Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions the worst team at late round drafting

brewer229

Not that this comes to a suprise to many, if any, but Lions were ranked the worst team at finding players in the 4th-7th round.

32. Detroit Lions

Surplus AV per draft: Plus-4
Best pick: LB Tahir Whitehead (138th overall, plus-10 AV in first four years)

Over the past decade, no team has received less value from its late-round picks than the Lions. Whitehead was Detroit's top late-round pick, but he has started only 24 games and produced 10 more AV than expected. The good news for Lions fans is that new GM Bob Quinn has plenty of opportunities to improve upon the Lions' late-round failures. Detroit has seven picks in the final four rounds of the 2016 draft, tied for the third most in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/st...est-worst-nfl-teams-finding-late-round-steals

I wish I could say it was amazing to me how poor our drafts really were... but in reality, I think we all knew. All those years of the Beast That Shall Not be Named followed by the Crown Prince of Football Darkness and it left the cupboard really bare.

While I agree that the Lions have been garbage in the draft - I do not really understand how they got these numbers. For example Tahir Whitehead shows up as +14 AV when I look at his PFR page. But they only rate him at + 10

Additionally, I can think of a few late rounders who are close to him (or better...) I will add the AV and see if any of them are better, but my guesses would have been the following:

Sammie Lee Hill (Rd 4 in 2009) had a +11 AV his first 4 years.
Willie Young (Rd 7 2010) had a +9 AV his first 4 years
Theo Riddick (Rd 6 2013) has a +10 after 3 years - will most likely beat Whiteheads 4 year AV mark.
Sam Martin (Rd 5 2013) has a +9 after 3 years

I guess I am kind of surprised the Lions are at the bottom of the league for late round hits. They havent had many - but I think their big 'struggles' has been their early round misses.

baby-surprise.jpg

While I agree that the Lions have been garbage in the draft - I do not really understand how they got these numbers. For example Tahir Whitehead shows up as +14 AV when I look at his PFR page. But they only rate him at + 10

Additionally, I can think of a few late rounders who are close to him (or better...) I will add the AV and see if any of them are better, but my guesses would have been the following:

Sammie Lee Hill (Rd 4 in 2009) had a +11 AV his first 4 years.
Willie Young (Rd 7 2010) had a +9 AV his first 4 years
Theo Riddick (Rd 6 2013) has a +10 after 3 years - will most likely beat Whiteheads 4 year AV mark.
Sam Martin (Rd 5 2013) has a +9 after 3 years

I guess I am kind of surprised the Lions are at the bottom of the league for late round hits. They havent had many - but I think their big 'struggles' has been their early round misses.

draft well and resign your own. What few productive picks he had ...he couldn't even keep those.

Back