Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Losing Tulloch

Ya...dumb plan. Its not working. See the new orleans game. 0 pressure, 0 coverage, 0 run support, 0 4th downs....all because the dline didnt live up to expectations.

mhughes0021 said:
Ya...dumb plan. Its not working. See the new orleans game. 0 pressure, 0 coverage, 0 run support, 0 4th downs....all because the dline didnt live up to expectations.
0 4th downs? What?

0-1 in the playoffs with a 23 year old QB? wow, that's one hell of a sample size to base your assumptions on. do you always bust out the jump to conclusions mat at the first possible chance?

lionsftw said:
0-1 in the playoffs with a 23 year old QB? wow, that's one hell of a sample size to base your assumptions on. do you always bust out the jump to conclusions mat at the first possible chance?

Office. Space.

lp4ever41 said:
mhughes0021 said:
0 4th downs? What?

0 pressure? 2 sacks one that was recovered for a fumble and returned for a TD if not for inadvertent whistle. Suh also had a QB hit on Brees that should have been picked by Aaron Berry down 24-21. Saints also went for it on at least two 4th downs. Delmas wasn't 100%, Houston hurt his shoulder in the 2nd(see only 10 points then a million points in the second half with other CBs on the outside) and Spievey played with a concussion from the 2nd Quarter on. Brees is tough as it is no matter the D, throw 3 secondary injuries on top of it, plus a botched onside kick and Stafford pick with Titus Young slipping at midfield and you got 45 points given up in a hurry.

Lions need to figure out how to maintain Avril, Tulloch and continue to draft well.

lp4ever41 said:
mhughes0021 said:
0 4th downs? What?

Ya coulda explained that better lol...we never forced them to punt the entire game. Sorry.

lionskillpack said:
lp4ever41 said:
0 4th downs? What?

0 pressure? 2 sacks one that was recovered for a fumble and returned for a TD if not for inadvertent whistle. Suh also had a QB hit on Brees that should have been picked by Aaron Berry down 24-21. Saints also went for it on at least two 4th downs. Delmas wasn't 100%, Houston hurt his shoulder in the 2nd(see only 10 points then a million points in the second half with other CBs on the outside) and Spievey played with a concussion from the 2nd Quarter on. Brees is tough as it is no matter the D, throw 3 secondary injuries on top of it, plus a botched onside kick and Stafford pick with Titus Young slipping at midfield and you got 45 points given up in a hurry.

Lions need to figure out how to maintain Avril, Tulloch and continue to draft well.
4 qb hits and 2 sacks in 43 pass attempts....yippie! That's getting pressure once every 10 passes. Awesome.

lionsftw said:
read my previous post and it will explain my stance better...that was one example.

mhughes0021 said:
lionskillpack said:

4 qb hits and 2 sacks in 43 pass attempts....yippie! That's getting pressure once every 10 passes. Awesome.

Stafford was sacked 0 times and the Saints won. Lions got more pressure than the Saints and forced a big turnover from it(that should have been a td up 21-7) and should have forced another big one(Suh hit down 24-21) if Berry could catch. Not to mention a bad spot early on 3rd down on the Saints drive making it 24-14 from 17-14 that should have forced a punt. Saints went for it on 4th and 2 later and refs missed block in the back on the Wright allowing Sproles FD run on the 24-21 to 31-21 Saints td drive. Plus the utter lack of holding called against the Saints(Schwartz noted this). Lions could have got more pressure but the Saints have a good Oline and were at home. But they didn't get zero pressure. Lions Dline made some plays as did Tulloch on the forced fumble. Lions Dline strategy is working before secondary injuries and once they got down it snowballed.

Depth is needed in the secondary which is why Wright at nickel and a drafted CB early would be nice.

And it was working until Thanksgiving when the secondary injuries hit big time. Tons of turnovers, good pressure and low amounts of yardage given up in the pass game. Plus near tops in the league in 3rd down stop percentage and very good short yardage run D all year. One game is not enough to say the Dline strategy isnt' working. Especially when teams like the Giants win the Super bowl.

Spievey experiment should be over...he isnt any good. I would love Barron

lionskillpack said:
And it was working until Thanksgiving when the secondary injuries hit big time. Tons of turnovers, good pressure and low amounts of yardage given up in the pass game. Plus near tops in the league in 3rd down stop percentage and very good short yardage run D all year. One game is not enough to say the Dline strategy isnt' working. Especially when teams like the Giants win the Super bowl.
or I think its fair to say when we started playing good teams it stopped working. The run defense was horrid most of the year....when toby gerhardt goes off on you thats usually going to be a problem. There were several phases the dline wasnt up to par at. Pressure the 2nd half of the season was just 1 of them. bottom line is yhe defense regressed last year....if you lose tulloch because you want to resign a scrub cb than it will regress again next year.

martmay said:

I'm warming to a safety in the first, that was my only issue with Barron who is a stud.

cheeno said:
martmay said:

I'm warming to a safety in the first, that was my only issue with Barron who is a stud.

would love a new safety and definitely would love barron. Problem with pulling one out of the draft its barron or bust.....safety position comming out this year is horrid. Might have to look to FA for a starter if theres any cap room left. Griffin would be great.

mhughes0021 said:
cheeno said:

would love a new safety and definitely would love barron. Problem with pulling one out of the draft its barron or bust.....safety position comming out this year is horrid. Might have to look to FA for a starter if theres any cap room left. Griffin would be great.

Love Barron but hate drafting a safety in Rd 1 unless he is Ed Reed. Markelle Martin from OSU could be a good safety prospect. Griffin would be money in FA.

mhughes0021 said:
lionskillpack said:
or I think its fair to say when we started playing good teams it stopped working. The run defense was horrid most of the year....when toby gerhardt goes off on you thats usually going to be a problem. There were several phases the dline wasnt up to par at. Pressure the 2nd half of the season was just 1 of them. bottom line is yhe defense regressed last year....if you lose tulloch because you want to resign a scrub cb than it will regress again next year.

I think it's fair to say we played some very good offenses(the best we faced all year) when the Lions were missing alot of important defensive players(especially in the secondary where they had little depth). Injuries will happen but they were concentrated injuries at certain positions. That may not happen and the Lions have another draft to get some more depth in the secondary.

And Gerhart did have a good game but the real problem was the switch to Webb mid game against a banged up tired defense (totally different strategy to Ponder). Look who was missing, Suh, Fairley, Lawrence Jackson, Willie Young(played hurt due to other injuries and Fluellen played at DE some), Durant(played only first series for Carpenter), Chris Houston, Louis Delmas and Berry got hurt in the second quarter before the Vikings started scoring picking on Don Carey and Alphonso Smith. We got Jovan Haye off the street to play some DT that game and Rashied Davis had to play some corner(also played on Thanksgiving).

cheeno said:
martmay said:

The safety from Notre Dame (Smith?) is turning some heads. Deon didn't know if he was a CB or S at first because he was so fluid. A big body who can cover TE's.....

Back