Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lineups

I'm glad Jackson doesn't run much, stolen bases don't really have much value, and he is barely ahead of the break even point.

I'd rather not risk running into outs with the big bats coming up for a very small gain.

If you put Jackson lower in the order, say 7th, he'd probably steal more.

One other problem I see with arguing Jackson should be leading off because of speed is that that he really isn't on base that often for BB or Miggy to bat him in. You can't score from first on a double when you aren't on first.

I would like to see Jackson bat near the bottom of the order, but unfortunately I know that that isn't going to happen.

jmakula87 said:
One other problem I see with arguing Jackson should be leading off because of speed is that that he really isn't on base that often for BB or Miggy to bat him in. You can't score from first on a double when you aren't on first.

I would like to see Jackson bat near the bottom of the order, but unfortunately I know that that isn't going to happen.

As I said, Jackson is leadoff by default. There's no one on this team fit to be a leadoff hitter at this point. The whole speed arguement wasnt "exactly" targeted on Jackson but more or less focused on the debate of whether speed is more important at the top or bottom of the line up.

Firstly, I feel like there have been a few topics discussed on here. Not just speed being best at top or bottom, and secondly, I really wish Jackson wasn't the leadoff hitter by default. Just because he fits the "special mold' doesnt mean it is right...the times are a changing though.

mjsb2 said:
Beez said:
Not everybody can score from first on a double. Thats important...not everyone gets to 3rd on a single to cf..thats important. Not that Speed is important in front of guys like Cabrera..its not like hes hitting ball that Vmart could score on everytime.

It's good to have speed everywhere.

But, it is more valuable lower in the order.

At the bottom of the order you are less likely to get an XBH, and you are less likely to string a bunch of hits together.

For those reasons, you rely more on manufacturing runs at the bottom of the order, and speed is more valuable when manufacturing runs.

Why do you see it as a given that you'd gain more runs by manufacturing them with the bottom of your lineup than by getting extra bases at the top? It's a fact that Cabrera and Martinez are the best hitters. As they hit the most singles and doubles on the team you're guaranteed to have opportunities to go from first to third, first to home, second to home, etc. With the bottom of the order can you make the same guarantee that Betemit, Young, Raburn, etc are skilled enough with the bat to manufacture runs? Yes, there's the stolen base factor, and I agree Jackson would run more at the bottom of the lineup, but I'm not convinced this is an open and shut case.

jmakula87 said:
Firstly, I feel like there have been a few topics discussed on here. Not just speed being best at top or bottom, and secondly, I really wish Jackson wasn't the leadoff hitter by default. Just because he fits the "special mold' doesnt mean it is right...the times are a changing though.

I just assumed you were talking about the same arguement as you said that you cant score from 1st or 2nd on a double if you're not on base... my point countering that was that we werent necessarily saying that Jackson should be leadoff or top of the order but more saying that speed should be in front of cabby n Vmart if talent permits because speed is better placed at the top of the order as opposed to the bottom.

Back