Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions work out Corey Wootton, release Skye Dawson

kmd47

Lions work out Corey Wootton, release Skye Dawson

By Sean Yuille
@SeanYuille on May 13, 2015, 4:22p

It turns out that the Detroit Lions do not have 90 players on their roster after all. It appeared that they filled their roster by signing two players earlier on Wednesday, but they also released wide receiver Skye Dawson. That means that they are at 89 players for the time being.

A possible candidate to take that 90th spot could be defensive lineman Corey Wootton, who worked out for the Lions earlier this week.

Wootton should be quite familiar to the Lions considering he played for the Chicago Bears from 2010-13 and the Minnesota Vikings in 2014. He's spent time at both defensive end and defensive tackle, and that versatility could be intriguing for the Lions.

In Minnesota last year, Wootton recorded 16 tackles and 1.0 sack in 15 games. His numbers were much better in Chicago, though. He had 34 tackles, 3.0 sacks, five pass defenses and one forced fumble in 2013, and he had 27 tackles, 7.0 sacks, one pass defense and two forced fumbles in 2012.

It's unclear if the Lions will in fact sign Wootton to get to the 90-player limit, but whether it's him or someone else, I would imagine that they will fill that spot in the next day or two.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/...ye-dawson?_ga=1.61756393.475483631.1430451928

DaQuan Bowers choose between Dolphins and Detroit. Where have I heard that before?

Wooten had 7 sacks in 2012. Tweener DT/DE. Not a bad depth guy.

I don't mind the signing good veteran depth and he knows the teams in the division well.

Wooten had 7 sacks in 2012. Tweener DT/DE. Not a bad depth guy.

Did we finally hit the ceiling on how many times we can sign Andre Flullen?? He's our depth DE/DT guy.

I just picture Flullen sitting outside the players parking lot, sitting in a chair with a change jar and a sign that reads "laid off, please help".

When someone goes down......Mayhew just walks outside..... finds him.... and tells him to come on in.

Did we finally hit the ceiling on how many times we can sign Andre Flullen?? He's our depth DE/DT guy.

I just picture Flullen sitting outside the players parking lot, sitting in a chair with a change jar and a sign that reads "laid off, please help".

When someone goes down......Mayhew just walks outside..... finds him.... and tells him to come on in.

I think there is a rule you can not sign the same player more than 143 times in his career. Mayhew violated that rule last season, 16 times, and the NFL is looking into it.

Could cost us multiple first round picks, and we have to take Bill Schroeder back and start him for six games.

I think there is a rule you can not sign the same player more than 143 times in his career. Mayhew violated that rule last season, 16 times, and the NFL is looking into it.

Could cost us multiple first round picks, and we have to take Bill Schroeder back and start him for six games.

Mayhew is so soft

Back