Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions 53 man roster prediction: Post mini-camp edition

evolutionkb

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/6/17/4436138/lions-53-man-roster-prediction-2013

The Detroit Lions completed their offseason training program last week with a mandatory minicamp. Now, the Lions have the next month or so off. They will once again gather in Allen Park as a team for training camp starting at the end of July. Many players will be battling for starting spots, and even more players will be battling to simply make the team.
This year especially, the Lions are going to have some tough decisions to make when it comes to getting down to 53 players after the preseason. I found that out when assembling my latest 53-man roster prediction. There were some really tough calls to make, especially with training camp and the preseason still to come. I fully expect this to change quite a bit in the coming months, but here's my best guess at the Lions' 53-man roster coming out of last week's minicamp (my picks to make the team are in bold and underlined):
QB Matthew Stafford
QB Shaun Hill
QB Thaddeus Lewis

QB Kellen Moore

RB Reggie Bush
RB Mikel Leshoure
RB Joique Bell
RB Montell Owens

RBTheo Riddick
RB Steven Miller
RB Jahvid Best (PUP list)

FB Shaun Chapas

WR Calvin Johnson
WR Nate Burleson
WR Ryan Broyles
WR Patrick Edwards
WR Corey Fuller
WR Micheal Spurlock

WR Mike Thomas
WR Kris Durham
WR Brian Robiskie
WR Devin Thomas
WR Matt Willis
WR Terrence Austin
WR Cody Wilson

TE Brandon Pettigrew
TE Tony Scheffler
TE Michael Williams

TE Joseph Fauria
TE Dominique Curry

OT Riley Reiff
OT Corey Hilliard
OT Jason Fox
OT LaAdrian Waddle

OT Austin Holtz

OG Rob Sims
OG Larry Warford
OG Rodney Austin

OG Bill Nagy
OG Dylan Gandy
OG Jake Scott
OG Derek Hardman
OG Darren Keyton

C Dominic Raiola
C Leroy Harris

DE Ziggy Ansah
DE Jason Jones
DE Willie Young
DE Devin Taylor

DE Ronnell Lewis
DE Freddie Bishop
DE Braylon Broughton

DT Ndamukong Suh
DT Nick Fairley
DT C.J. Mosley
DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo

DT Jimmy Saddler-McQueen
DT Spencer Nealy

LB Stephen Tulloch
LB DeAndre Levy
LB Ashlee Palmer
LB Tahir Whitehead
LB Travis Lewis
LB Brandon Hepburn

LB Carmen Messina
LB Cory Greenwood
LB Jon Morgan
LB Alex Elkins

CB Chris Houston
CB Ron Bartell
CB Darius Slay
CB Bill Bentley
CB Jonte Green
CB Chris Greenwood

CB Ross Weaver
CB D.J. Johnson
CB DeQuan Menzie

S Glover Quin
S Louis Delmas
S Don Carey
S Amari Spievey
S John Wendling

S Ricardo Silva
S Tyrell Johnson
S Martavius Neloms

K David Akers
K Havard Rugland

P Sam Martin
P Blake Clingan

LS Don Muhlbach

While Kellen Moore has reportedly improved his arm strength, I like that Thaddeus Lewis has already made a start in the NFL and did quite well in that game. This battle will ultimately come down to what happens in the preseason, but I'm giving Lewis a slight edge right now.
Because there is so much uncertainty at running back, wide receiver and tight end, I ended up cutting three players that I would've liked to keep on the 53-man roster. Theo Riddick, Mike Thomas and Joseph Fauria all made my initial cut, but when I rearranged things to account for special teams and not overloading certain positions, those three ended up on the outside looking in.
Since I have Patrick Edwards making the team, it's safe to say I'm buying the hype he's received from some of his teammates at wide receiver this offseason.
Staying at wide receiver, I expect Micheal Spurlock to make the team as the Lions' starting return man.
Given the contract the Lions handed out to Leroy Harris, I'd be surprised if he isn't on the 53-man roster. I have him as the main backup at offensive guard and center, and I have Bill Nagy not making the team as a result. Considering Nagy is still recovering from the ankle surgery he had last summer, I just don't have much faith in his health going into training camp.
The Lions have never had fewer than nine defensive linemen on their initial 53-man roster in the Jim Schwartz era, but I have them going with only eight this year, at least to start the season. The reason for this is because the last spot on defense for me came down to Ronnell Lewis and John Wendling. I just don't expect much right now out of Lewis at defensive end, and Wendling is clearly the better player on special teams. Also, considering there are questions about the health of Louis Delmas' knees, I think it'd be worthwhile for the Lions to keep an extra safety.
Part of the reason it was so tough to find an extra spot for a safety is because I have six cornerbacks making the team. That could end up being one too many, but who do you cut out of a group that includes Chris Houston, Ron Bartell, Darius Slay, Bill Bentley, Jonte Green and Chris Greenwood? I suppose Greenwood would be the first to go if he has a rough camp, but given what Bartell recently said about him, I'd be surprised if the Lions decided to release him.

K David Akers
K Havard Rugland

What kind of blasphemy is this?!?!?! We cannot, I repeat CANNOT, cut the MVP. Besides I don't want to have to return my Kickalicious jersey or my Fjord Explorer I bought for the season.

Cory Greenwood over Hepburn. Maybe keep RB Riddick and drop the last DT since Jones could fill in at times with Young/Taylor rotating in at DE. Depends on the health of the other 3 DTs and Taylor progessing.

I'd rather a vet OT over Waddle

Last edited:
I'm not so sure we don't see Cory Greenwood over Don Muhlbach. Greenwood is a long snapper as well, and plays LB, which gives him the versatility Schwartz likes in a player.

Having LB depth and a LS is better than a LS.

Edit: I also think Havard Rugland beats out Akers. Akers was easily beatable last season, and reports on Rugland are that he's hitting some amazing kicks. Obviously pads and full steam practices will tell the tale, but I just don't see Akers being that tough to beat out at this point in his career. A strong leg could do it.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather keep either Nagy or Gandy over a 3rd TE. If a TE goes down, we can role with just 1 TE and drop the 2 TE formation. Don't have a huge need for 3 TEs, but might have a huge need for an extra OL. And aren't both those guys able to play at center? Do we really need Leroy Harris then? I'm not even sure who that is, so IMO keep both Nagy and Gandy, drop Harris and Michael Williams...whose name just brings up too many negative emotions by itself, regardless of whether this Michael Williams is actually good or not.

Agree with keeping Cory Greenwood as the LS due to potential as backup, backup LB. Also think the original idea of keeping 6 CBs is smart due to how common injuries have been in that area.

Drop Akers. Give me the unknown wonder-leg over the aged guy who never really impressed me much. Known vs unknown, but what is known about Akers is not all that IMO. If it was Hansen, then I'd keep Hansen, but Akers was a bad pickup from the start.

I think I'd rather keep either Nagy or Gandy over a 3rd TE. If a TE goes down, we can role with just 1 TE and drop the 2 TE formation. Don't have a huge need for 3 TEs, but might have a huge need for an extra OL. And aren't both those guys able to play at center? Do we really need Leroy Harris then? I'm not even sure who that is, so IMO keep both Nagy and Gandy, drop Harris and Michael Williams...whose name just brings up too many negative emotions by itself, regardless of whether this Michael Williams is actually good or not.

Agree with keeping Cory Greenwood as the LS due to potential as backup, backup LB. Also think the original idea of keeping 6 CBs is smart due to how common injuries have been in that area.

Drop Akers. Give me the unknown wonder-leg over the aged guy who never really impressed me much. Known vs unknown, but what is known about Akers is not all that IMO. If it was Hansen, then I'd keep Hansen, but Akers was a bad pickup from the start.

Linehan uses 2 TEs all the time. He loves it. So you need 3. Michael Williams will be used in a Riley Reiff type role too.

Akers has a good career average and moves indoors. He was kicking hurt last year. He should beat out Rugland.

Harris is better and way more experienced starting than both Nagy and Gandy, but Harris is coming off the ACL injury. Nagy can't get healthy either it seems with the ankle. Plus Jake Scott is in there too to fight for a job.

Cutting Michael Williams because we had someone else bust with the same name would be the dumbest thing ever.

Last edited:
So they can't roll with 1 TE for remainder of a game and then bring in a TE to replace the injured TE?

I'll take whichever OL is best, they are all backups anyway, they just need to be good backups. Harris, Nagy, Gandy...just so long as they will be productive.

Akers is past his prime. My personal preference is to go with the unproven guy with the ability to hit from 50 more consistently, but perhaps that comes from so many years of having to watch the Lions settle for 50+ yard field goals as their only points in games until the blowout is secured and the scrubs play sandlot ball.

The Michael Williams name thing was more joke than serious. The only serious part is the aspect where most fans who hear that name still cringe a bit for a split second before they remember the name is referencing the 3rd string TE.

You are wound way too tight.

So they can't roll with 1 TE for remainder of a game and then bring in a TE to replace the injured TE?

I'll take whichever OL is best, they are all backups anyway, they just need to be good backups. Harris, Nagy, Gandy...just so long as they will be productive.

Akers is past his prime. My personal preference is to go with the unproven guy with the ability to hit from 50 more consistently, but perhaps that comes from so many years of having to watch the Lions settle for 50+ yard field goals as their only points in games until the blowout is secured and the scrubs play sandlot ball.

The Michael Williams name thing was more joke than serious. The only serious part is the aspect where most fans who hear that name still cringe a bit for a split second before they remember the name is referencing the 3rd string TE.

You are wound way too tight.

Give me a marginal 3rd TE over another crappy OL anyday.

I think the te question is actually whether they go big blocker type with Williams or if Fauria puts together a huge preseason and training camp they may look that way. But I think Fauria might be a replacement for Scheffler after this season or if he gets hurt again. Bigger target and faster with about the same quality of hands.

Also Akers vs Kickalicious will be a preseason thing. Honestly, I think Akers wins it but it will be decided on the field in game conditions. Akers is proven and should be healthy at some point where youtube needs to learn the entire game.

Tough learning curve. Kick the ball through the giant Y.

Its truthfully not that simple. I guess for a kicker in today's game it is because its easy with a big leg to get touchbacks but kickers still need to have the ability to have cover responsibility on kickoffs.

meh, most kickers can't tackle, and i'm pretty sure a decendant from Vikings can learn how.

aside from distance though, i think hang time of kickoffs is something slowly becoming more important. if you have a guy who can kick it higher then that gives coverage guys more time to get downfield. not that i think kickalicious can do it, but having a guy kick pop ups that land inside the 20 but have such a long hang time that the receiving team basically is forced to fair catch it would be a sizeable advantage. again, not saying he or anyone can do that, but it would be something worth pondering, especially when kicking into the wind, which granted would likely cause the ball to come back more so a kick inside the 20 would not be as likely, but the receiving team would have a more challenging time with a really high kickoff caught up in the wind and a really high but shorter kick might cause some of the up guys to play it who are not as experienced or the deep guys might have to make a running catch to get it. anything like that could cause a small percentage increase in dropping the kick.

i agree it will be settled in preseason, and i'm hoping akers is the one not around. for one thing, while i place minimal significance on the youtube video, i'd much rather the media focus on showing that than Suh's antics or listening to a report on Titus Young or countless other negative reports. the media will latch onto that video and he will draw some attention away from all the negativity. will the lions become a laughing stock from it? possibly. but aren't the lions used to being the butt of jokes? something like that rolls off easily. and if he has success, then the lions have a greatly positive PR piece to roll with and the media will suddenly like the lions more and talk about how they used to be such terrible villains but have morphed into something else. he could be the Tim Tebow of the Lions, a guy who rarely plays but gets all the media attention so other guys can slip under the negativity radar.

Akers redemption story after his injury's and struggles last year would be a much better story.

Akers redemption story after his injury's and struggles last year would be a much better story.

agree to disagree, not to mention he is more injury prone with age...and accuracy is diminished...and he was never great to begin with. good, yes. great, not so much.

Again, agree to disagree. I'm tired of getting into idiotic conversations with you. All is rainbows and sumshine in your fucking head and stating your opinions as fact doesn't mean you are correct, it just means you are a fucking loser stuck on stats trying to convince the world how great the lions are and we should all be merry and gay.

I am not an Akers fan, you will never convince me that I should be. I don't have to agree with you, nor you with me, I'm just fucking tired of your bullshit.

Back