Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Live From the Hollywood & Highland Center-tOscars!

I watch NCIS and House. And I've started watching Burn Notice. But it wouldn't kill me if there was no Hollywood. I don't watch any other TV programs..

Ha, ha...

Well, it seems there are a number of folks on this board who like TV shows and movies, but don't like where they're made.

I understand.

A lot of folks like American cars, but like to bag on Detroit, nevertheless.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Ha, ha...

Well, it seems there are a number of folks on this board who like TV shows and movies, but don't like where they're made.

I understand.

We like the stuff we like, but feel it's swamped by all the stuff we don't but other people like. I'd give up the Office in a heartbeat (retroactively...meaning it had never existed) if the Kardashians went with it.

I just don't turn those people on, and they're, like, my neighbors, both here and now in Dallas.

The Oscars to LA is like the Detroit Auto show to Detroit.

I don't think any of the Kardashians is nominated this year.

I haven't been down there since the end of 2011, but I work out front of the formerly Kodak theater fairly often, booking live audiences for television show tapings, so it's kind of fun for me to see it on TV, I guess.

Or something.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]I just don't turn those people on, and they're, like, my neighbors, both here and now in Dallas.

The Oscars to LA is like the Detroit Auto show to Detroit.

I don't think any of the Kardashians is nominated this year.

I haven't been down there since the end of 2011, but I work out front of the formerly Kodak theater fairly often, booking live audiences for television show tapings, so it's kind of fun for me to see it on TV, I guess.

Or something.

I don't doubt it. My wife gets excited just seeing buildings on TV or in movies that we've been to. I don't want to act like I don't get the attraction, I do. I wouldn't even say that I dislike Hollywood. I just don't think they're "one of us".. I have family in Newport Beach. I visited in '97 when I got Rose Bowl tickets for Christmas. My only trip ever to Disneyland they were bored after 1 ride so we left and when it was the day of the game, my ride was still asleep when I needed to be in line to get my actual ticket (student tickets were vouchers redeemed before the game.) So I was left with the impression that we're just from different planets. Is it unfair for me to associate this stuff with Hollywood? I don't know...but I do. To me they're isolated in their own world like academics in their ivory towers. It doesn't make them good or bad, just out of touch.

Had they been to Disneyland before? The first time is kinda cool, but I wouldn't go again unless somebody paid me.

I don't know who was supposed to take you to get your ticket, but if I had travelled across the continent for an event and someone had committed to giving me a ride to do it, I would have woken that person's ass up, with a baseball bat if I had to.

When I'm working talking to tourists out front of the Chinese/formerly Kodak theaters, pretty much every other tourist I talk to has Disneyland on their agenda, so I would say Disneyland is part of the whole Hollywood - So Cal thing, along with Venice or Santa Monica Beach, and Beverly Hills, and the Sunset Strip...and now maybe the downtown area by Staples Center/Nokia theater.

Most of us who do any work in the industry at all are just workin' Joes, like everybody everywhere else - although I would love to get into one of them ivory towers someday.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Had they been to Disneyland before? The first time is kinda cool, but I wouldn't go again unless somebody paid me.

I don't know who was supposed to take you to get your ticket, but if I had travelled across the continent for an event and someone had committed to giving me a ride to do it, I would have woken that person's ass up, with a baseball bat if I had to.

When I'm working talking to tourists out front of the Chinese/formerly Kodak theaters, pretty much every other tourist I talk to has Disneyland on their agenda, so I would say Disneyland is part of the whole Hollywood - So Cal thing, along with Venice or Santa Monica Beach, and Beverly Hills, and the Sunset Strip...and now maybe the downtown area by Staples Center/Nokia theater.

Most of us who do any work in the industry at all are just workin' Joes, like everybody everywhere else - although I would love to get into one of them ivory towers someday.

Yeah, they had been to Disney. So that was part of it. Meanwhile, I probably enjoy Disney more than an adult should. I wanted to design rides there when I was in 3rd grade. I still think working for Disney would be a great retirement job (so clearly, I'm not anti-Hollywood). Heck, it would be a great job if it paid the bills.

And I was staying with an aunt, but had a cousin picking me up to go to the game. She didn't get what the big deal was and thought she would be able to pick up a cheap ticket from a scalper when she got there.

Going to disney world, disney land or other parks like that are so freakin' expensive these days. Its not even funny.

I guess I wouldn't have woken up a female cousin with a baseball bat.

She was right to a degree, tickets to the Rose Bowl aren't all that hard to get from scalpers, but that game may have been different with the national championship implications, and it being the last Rose Bowl before the BCS, and all that.

You did get to the game, right?

On another topic, however much a person might like or not like Hollwood, I know you gotta love Billy Crystal's monkey suit tonight, for the same reason I do.

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="TinselWolverine":3ts29q4u]Ha, ha...

I understand.

We like the stuff we like, but feel it's swamped by all the stuff we don't but other people like. I'd give up the Office in a heartbeat (retroactively...meaning it had never existed) if the Kardashians went with it.[/quote:3ts29q4u]

Amen.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]You're about his age, right Bob?

I have his gray hair but Plummer has me by 30+ I think... But who knows..

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]I guess I wouldn't have woken up a female cousin with a baseball bat.

She was right to a degree, tickets to the Rose Bowl aren't all that hard to get from scalpers, but that game may have been different with the national championship implications, and it being the last Rose Bowl before the BCS, and all that.

You did get to the game, right?

On another topic, however much a person might like or not like Hollwood, I know you gotta love Billy Crystal's monkey suit tonight, for the same reason I do.

Yeah...nearly the last row in the endzone, but I was there.

Red, Billy Crystal is dressed tonight just like we used to be at Michigan.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Red, Billy Crystal is dressed tonight just like we used to be at Michigan.

I've still got mine. Always lookin' for an excuse to bust out the tails.

I've done a lot of pushups since I graduated, I don't have my tails suit anymore (don't really know where it went) but the jacket would be three sizes too small.

The pants would still fit though...

Well...

OK.

I had the oscars on (surprisingly) but the whole time I was on the phone in a long argument with a girl I went on a couple dates with.

the consensus on facebook seems to be that these oscars were boring and dumb.

it's absurd Shame wasn't even nominated. best movie of 2011. fucking puritans.

Back