Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Pleased with Reiff's move to RT

tbone413

Lions pleased with Riley Reiff's move to right tackle

Kyle Meinke | [email protected] By Kyle Meinke on June 06, 2016 at 4:57 AM

ALLEN PARK -- Riley Reiff refuses to answer questions about his transition to right tackle, so it's impossible to say how he really feels about it. But whatever feelings the Detroit Lions offensive lineman may have about a rookie displacing him from the position he's played for three years -- and doing it in a contract year, no less -- his work has been nothing but professional.

"He's been great. He'll adapt and adjust," Lions coach Jim Caldwell said last week. "I get in here pretty early, and he's in here real early in the morning, working at it and just trying to find ways of getting better. Not for show or anything of that nature -- that's what he's always done.
"I'm certainly pleased with where he is right now."

Reiff was selected by the Lions in the first round of the 2012 draft, and became the club's starting left tackle a year later. He's made 47 of a possible 48 regular-season starts since then. But while availability is a valuable commodity in the NFL, Reiff also has not developed as the Lions had hoped. He's been a mostly average left tackle, according to advanced metrics sites like ProFootballFocus. And with Detroit's offensive line taking a nosedive the past couple seasons, he's faced increasing scrutiny.

New Lions GM Bob Quinn pledged this offseason to improve the offensive line, then went out in the draft and added three players at the position in the first five rounds. That includes Ohio State's Taylor Decker with the 16th overall pick.

And in both of the OTA practices that were open to the media, Decker has been at left tackle. Reiff has been on the right side.
It's premature to declare Decker the club's left tackle, though Detroit clearly hopes that he becomes just that, and Decker is receiving positive reviews so far.

"He's working," Caldwell said. "That's the thing. You know he's smart, you know he's athletic, he's working at it. And I think he's growing and developing. He's still a long ways off yet, and we haven't had pads on, but he's working extremely hard, at this point, and doing well."

That means Reiff, whose fifth-year option was picked up earlier this offseason, is going to have to learn a new position, and do so heading into the final year of his rookie deal. That's a tough spot to be in, but Caldwell lauded him for attacking the situation rather than complaining about it.

"He is a warrior," Caldwell said. "He does not flinch, does not complain. All he wants to do is find a way to get better. He'll do whatever is asked of him, and I think that's admirable. And particularly (in) this day and age, where you have so many individuals that are pretty selfish."

This sounds like Reiff moving to RT will be permanent for this season. Cant imagine he is too happy about it though, especially during a contract year...I would be quite shocked if he ends up returning to the Detroit next season.

I don't think he's going anywhere honestly. He's probably going to get top dollar RT money from us if he is stellar this year. What's a top RT earning compared to a middle of the road LT? I know that all it takes is 1 team thinking he's a top tier LT for him to become unsignable.

Last edited:
I know the top 18 tackles making the most money last season only one was a RT.

This sounds like Reiff moving to RT will be permanent for this season. Cant imagine he is too happy about it though, especially during a contract year...I would be quite shocked if he ends up returning to the Detroit next season.

I think he was already on the block there bud. If he threw a fit and showed he was angry, he was gone. The team hasn't been happy with his play on the left side, so if he stayed at the position, he was gone. He's going about his business like a pro... so he's probably gone.

BUT, at some point he has got to realize why the move was made. No team is going to be any happier with his play at LT than we were, so he's not going to get LT money next year from anyone else anyway.

He's a RT now, he's going to get RT money. And that's why they are making the move now rather than later. They don't want to negotiate a LT contract for a RT.

On one hand, I could understand his being upset. LTs simply make more money. But as has been pointed out, he was looking at mid-level money either way. Best case scenario, he plays awesome at RT and some team talks themselves into thinking he can do the same at LT. No harm done.

Much more likely, though, even if he stayed at LT, he would have looked like an average tackle that most teams would have rather drafted to replace than shell out big money to keep. How many years a player survives in the league is a pretty big factor in their total career salary. Reiff wasn't going to last on the blind side all that long. He could be a 15 year player on the right.

I don't think he's going anywhere honestly. He's probably going to get top dollar RT money from us if he is stellar this year. What's a top RT earning compared to a middle of the road LT? I know that all it takes is 1 team thinking he's a top tier LT for him to become unsignable.

Gosder Cherlius likes this post.

Gosder Cherlius likes this post.

It would be good for Reiff to note that Gosder received 7 million a year to play RT, and he wasn't even as good as Reiff is now. It's not like Reiff won't get paid as long as he stays healthy and does a decent job.

Know why this is great news? Means Decker was the right choice at LT. Love it....

Know why this is great news? Means Decker was the right choice at LT. Love it....

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Decker holding down a spot that's been handed to him, in practices without pads or contact, and on a team without a great deal of competition at the position, doesn't mean much. We have no idea yet whether he's actually going to be better (or even as good) as Reiff. All we've gathered so far is that the team wasn't happy with Reiff at LT, and is committed to making a change. Decker was only the right choice if he improves the team in real games.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Decker holding down a spot that's been handed to him, in practices without pads or contact, and on a team without a great deal of competition at the position, doesn't mean much. We have no idea yet whether he's actually going to be better (or even as good) as Reiff. All we've gathered so far is that the team wasn't happy with Reiff at LT, and is committed to making a change. Decker was only the right choice if he improves the team in real games.

That's fine. You think like that, no problem. I can read between the lines. Decker is our #1 LT and i'm calling it now. You might hear about Reiff spuradically going there in practice and even possibly playing some LT during preseason but Decker is our guy. Reiff is a RT anyways......lock.

That's fine. You think like that, no problem. I can read between the lines. Decker is our #1 LT and i'm calling it now. You might hear about Reiff spuradically going there in practice and even possibly playing some LT during preseason but Decker is our guy. Reiff is a RT anyways......lock.

Yeah, but supposedly so is Decker.

Yeah, but supposedly so is Decker.

Decker is what? A RT? He could be, but I think he's the better option at LT than Reiff. BIG TEN OLineman of the Year at LT last year. I understand that some experts say he's better suited at RT because of his supposed slow feet but that can be worked on with technique.
Like i said, Decker is our LT. Reiff will not beat him out...

Back