Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lost my little Lion today...

MalFunkShun

I know I don't post much here anymore, but I needed to do some form of coping today. I lost my best feline friend today after 11 years of a wonderful friendship, Fred. He has been on my lap and helped keep me calm through all the BS Detroit sports have had me endure since the day I got him.

He was my first pet that I ever got, my first bit of responsibility in this world. My neighbor/friend had a litter of cats (inbred, because what is neutering?) and when I was over there I loved his determination to explore the house, only to be grabbed by neck by his dad/brother and taken back to mom. He would always grab the ground and try to escape to get back to exploring. I loved his determination and asked if I could have him. So, at 8 weeks old, I took him back to my place so he could explore all that he wanted to. He was skiddish at first, but I coddled the hell out of him until he felt safe. Now, when I say I got him from my neighbor I mean he literally was 10 feet from my place (apartment) and one of my best friends. On occasion, the party would spill over a little bit to my place and I was more concerned about my cat than any belongings. He usually hid but found a few select people he would tolerate.

He lasted through several relationships, but he helped pick my wife when she fell asleep in my bed and he cuddled up next to her and held her hand while she slept. It wasn't hard for ME to get affection from him, but for anyone else it was quite the challenge.

One of my favorite memories of him is that he would hide under my bed and if I had people come over I turned on the "Jaws" theme song and he would eventually come out from underneath the bed and playfully "tag" someone before running back underneath. Stupid memory? Sure, but it makes me smile.

Fred's name started off as a tribute to Freddy Mercury, but after one episode he was temporarily named after Freddy Kruger. If you've seen Christmas Vacation, and I hope you have, remember the squirrel being attached to the back of Clark? Yeah, I was sitting facing the opposite direction of him one day and he wanted to jump on my shoulder but didn't make it. His claws, however, told me he was getting up there anyways.

Cats have their own personality, and his was just wonderful. He never demanded attention, he would sit by me and follow me everywhere. He was my guard cat when I used the bathroom. He didn't get mad and walk away if I didn't pet him, he'd just sit there and be happy. I'd pick him up during the Lion's games and he'd be happy as hell just laying on my lap. If I had to pick any game, it was probably the Jet's game from this past year where he helped out the most by making sure I didn't break anything.

Sorry for the long write-up, no one probably cares because I haven't posted here in so long but I needed to cope somehow, and writing about him was the best way I could think of.

I hope this message finds you all well, give your pets a hug for me today.

Attachments

• Fred.jpg
    Fred.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
Sorry, buddy. As a relatively new cat-owner (based on my son wanting a cat despite my allergies), our guy Wilton (yes, named after the M QB by said son) is a cool dude, very social and more fun than past cats I've known.

never easy to lose a pet ...my condolences.

Sorry, buddy. As a relatively new cat-owner (based on my son wanting a cat despite my allergies), our guy Wilton (yes, named after the M QB by said son) is a cool dude, very social and more fun than past cats I've known.

never easy to lose a pet ...my condolences.

Yes same.

Very tough.

Over the years I?ve lost three dogs who were very dear to me.

They were all great big shepherds/huskies, but they were my little babies.

Put to sleep two ferrets, two cats and a dog and our cat is 10. So I know what you are going through. Very sorry.

Sorry for your the loss of Fred your cat MalFunkShun.
Our pets cats and dogs are like family members to us. Sometimes alot better as you can pick your friends, and pets, but not your blood family.
Hopefully with passage of time it won't hurt as much as now.

Last edited:
Lost both our cats to the road within an 7 month span between 2017/2018 scraped them both off the road and buried them one was old the other 7, it was difficult, especially on the kids, my dad was also homeless at the time and living with us after grandma died when the first younger one got hit, the emotion all hit at once, it?s OK to break down and let the emotions out, I too felt like nobody cared, and still do to some degree but it does get better with time, best advice give it a few weeks and then get another, open new chapters when your able.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about it malfunkshun. sounds like he was a good cat.

losing a pet is tough, especially when they grow up with you. I still miss CanineChamp sometimes, and it's been 10 years since he passed.

Thanks for the messages, everyone. It's not the first pet I've lost. Since I was 6 (now 33) my mom had been breeding/selling dogs. So I've been around the block of losing pets... just... having my own pass is a different story.

My two other cats have taken notice to what's happened and have been a great crutch to my wife and I. It doesn't fill that hole but they're cats and they're doing the best they can.

Thank you all for the support.

Last edited:
Back