Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Fire Patricia and Quinn

Will they ever get it right for once?

Not gonna hold my breath.

Sheila Ford-Hamp's turn to spin the wheel.

Figure i should do this thread

Just couldnt get it done

Time for a rebuild

Trade Stafford. He deserves a winner

maybe Stafford's just a loser? He hasn't won anything since high school.

He was the #1 overall high school recruit and didn't win shit at Georgia

He was the #1 overall pick in the NFL and didn't win shit for the Lions

Lions have worst run game of any team since 1999.
Defense usually terrible. Years it wasn't, Lions had some double digits wins.

Trade Stafford for picks and see if he wins elsewhere.

What if Bienemy or Saleh or whoever and new GM choose to keep Stafford though. That will be interesting

Last edited:
Lions have worst run game of any team since 1999.
Defense usually terrible. Years it wasn't, Lions had some double digits wins.

Trade Stafford for picks and see if he wins elsewhere.

What if Bienemy or Saleh or whoever and new GM choose to keep Stafford though. That will be interesting

If I were to guess, I would say there is a 90% chance that whoever comes in here will choose to keep him.

If I were to guess, I would say there is a 90% chance that whoever comes in here will choose to keep him.

Depends on the trade offers. 24 dead to trade but 34 million cap hit to keep for 2021. 10 million roster bonus by 5th business day of new league year. Going with a rookie QB or sub par vet is risky too especially if you don't have run game or defense. Recipe for disaster to send a rookie out to the wolves like that. But Stafford for one more year in Detroit is the most probable.

New GM better be good at evaluating QBs

Depends on the trade offers. 24 dead to trade but 34 million cap hit to keep for 2021. 10 million roster bonus by 5th business day of new league year. Going with a rookie QB or sub par vet is risky too especially if you don't have run game or defense. Recipe for disaster to send a rookie out to the wolves like that. But Stafford for one more year in Detroit is the most probable.

New GM better be good at evaluating QBs

I agree.

What is the cap hit for a team acquiring him?

$20M 2021
$23M 2022

I agree.

What is the cap hit for a team acquiring him?

$20M 2021
$23M 2022

Not sure. Based on the dead cap of 24 million it looks like we get hit with the 2021 roster bonus. Guess it depends if traded before or after that bonus. If its only 10 million cap hit for the team trading for Stafford in 2021 it is a no brainer. 23 million for 2022 though as that is a different roster bonus plus unguaranteed salary

Not sure. Based on the dead cap of 24 million it looks like we get hit with the 2021 roster bonus. Guess it depends if traded before or after that bonus. If its only 10 million cap hit for the team trading for Stafford in 2021 it is a no brainer. 23 million for 2022 though as that is a different roster bonus plus unguaranteed salary

I think you are right. I guess it depends when he would be traded. I'm sure they could get a better return if they ate the $10M roster bonus but the team getting him would only owe $10M for 2021. For a team that thinks they are close...they might give two first round picks (depending how early the pick is in 2021)

Top 15 in 2021 and another 1st in 2022 or 2023

I still think that a new GM is going to keep him

With a full-on rebuild, I think it’s time for Fitzmagic.

With a full-on rebuild, I think it?s time for Fitzmagic.

If the Lions can get a 1st for Stafford, at this point, you have to do it.

Fitzpatrick is serviceable for a year, draft Trask, keep Daniels as the back up and use the extra cap space on defense. If Detroit wants to rebuild, do it right. Strip it ALL down. Trade anyone not named Swift, Okudah, Decker, Ragnow, Walker, Oruwariye that can get you a draft pick. Take a chance on any talented vet looking to sign a one year "Prove it" deal and put a team option on for a 2nd year.

That give you 2 drafts to stockpile picks and young talent while winning a few games here and there.

By 2022 you should have a team that has a mix of young talent and proven vets.

Also, I say Trask because.....

1. I think he will be as good as any other QB in the upcoming draft. Yes, including Lawrence and Fields.
2. He is the only one of the 3 the Lions will have a shot at.....and they may have to trade up to get him (just not as far up as the other 2)

If the Lions can get a 1st for Stafford, at this point, you have to do it.

Fitzpatrick is serviceable for a year, draft Trask, keep Daniels as the back up and use the extra cap space on defense. If Detroit wants to rebuild, do it right. Strip it ALL down. Trade anyone not named Swift, Okudah, Decker, Ragnow, Walker, Oruwariye that can get you a draft pick. Take a chance on any talented vet looking to sign a one year "Prove it" deal and put a team option on for a 2nd year.

That give you 2 drafts to stockpile picks and young talent while winning a few games here and there.

By 2022 you should have a team that has a mix of young talent and proven vets.

Also, I say Trask because.....

1. I think he will be as good as any other QB in the upcoming draft. Yes, including Lawrence and Fields.
2. He is the only one of the 3 the Lions will have a shot at.....and they may have to trade up to get him (just not as far up as the other 2)

Trask very well may be as good as Lawrence and Fields...but do you really think he will be as good as either of them? If the Lions had the #1 pick, would you want them to take Lawrence or Trask?

Trask very well may be as good as Lawrence and Fields...but do you really think he will be as good as either of them? If the Lions had the #1 pick, would you want them to take Lawrence or Trask?

Trask scouting report. Lack arm, clunky feet, below average athlete, doesn't step into his throws, lack of accuracy and velocity

Cons (?): Being that he was a starter for the first time ever in his career during the 2019 season, lots of raw aspects flashed. Trask is consistent with keeping a wide base when delivering throws, but he?s developed a bad habit in his lower half of not stepping with his lead leg (left) into throws. There are rare occurrences of him moving that leg and actually using it in his mechanics. As a result, his accuracy and velocity suffer as a result. It?s highly noticeable that a lot of his passes loft, suddenly die, or taper off during its flight to targets. Possessing a very average arm combined with this fault leads to making life hard on his targets as they?re forced to often make miraculous catches on patterns that should be routine. When operating from the pistol/shotgun, there are many examples of where the designed passing concepts and his drop back urgency hardly ever marry up. The lack of merit leads to him holding onto the ball longer than necessary or his drop back being too fast to where he?s ready to throw well before targets are ready. Trask is a below average athlete with clunky feet that make life outside of the pocket challenging. Comfortable working within the pocket, but when things break down, he drops his eyes and strictly turns into a competitive runner.

Well yeah. Lol. You can only have so many OC. With the 4 we've had only one constant #9. But it seems people around the league seem to think he's a quality QB. So new GM and new HC, most likely they keep him. And he still has a big cap hit for the next two years.. I don't think a trade is in the works.

Draft a QB, start Stafford next season and the new guy starts at game 5 - 2022 dump his ass.

Last edited:
I was curious, so I looked up a scouting report for Stafford.

This is one I found.

Just googled Matt Stafford scouting report. Found this interesting as well.

One of the biggest question marks for Stafford is if he can get past his reputation of not being able to come through in the big game. In Georgia?s losses to Alabama and Florida his senior season he threw four combined interceptions and only managed two TD?s late against the Crimson Tide.

Although Stafford can be brilliant at times, he has been known to be plagued with inconsistency, a trait that cannot be masked in the NFL.

Another concern would be Stafford?s teachability.

He has so much potential and is so physically gifted that at times he seems to try to play above his potential. While this is a concern for some scouts, others argue that all of the greats have some of this in their DNA.

Let?s not kid ourselves. Matthew Stafford has a cannon for an arm! The kid has his question marks attached, but so does every budding star.

Much of his future in the NFL will depend on what other offensive weapons are around him. Right now the Detroit Lions seem to be the most probable landing spot for the Bulldog quarterback and that is not good news for him.

Trask scouting report. Lack arm, clunky feet, below average athlete, doesn't step into his throws, lack of accuracy and velocity

Cons (?): Being that he was a starter for the first time ever in his career during the 2019 season, lots of raw aspects flashed. Trask is consistent with keeping a wide base when delivering throws, but he?s developed a bad habit in his lower half of not stepping with his lead leg (left) into throws. There are rare occurrences of him moving that leg and actually using it in his mechanics. As a result, his accuracy and velocity suffer as a result. It?s highly noticeable that a lot of his passes loft, suddenly die, or taper off during its flight to targets. Possessing a very average arm combined with this fault leads to making life hard on his targets as they?re forced to often make miraculous catches on patterns that should be routine. When operating from the pistol/shotgun, there are many examples of where the designed passing concepts and his drop back urgency hardly ever marry up. The lack of merit leads to him holding onto the ball longer than necessary or his drop back being too fast to where he?s ready to throw well before targets are ready. Trask is a below average athlete with clunky feet that make life outside of the pocket challenging. Comfortable working within the pocket, but when things break down, he drops his eyes and strictly turns into a competitive runner.

Scouting reports are 100% accurate......about 60% of the time.

Back