Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lojack signs with Vikes

I'm fine with an OL in rd 2, Gholston in the 3rd, Chris Harper in the 4th, Leon McFadden in the 5th. BPA 6th and 7th

its not about what you or anybody else is fine with. its about having what's considered the best draft possible assuming every team before and after you drafted optimal in terms of value. as it stands now, Mayhew is not on par to have that draft...

everyone and their mother knew the 4-3 DE was going to be there at the top of the second. just so happens we drafted one 25 picks before the next team felt the need and now have to try and nail a pick when we could easily have our pick of the litter when it comes to rushers. . .

The upside as mentioned by others is astounding for this kid. Much higher than anyone we would have gotten had we waited. You can still grab a guard in the second and reiff hilliard and fox can figure out the the tackle situation. If he doesn't get 10+ SACKS this year it doesn't say anything about him being a bad pick. It says he is a rookie and he will hopefully be as good as they hope. I would have preferred warmack but i dont make the picks and I'm high on ziggy. He will.be worth it

The upside as mentioned by others is astounding for this kid. Much higher than anyone we would have gotten had we waited. You can still grab a guard in the second and reiff hilliard and fox can figure out the the tackle situation. If he doesn't get 10+ SACKS this year it doesn't say anything about him being a bad pick. It says he is a rookie and he will hopefully be as good as they hope. I would have preferred warmack but i dont make the picks and I'm high on ziggy. He will.be worth it

so if the Lions go 6-10 this year you're willing to give schwartz/mayhew a pass? and you're in the majority on this??? after all Ansah could just as likely get 5 sacks next year as he could 15!

I find that hard to believe considering your opinion would be in the minority on this board, today, and that's before something as bad as a 6 and 10 season took place!

in the eyes of a lot of fans if they don't go 9-7+ then this regime needs to be replaced. I don't necessarily agree with this but I get the criticism. was Ansah the best player available at 5 to achieve this goal considering the holes we have and what everybody assumed would be available at the top of the second? not even close...

BPA available nothing... this was clearly not a BPA pick and anybody who argues so is high!

if you can't even plan out a draft that's going to fall pretty obvious into the 2nd round, then, welp, sorry Mayhew, maybe broadcasting is more your cup of tea.

i liked that we atleast addressed a need. a major need. Personally my final mock had us taking milliner and going DE in rd 2 because i liked the DE depth way more than i liked the cb depth. The injury news could have spooked mayhew from going that route not to mention the whole Ansah senior bowl connection was a huge plus for ziggy. Milliner and Damontre Moore would have been more solid than Ansah and any possible cb still left on the board. But meh....mayhews only options were Ansah, Milliner or trade down at that point. So its not like he effed it up that bad. I like the pick....im just worried about the experiece. "Upside" is one thing but the guy didnt even start for byu for part of the year lol. His highlights are all fine and dandy but the dude has a free run to the qb every time lol. Its not like hes taking on tough blocks and using his hands to shed. For how fast he is supposed to be his first step isnt all that quick to my eye either. All those things can obviously be worked on....but it just shows how raw he is. We will either coach him up and he'll be great....or we wont and he wont be great. Washburn should prove to be valuable in his development. Good pick.

Ansah is a pick I wanted and all he has to do immidiately is get pressure constantly, not so much the sacks but those are great too obviously. The problems with our DE's last year is they barely even got pressured, they got neutralized just about every time, KVB got pushed backwards more than not.

i liked that we atleast addressed a need. a major need. Personally my final mock had us taking milliner and going DE in rd 2 because i liked the DE depth way more than i liked the cb depth. The injury news could have spooked mayhew from going that route not to mention the whole Ansah senior bowl connection was a huge plus for ziggy. Milliner and Damontre Moore would have been more solid than Ansah and any possible cb still left on the board. But meh....mayhews only options were Ansah, Milliner or trade down at that point. So its not like he effed it up that bad. I like the pick....im just worried about the experiece. "Upside" is one thing but the guy didnt even start for byu for part of the year lol. His highlights are all fine and dandy but the dude has a free run to the qb every time lol. Its not like hes taking on tough blocks and using his hands to shed. For how fast he is supposed to be his first step isnt all that quick to my eye either. All those things can obviously be worked on....but it just shows how raw he is. We will either coach him up and he'll be great....or we wont and he wont be great. Washburn should prove to be valuable in his development. Good pick.

Agreed on it being the right value and the Lions were limited. Mayhew made the most of it. He fits the scheme though and you know they'll have him just running up the field like a mad man next to Suh/Fairely. Hopefully at Right End. Jones will be the left end and hopefully better in run defense than Avril.

its not about what you or anybody else is fine with. its about having what's considered the best draft possible assuming every team before and after you drafted optimal in terms of value. as it stands now, Mayhew is not on par to have that draft...

everyone and their mother knew the 4-3 DE was going to be there at the top of the second. just so happens we drafted one 25 picks before the next team felt the need and now have to try and nail a pick when we could easily have our pick of the litter when it comes to rushers. . .

Maybe one didn't go until 19 picks later because Ansah was the best on the board.

Agreed on it being the right value and the Lions were limited. Mayhew made the most of it. He fits the scheme though and you know they'll have him just running up the field like a mad man next to Suh/Fairely. Hopefully at Right End. Jones will be the left end and hopefully better in run defense than Avril.

That's the thing is I've read that he is already a solid run defender which will keep him on the field more while allowing him to progress on his pass rush ability.

Next favorite DEs on the board for me: Cornelius Washington, Quantarius Smith, Tank Carradine. Werner was my second fav but he's gone.

there's literally 4-5 guys who could immediately go into a 3 man rotation with Willie and Jason and do exactly what Ansah is gonna do next year... unless he's a 10+ sack a year guy in year 1! anything other and he's providing the exact same/worse value than a guy we can get at 36, imo.

otoh we could've taken Milliner, solidified our back end. or taken one of the Guards, beefed up the Oline, and still been able to get the pass rusher at 36.

sure I could be biased (which I don't really have a reason to be being a Mayhew supporter) but it doesn't mean my plan isn't sufficiently optimal to what we're lining up to do. . .

bottom line is we're lined up to either pull a major reach tomorrow or somehow pull off a trade back. former is much more likely than the latter, imo, which is an L in terms of having the best draft possible!

Young is trash, Jones is versatile but hasnt really proven shit and Lewis never played. Ansah was a no-brainer IMO.

And i did like Miliner but 5 surgeries? Thats some scary shit.

Ansah was not a reach...

Young is trash, Jones is versatile but hasnt really proven shit and Lewis never played. Ansah was a no-brainer IMO.

And i did like Miliner but 5 surgeries? Thats some scary shit.

Ansah was not a reach...

Completely agree with you. If he wasnt taken at 5 the browns would've taken him at 6.

so if the Lions go 6-10 this year you're willing to give schwartz/mayhew a pass? and you're in the majority on this??? after all Ansah could just as likely get 5 sacks next year as he could 15!

I find that hard to believe considering your opinion would be in the minority on this board, today, and that's before something as bad as a 6 and 10 season took place!

in the eyes of a lot of fans if they don't go 9-7+ then this regime needs to be replaced. I don't necessarily agree with this but I get the criticism. was Ansah the best player available at 5 to achieve this goal considering the holes we have and what everybody assumed would be available at the top of the second? not even close...

BPA available nothing... this was clearly not a BPA pick and anybody who argues so is high!

if you can't even plan out a draft that's going to fall pretty obvious into the 2nd round, then, welp, sorry Mayhew, maybe broadcasting is more your cup of tea.

If the Lions go 6-10, then yes, heads should roll 100%. But you're not going to blame Ansah, are you? Five or fifteen sacks shouldnt determine their record....not entirely anyways

Who cares what he's wearing? Why is everyone so fixated on that?

And who the fuck is Lawrence Jackson anyways? I'll take a kid with freakish athletic ability and tremendous upside over a backup any day all day.

Discussion over

This... LOL

If the Lions go 6-10, then yes, heads should roll 100%. But you're not going to blame Ansah, are you? Five or fifteen sacks shouldnt determine their record....not entirely anyways

Exactly, what if he does what Mario Williams did. Have 5 sacks his rookie year then bust loose for 14 the next year?

Right. They have way more holes, Ansah potentially fills one but I think he is a bit of a gamble at the next level as he may get ate up by the pro's or at least in the beginning. He more than likely will look over-matched his first year. However, he may take his skill set and conditioning to another level when coached up, that is my hope anyway.

Last edited:
Right. They have way more holes, Ansah potentially fills one but I think he is a bit of a gamble at the next level as he may get ate up by the pro's or at least in the beginning. He more than likely will look over-matched his first year. However, he may take his skill set and conditioning to another level when coached up, that is my hope anyway.

By Detroit Lions coaches, yeah :hehe:

By Detroit Lions coaches, yeah :hehe:

Chris Houston and LoJack played better in Detroit than they did their previous stops. As did Scheffler and Rob Sims. Houston has plays WAY above his level of play at Atlanta.

Tulloch has slipped a little, probably more because of scheme than coaching, though.

Nate and KVB were solid, though neither really played to their paycheck. But we're the Lions.....just like the '04 Tigers had to pay big money to have any FA even look at them.

Chris Houston and LoJack played better in Detroit than they did their previous stops. As did Scheffler and Rob Sims. Houston has plays WAY above his level of play at Atlanta.

Tulloch has slipped a little, probably more because of scheme than coaching, though.

Nate and KVB were solid, though neither really played to their paycheck. But we're the Lions.....just like the '04 Tigers had to pay big money to have any FA even look at them.

Its called more experience. Plus, Houston isn't any better than he was with Atlanta. Scheffler isn't any better either, he had solid years in Denver. Sims to, with his former team. We all knew we were getting a good player.

Back