Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Claim Kourtnei Brown Off Waivers

he would have to give up a ton via draft picks only to move up to 3/4

Mayhew could also use future picks to move up, thereby handcuffing a future GM in the event he gets canned. Yes it hurts his own future, but it will likely require him creating a playoff team this year or he is out, not just improve from 6-10. If he makes it to playoffs and renegotiates his own contract status (pay raise, G-money, whatever), then if he gets canned in the future he has gotten what he can and is gone. Meanwhile the Lions wallow in his aftermath...just like they always do when GMs come here and leave behind their mess for the next guy.

If he uses more future picks and saves this year's picks as much as possible, he is in even better position to create an immediate winner. He might also look at this year's team as being a winning foundation upon which he can build upon with fewer draft picks in the future.

Difficult to say what he is planning at this point, just tossing out an additional option.

Mayhew could also use future picks to move up, thereby handcuffing a future GM in the event he gets canned. Yes it hurts his own future, but it will likely require him creating a playoff team this year or he is out, not just improve from 6-10. If he makes it to playoffs and renegotiates his own contract status (pay raise, G-money, whatever), then if he gets canned in the future he has gotten what he can and is gone. Meanwhile the Lions wallow in his aftermath...just like they always do when GMs come here and leave behind their mess for the next guy.

If he uses more future picks and saves this year's picks as much as possible, he is in even better position to create an immediate winner. He might also look at this year's team as being a winning foundation upon which he can build upon with fewer draft picks in the future.

Difficult to say what he is planning at this point, just tossing out an additional option.

stressful job check
married a hardass Mexican check
have a 1.5 year old check
have a emo teen step son check
can handle all that easy....

mayhew getting an extension cause he traded away our future just to be good 1 year....would kill me...my eye hasn't stopped twitching since I read it lol. It would give me a heart attack or brain aneurism for sure...

Trading Suh would leave $19million in dead money. Would you rather have a cap hit of $22 M and have him or a cap hit of $19 and not? A trade is very unlikely

Trading Suh would leave $19million in dead money. Would you rather have a cap hit of $22 M and have him or a cap hit of $19 and not? A trade is very unlikely

If you dont trade him and he walks you might get a 3rd rd comp pick. If you trade him....you might get Sammy watkins or clowney. Id rather not have thr outrageous cap hit in the first place...but thats mayhew extending and extending and extending.

Last edited:

The $3M difference is enough to draft and pay his replacement.

Next year that would save an additional $10M or so.......and another $10M-$12M in 2016.

If the Lions got the right deal (enough picks or a talented young LB or S), I wouldn't hesitate to trade Suh.

Last edited:
The $3M difference is enough to draft and pay his replacement.

Next year that would save an additional $10M or so.......and another $10M-$12M in 2016.

If the Lions got the right deal (enough picks or a talented young LB or S), I wouldn't hesitate to trade Suh.

I don't think you would get a team to give up anything of value for him because of his salary. Maybe a 3rd round draft pick?

Last edited:
Carolina dangled Peppers a few years back and nobody bit....a Suh trade would be tough to get his value back.

jets traded revis for the 13th pick and a 4th rounder, the signed him to a 6yr 96mill deal coming off an acl
idk what he worth,

I don't think you would get a team to give up anything of value for him because of his salary. Maybe a 3rd round draft pick?

I would agree with that.....the Lions would have to find a team Suh was interesting in signing an extension with to get a good return. If Suh would negotiate an extension with the new team before the trade.....I could definitely see a team giving up a 1st....or even more.

The NFLs version of a sign and trade.

I would agree with that.....the Lions would have to find a team Suh was interesting in signing an extension with to get a good return. If Suh would negotiate an extension with the new team before the trade.....I could definitely see a team giving up a 1st....or even more.

The NFLs version of a sign and trade.

youre right...and if the lions had an interest in doing so we will hear about it soon, which i dont think they do

I don't see Mayhew trading Suh. He is the focal point of the defense and they are trying to build around him. I think his cost could hurt this franchise down the stretch but when they didn't pick up the option on Fairley they pretty much forced themselves to negotiate long term with Suh. Can't go into next season with neither returning.

I don't see Mayhew trading Suh. He is the focal point of the defense and they are trying to build around him. I think his cost could hurt this franchise down the stretch but when they didn't pick up the option on Fairley they pretty much forced themselves to negotiate long term with Suh. Can't go into next season with neither returning.

You have to wonder if someone like Haggeman or Nix isn't in play in the 2nd round? Let the rookie play a year of backup, and then move him into the starting role next year when Fairly walks.

You have to wonder if someone like Haggeman or Nix isn't in play in the 2nd round? Let the rookie play a year of backup, and then move him into the starting role next year when Fairly walks.

nix is probably a NT in 3/4

Donald should be in play at 10 if Suh or Fairley are neither in our long term plans.

Back