game suspension to Lions running back Mikel Leshoure today for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. He will also be docked two additional game checks.

Leshoure will be eligible to return to the Lions’ active roster on Monday, Sept. 17 following the team’s September 16 game against the 49ers.

The second-year running back was cited twice this offseason for marijuana possession just weeks apart.

In a radio interview with 97.1 The Ticket on Tuesday, Lions president Tom Lewand said he was expecting a suspension.

“Obviously that discipline falls under the commissioner’s purview,” he said. “And suspensions are certainly something that could be a possibility and I would say are likely if you look at similar types of incidences on other teams. “

Leshoure pleaded guilty to possession of marijuana in March, paid a $575 fine and said he was ready to put the matter behind him.

Unfortunately, he won’t be able to do that now until at least Week 3 of the regular season. Leshoure will miss the Lions’ Week 1 opener against the Rams at home and a Sunday Night prime time matchup against the 49ers in Week 2. Leshoure won’t be eligible to return until Week 3 when the Lions face the Titans in Nashville.

Leshoure will be allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason.

Leshoure missed all of his rookie season after tearing his Achilles tendon early in training camp last year. He expects to be 100-percent by the start of the regular season and will now have an extra two weeks to get ready.

Defensive tackle Nick Fairley also faces suspension after he was arrested for marijuana possession and DUI this offseason. Fairley’s DUI case is still working its way through the legal system, which is why the NFL has made no announcements on his possible suspension.

“Everybody makes mistakes — not everybody makes two mistakes in a row,” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Wednesday when asked if offseason instances like this can be a wake-up call for players. “But if they learn their lesson and that’s the wake-up call and if that changes the way they conduct themselves and they’re able to have a successful career because of it, at least you turned something positive out of it.”

Last edited:
Just what i thought...2 to 4. Funny how people on here thought he was getting 6-8..lol.

Time to go to work, tard...smarten up now.

Last edited:
Man, I haven't been on here for a while.. I was thinking 4 myself. Glad it's only 2.

Pretty lenient on Goodell's part. My guess is it is only 2 games because he wasn't able to discipline him after his 1st incident and before his second. If he had, chances are it would have been 4 games total, but that's just a guess.

Sucks we'll be down 2 guys we hope will be impact players against the Niners. Hopefully Best will be healthy and the DL will hopefully be fresh enough to keep the heat on Smith since it is early in the season.

Pretty lenient on Goodell's part. My guess is it is only 2 games because he wasn't able to discipline him after his 1st incident and before his second. If he had, chances are it would have been 4 games total, but that's just a guess.

Sucks we'll be down 2 guys we hope will be impact players against the Niners. Hopefully Best will be healthy and the DL will hopefully be fresh enough to keep the heat on Smith since it is early in the season.

Best did well on screen against the 49ers last year. Not so much in the run game. Kevin Smith won't help. 49ers are tough in run defense so we will miss LeShoure to move piles but I don't know how successful he would have been with Raiola and Peterman still blocking for him against a good run D team. Rely on Stafford and the weapons for this one and hopefully Stafford plays a little better this time around and hopefully Backus doesn't get abused by Justin Smith again.

2 games isn't bad. I expected more too. We'll see what Fairley gets. Hopefully the pot charges get dropped in his case. His DUI was a bit more severe though.

Mini camp is done. Training camp is next. Let's hope everybody can keep their nose clean between now and then.

Back