Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Ogletree

evolutionkb

Wide receiver help for the Detroit Lions has arrived in the form of Kevin Ogletree. He worked out for the Lions on Wednesday afternoon, and the team decided to go ahead and sign him, according to Pro Football Talk.

Ogletree was just released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Tuesday. In four games with the Bucs this season, Ogletree had 8 catches for 70 yards and a touchdown.

Before joining Tampa Bay this year, Ogletree spent four seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. His best season was in 2012, when he had 32 catches for 436 yards and 4 touchdowns in 15 games. A year earlier, he had 15 catches for 164 yards.

The move to sign Ogletree comes more than a week after Nate Burleson broke his arm in a car accident. While Burleson hopes to be back sooner rather than later, the Lions were in need of extra depth at wide receiver. Patrick Edwards missed last week's game with an ankle injury, and it's unclear when exactly he will be back. This left the Lions with Calvin Johnson, Ryan Broyles and Kris Durham at wide receiver this past Sunday. (Yes, Micheal Spurlock is also a wide receiver, but he almost exclusively played special teams in Week 4.)

Ogletree isn't a huge name by any means, but he should serve as solid depth while the Lions wait for Burleson to return.

He was getting open on a bad team with no quarterback, might be a decent signing, not breaking the bank, and keeping all picks and players intact.

Meh...I think I'd still rather have Ninja, but may Ovaltine prove me wrong. He did show some flashes last year.

Love this signing. Was hoping we grabbed him up as soon as I heard he was cut. Can stretch the field, something NOBODY else besides 81 on this team can. Has the suddenness to get open underneath too.

Inconsistent and just so/so hands though. But WAY better than Dunham and Spurlock Holmes.

So a guy that can go deep with so-so hands?

Sweet.

:tup:

Last edited:
So a guy that can go deep with so-so hands?

Sweet.

:tup:

Better than a guy that can't stretch the field. Maybe he catches it, maybe he doesn't, but you have to account for him.....which draws another defender.

Better than a guy that can't stretch the field. Maybe he catches it, maybe he doesn't, but you have to account for him.....which draws another defender.

You account for him with one guy. Just like one guy on anyone else on this team outside Calvin. Not like he's taking coverage away from CJ.

You account for him with one guy. Just like one guy on anyone else on this team outside Calvin. Not like he's taking coverage away from CJ.

He will if he can beat single coverage. Something else nobody else on this team can do.

He will if he can beat single coverage. Something else nobody else on this team can do.

Agreed its a good signing mainly cause he can't be any worse than what we have at stretching the field. Ill believe it when I see it though. For all I know staff has a torn labrum and can't throw over 7 yards.

Don't sleep on Ogletree, once this guy is up to speed he'll be our #2.

Great signing, he must be stoked to be out of the circus TB and on a team that throws as much as we do. Looked at game rewind to see what we got, most of his stuff was short in TB but freeman couldn't hit him at all. When he was in Dal last year there was more deep throws off double moves. Can't wait to see him in action.

I have my doubts he'll open up anything. And you still need an OC to call the plays and a QB who make it..

The dude was released by a crappy Bucs team. From released to a number 2. I don't think so.

Back