Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Sign WR Tyrell Williams

LKP

Lions signed oft injured but good Raiders WR Tyrell Williams. Got a huge deal with them then got hurt. History with Anthony Lynn. Not bad for a flier injury issue guy

1 year deal. Hopefully really low

600-750 yards each in 3 seasons with Chargers/2019 with Raiders
1,000 yards in 2016 and 7 TDs his best season

Hurt all of 2020 and was on a pretty big deal. So Raiders cut him

he's a bum

Of course. Once they become a Lion, they become a bum in your eyes

He had a torn labrum and recovered for a year now. He is 6'4 and has produced. 1,000 yard in his history and Lynn knows him

Number 2 WR capable. Hopefully cheap enough

I think he is a solid signing. He was looked at as an upside signing in free agency a couple years ago being on the Chargers who had a lot of other mouth's to feed. He played really well in the first half of 2019 with the Raiders and caught a bunch of touchdowns, but couldn't shake the injury bug.

Raiders released WR Tyrell Williams.
Two years into his four-year deal, Williams gets the pink slip after missing all of 2020 with a shoulder injury after posting a 42-651-6 line in his first year with the Silver and Black. Williams was on a first-half tear in 2019, scoring touchdowns seemingly every week before a heel injury sapped his explosiveness. Known as "The Gazelle" in his days with the Chargers because of his big-plays, deep-threat skills, Williams will now be searching for his third team as a 29-year-old. The move saves the Raiders $10.6 million against the cap.

I think he profiles as Marvin Jones replacement. I think we still need a slot guy and a true #1. Re-sign Golladay and if you don't get someone like Waddle at 7 look at a Randale Moore maybe on day 2.

Yep Raiders gave him 11 per. This will be a one year prove it deal. Can be a deep threat and catch jump balls. And labrum injury shouldn't slow him down

650+ and 6 TDS in 14 games in 2019 too.

Let's see if he shakes injury issues in 2021

Williams is plenty capable at coming down with contested catches, and he's one of the league's premiere field-stretching threats. Unfortunately, Derek Carr isn't a big fan of throwing into tight windows or taking chances downfield. Williams somewhat salvaged his performance with an easy 11-yard touchdown with fewer than two minutes remaining in the game.

This is a blurb from rotoworld in 2019. If he stays healthy, and thats a big if, he is a solid #2.

Golladay, Williams, Devonta Smith or Waddle at 7, Cephus back to 4th spot with Hock and Swift. Now that would be plenty to test Goff with plenty of weapons. Above average Oline

Defense and run game still excuses for Goff depending how Swift, new power back and new scheme are

Of course. Once they become a Lion, they become a bum in your eyes

He had a torn labrum and recovered for a year now. He is 6'4 and has produced. 1,000 yard in his history and Lynn knows him

Number 2 WR capable. Hopefully cheap enough

no, he was a bum before too.

Just because a coach has a history with a guy, doesn't make signing him a good idea. See all of the ex pats that the last regime signed.

1000 yards...in 2016 :lmao:

And this doesn't mess with compensatory picks since he was cut.

Anthony Lynn knows him well too

Solid number 2 all the way.

Last edited:
no, he was a bum before too.

Just because a coach has a history with a guy, doesn't make signing him a good idea. See all of the ex pats that the last regime signed.

1000 yards...in 2016 :lmao:

Just saying your critique is lacking. You can say he is injury prone for sure. When he has been on the field he has been a good player. Last time he was on the field was 2019 and when he was he did good things. So how can you say he sucks when the last time he played he was solid.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyrell-williams/10154?season=2019

Once again I are not saying this guy and Golladay would form the best WR tandem in the league. I am saying that he is a solid option as a #2 WR and would be better then the likes of Higgins, John Ross, and Keelan Cole in free agency if you don't factor health into the equation.

Potential #2. However, i think he would produce less than Marvin. He does have deep jump ball potential as an outside WR. Marvin runs a better route tree.

Im still not planning on Golladay being here.

Williams and Cephus. Still need help with a #1 in the draft or another #2 with upside in FA (Higgins?).

Just saying your critique is lacking. You can say he is injury prone for sure. When he has been on the field he has been a good player. Last time he was on the field was 2019 and when he was he did good things. So how can you say he sucks when the last time he played he was solid.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tyrell-williams/10154?season=2019

Once again I are not saying this guy and Golladay would form the best WR tandem in the league. I am saying that he is a solid option as a #2 WR and would be better then the likes of Higgins, John Ross, and Keelan Cole in free agency if you don't factor health into the equation.

why wouldn't you consider health?

why wouldn't you consider health?

3 seasons of 16 games, one of 14, then a torn labrum. Plus 2021 could be healthy regardless of past. You never know if they stick around or not. Sometimes they linger or new ones pop up.

Anyone could get hurt

3 seasons of 16 games, one of 14, then a torn labrum. Plus 2021 could be healthy regardless of past. You never know if they stick around or not. Sometimes they linger or new ones pop up.

Anyone could get hurt

didn't he have plantar fasciitis in both feet too...or am I thinking of someone else.

Anyway...you are right. Anybody can get hurt. But this guy had one good season. What's the rush to sign this guy?

Ill preface this by saying im not the biggest Golladay fan. But i think Anthony Lynn probably looks at tape and sees the same guy....only for $14 Mil cheaper. This signing could put the nail in the coffin for Golladay returning if they can get a semi decent tag n trade offer. Hes a poor mans Golladay. What i see when i watched him (i live in San Diego):
Big Body and Tall
not that fast
probably is more productive across the middle than Golladay
Has Similar upside on the outside 1v1 as Golladay

Do i think hes a #1? No. But now that we have him i think the target can shift to a Waddle or Smith if thats the route they want to go at pick 7. They could also target a guy like Toney in rd 2 if he drops. You have Cephus and Williams that can play on the outside...slot playmaker can now be the target.

Rd 3 targets...ATLEAST 2 or 3 of these guys will be there with our second rd 3 pick.
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
Tutu Atwell
Dazz Newsome
Dwayne Eskridge
Amari Rodgers

Last edited:
Ill preface this by saying im not the biggest Golladay fan. But i think Anthony Lynn probably looks at tape and sees the same guy....only for $14 Mil cheaper. This signing could put the nail in the coffin for Golladay returning if they can get a semi decent tag n trade offer. Hes a poor mans Golladay. What i see when i watched him (i live in San Diego):
Big Body and Tall
not that fast
probably is more productive across the middle than Golladay
Has Similar upside on the outside 1v1 as Golladay

Do i think hes a #1? No. But now that we have him i think the target can shift to a Waddle or Smith if thats the route they want to go at pick 7. They could also target a guy like Toney in rd 2 if he drops. You have Cephus and Williams that can play on the outside...slot playmaker can now be the target.

Rd 3 targets...ATLEAST 2 or 3 of these guys will be there with our second rd 3 pick.
Elijah Moore
Rondale Moore
Tutu Atwell
Dazz Newsome
Dwayne Eskridge
Amari Rodgers

a poor man's KG is a good way to look at it.

Potential #2. However, i think he would produce less than Marvin. He does have deep jump ball potential as an outside WR. Marvin runs a better route tree.

Im still not planning on Golladay being here.

Williams and Cephus. Still need help with a #1 in the draft or another #2 with upside in FA (Higgins?).

I like this a lot. Guy has potential but is cheap. He is perfect for a rebuilding team. Fills a need, short term deal.

Good get.

Lions coach Dan Campbell said Tuesday that the team would lean towards signing familiar faces in free agency. So who should we go after in this group of familiar faces?

Back