Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Amendola Now re-signs another 1 year deal

If starting means ?on the field for the first offensive snap?, then I?m not sure what importance that has.

GS (Games Started) The number of games in which a player has started in the game at that position.

Meaning he wasn't the first slot receiver used. Now, that either indicates he wasn't their best option in the slot, an overwhelming number of times, or he wasn't being played at full usage due to health... which is the majority of the cases.

Regardless, his highest season in yardage is 689 yards, and his best TD season was 4. He does not offer nearly what you get from Tate, and he's on the wrong side of his career. This is a meh of meh signings.

GS (Games Started) The number of games in which a player has started in the game at that position.

Meaning he wasn't the first slot receiver used. Now, that either indicates he wasn't their best option in the slot, an overwhelming number of times, or he wasn't being played at full usage due to health... which is the majority of the cases.

I?ll have to look into it more because I still don?t fully understand.

For example, Tate ?started? 4 of 7 games for the Lions last season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/goldentate/497326/gamelogs

I know what you?re getting at, I just don?t see what games started provides when there are other stats (i.e. snap counts, targets) that could provide more insight.

I?ll have to look into it more because I still don?t fully understand.

For example, Tate ?started? 4 of 7 games for the Lions last season.

http://www.nfl.com/player/goldentate/497326/gamelogs

I know what you?re getting at, I just don?t see what games started provides when there are other stats (i.e. snap counts, targets) that could provide more insight.

My concern is his history of injuries. I think we overpaid for him. I've said for years "he's not a guy I would want on my team"... and now he is, and now I hope he makes me eat those words, but I have a sinking feeling we just paid a shitload of money for 3 games of mediocre production.

Clearly, it's a one year deal, so this isn't a disaster... I just don't see any reason to be happy about this one.

To follow up on the previous post, here?s Amendola snap percentage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AmenDa00/fantasy/2018/
(Navigating to other years from here)

Games with 50%+ snaps (with season % WR rank)

2018: 14 (out of 15) - 2nd on team
2017: 9 (out of 15) - 3rd on team
2016: 1 (out of 12) - 5th on team
2015: 10 (out of 14) - 2nd on team
2014: 6 (out of 16) - 3rd on team

If you look at those numbers we just paid a career back up 4.5 million (2015 was the year edelman went down if im not mistaken). Not a horrible signing....but one i could care less about. We needed a slot WR. We got an average one on day 1...not a ton of good slot WRs in the market. Maybe a guy like Kerley?

My concern is his history of injuries. I think we overpaid for him. I've said for years "he's not a guy I would want on my team"... and now he is, and now I hope he makes me eat those words, but I have a sinking feeling we just paid a shitload of money for 3 games of mediocre production.

Clearly, it's a one year deal, so this isn't a disaster... I just don't see any reason to be happy about this one.

We just have to come to realize that 4.5 million isnt that much anymore lol. Especially on 1 year deals.

Guys like Humphries and Crowder (who also has injury concerns) are getting $9+ million a year, 4.5 doesn?t seem like much these days.

If you look at those numbers we just paid a career back up 4.5 million (2015 was the year edelman went down if im not mistaken). Not a horrible signing....but one i could care less about. We needed a slot WR. We got an average one on day 1...not a ton of good slot WRs in the market. Maybe a guy like Kerley?

I have a feeling they won’t be throwing the ball much next season, and that probably factored into the decision. Younger/higher upside guys were going to cost them, so they went and got an unremarkable vet for cheaper. Adjustments/growing pains are to be expected in year one with Bevell and getting a mediocre player to fill in for a year on what will likely be a run-heavy offense probably isn’t the worst decision.

Last edited:
My god you guys are drama queens ....bitching about filling a need for 4.5 million for one year . Never ends with this fan base , biggest bunch of crying vag's i have ever seen

God forbid people use a discussion group to ... you know.. discuss football instead of just throwing on our blue and silver cheerleading uniforms with the bright pink panties and shaking our pom poms at every move the teams makes.

Beasley just got 4 yrs 29 million and he's not as good

It's a bit shocking to me how much slot receivers and nickel corners are getting this year.

Yes, they are becoming a much bigger portion of the overall game, but these are traditionally positions you groom, not sign or trade for.

Beasley's deal does make Amendola's seem like a bargain. Only one year, less money, better player? Yeah, I can't argue any of that.

I just don't get this assessment , he's only missed 1 game each of the last two years . This is football , its a physical game , people get nicked up . Why wouldnt you want him on your team ? He's reliable , runs good routes , catches everything thrown his way . 4.5 isn't a shitload of money ( altho i think youre now realizing this ) and why do you say 3 mediocre games of production , i just dont get it at all

So now he's a career backup ehh ? and then you basically say he's just an average joe , but then suggest Kerley ?? lmao this is why you're a clown and aren't taken seriously

My god you guys are drama queens ....bitching about filling a need for 4.5 million for one year . Never ends with this fan base , biggest bunch of crying vag's i have ever seen

The problem is Sonnet, you want your team to fill needs with, you know, actual productive players. Amendola historically has been OK at best and doesn't do much outside of have solid hands.

I just don't get this assessment , he's only missed 1 game each of the last two years . This is football , its a physical game , people get nicked up . Why wouldnt you want him on your team ? He's reliable , runs good routes , catches everything thrown his way . 4.5 isn't a shitload of money ( altho i think youre now realizing this ) and why do you say 3 mediocre games of production , i just dont get it at all

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/danny-amendola/498

The problem is Sonnet, you want your team to fill needs with, you know, actual productive players. Amendola historically has been OK at best and doesn't do much outside of have solid hands.

He's actually very productive , he plays the slot , which is generally a 3rd option . People saying 60 catches and 600 yards is garbage don't have a clue , hes not a #1 or #2 and never has been . He does what his job calls for very well .

when i click link it goes to some privacy thing and doesn't open the page , says page isn't secured or some crap haha

That just means they don't have a secured certificate.

You can click advanced, and then visit the website, ignoring the security. Since you aren't giving the site you information, it doesn't matter.

But the site has a history of his injuries. There are many, and they aren't minor bumps and bruises. This site uses advanced analytics to "predict" the chances of injury in the upcoming season. They rate him as a high risk candidate for injury with a 59.5% chance of missing time.

Now, I am not too sure I buy into a computer predicting injuries... in fact, I just don't buy into that at all... but it's a good site for tracking how injury prone a player has been, and he's been very injury prone, which is why he's a high risk for injuries guy now.

Predicting the odds of an injury may be bullshit, but using historical data to say "This guy is extremely likely to miss time this season" is pretty dead on.

Back