Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland Manager of the year?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
jdeb said:
Wow, 17 posts and I am the only one thinking Leyland is worthy. :(

Well IMO, JL is responsible for setting lineups, the rotation, when to bring in which RP. And I think he has failed more than he's succeeded.

What lineup has failed? The Sunday Lineups? He's got a winning record with Guillen, Martinez, and Maggs ALL being on the shelf this season

Giving Peralta way too many days off. A starter getting 3 hits and then sits the next day. Putting certain players way down in the lineup when guys like Kelly and Worth are hitting two. I could go on and on but what is the point. We obviohsly have different opinions but that'd what I believe.

Like Leyland or not, a division title likely ensures his managing with a new contract, for another season or two, regardless of how far (or not) the team advances in the postseason. I figure that JV starting a game or even better, two games, which in a five game series they may be on the verge of winning it, will make it more possible that the Tigers at least won't get swept in their ALDS, whether it is the Red Sox or Yankees who will be facing them/him.

Leyland had a better shot last year if they woulda made the playoffs...he started sooo many rookies that year.

iamthetutor said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]No chance. Not sure the Tigers' are better than people thought at seasons start.

Before the season, we had two newcomers, that we were unsure of in our rotation. Then we had Porcello who some lost hope for.

In our lineup, we had TWO all stars. Maggs and Guillen were too "OLD" and Avila was a catcher that nobody liked. Peralta was "average" and Inge was our third basemen.

before the season, our BEST player got into some big heat....

so yes...this team has FAR exceeded expectation and the manager deserves from of the credit.

Cabrera getting drunk one night and Avila hitting the ball isnt getting anyone manager of the year. You're kind of fighting yourself on this as well. Leyland gets credit for Avila hitting the ball but doesnt shoulder blame for Inge hitting at an all time low basically.

It keeps getting worse. I may have to go back to ESPN. ;)

I still think if the Tigers win their division he is a lock for manager of the year. Acta is falling apart. Ron Washington? Doubt it because they were expected to win the division. I do not see anything special going on in Boston or New York. If the Angels storm back, I can see Scioscia getting it.

once the game starts, he's alright, but his lineups should take him out of contention.

jdeb said:
I still think if the Tigers win their division he is a lock for manager of the year. Acta is falling apart. Ron Washington? Doubt it because they were expected to win the division. I do not see anything special going on in Boston or New York. If the Angels storm back, I can see Scioscia getting it.

I agree that if the Tigers win the division and the rest of the playoff teams are Boston, NY and Texas, Leyland has a shot to win it. I don't think he deserves it, though, especially after watching the offense that Tampa has. Joe Maddon is really good if he can win as many games as he has with this offense.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
jdeb said:
Wow, 17 posts and I am the only one thinking Leyland is worthy. :(

Well IMO, JL is responsible for setting lineups, the rotation, when to bring in which RP. And I think he has failed more than he's succeeded.

I gotta disagree. Though I don't think he is a great manager....I think Leyland deserves a lot of credit for the way this team has performed.

He mixes up his line-up more than I would like, but it has paid off in the fact that the bench stays involved and gets regular reps....keeping the regulars fresh and the bench guys ready to go.

We have had a couple guys who have really gone above and beyond expectations, Avila, Jhonny and Al Al, but we have had a more underproduce than over.....Rayburn, Jackson, Inge, Maggs, Coke, Perry, Porcello.

All that and we are 6 games up.

I'd say Leyland has earned his paycheck this year.

This is the bizarro version of the Verlander MVP debate. I think JV deserves the MVP, but I don't think he'll get it. I don't think Leyland deserves the MOY, but I think he'll get it.

Back