Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Marinades?

zoombabyzoom

Hey guys I have recently started marinating beef, steak, and pork. Very new to it all but find it fun. Any tips/suggestions?

I was going to create this thread about a week back. Please reply michigandad!!!!!!!!

I brine stuff overnight before smoking, but I don't have experience with marinades. However, we've got this place called Blue Sky Oil and Vinegar that has me thinking about marinades. Some of those specialty flavored vinegars are really impressive.

I've been expirmenting using all sorts of combinations. Vinegar, Worcester, Black Pepper, Garlic Pepper, Lemon Pepper, Garlic Salt, Frank's Red Hot, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, etc.

I like a dry rub marinade. There are several that can be found at your local grocery store that are good.

However I prefer "Bone Suckin Sauce" it is great on pork. They also make a wet sauce that you can add with it.

For steaks, a black and white rub is my favorite. You can't to wrong with the tried and true salt and pepper. However you will have to experiment on proportions to suit your taste.

Last edited:
I don't use rubs or marinades. In fact, I don't even cook my meat.

I just rip a bloody hunk of flesh off a carcass and eat it raw while growling like a wolf.

can't go wrong with tried and true raw meat. unless you get some sort of parasite from it.

In a pinch plain old italian dressing works great for chicken, beef, and pork.

You can always add some to it, like a little balsamic, red wive vinegar, liquid smoke, hot sauce, etc.

I have found most pre-bottled marinades disappointing.

This is gonna sound stupid but exactly is a rub? Some type of seasoning that you rub into the meat?

If someone here tells me how to make good Teriyaki sauce / marinade I will be most pleased.

What goes into a dry rub?

* Reason I ask all these questions is because I don't cook. Matter of fact like two years ago I finally successfully made mashed potatoes.

What goes into a dry rub?

* Reason I ask all these questions is because I don't cook. Matter of fact like two years ago I finally successfully made mashed potatoes.

read LostLeader's post above.

it can really be anything as simple as salt and pepper. it depends on taste. You can add anything to that... chili powder, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper... rub it into the meat before cooking.

if you are really that culinarily inept... maybe go on amazon and search for cookbooks.

I worked as a prep cook after my senior year of high school. I learned how to make a couple things & you can always "riff" on a recipe to mix it up.

one was for roasted red potatoes... goes well as a side with steak.

quarter red potatoes... mix the quartered potatoes with an oil, pepper, kosher salt, rosemary, and minced garlic. cover a cooking pan with aluminum foil, spread potatoes on foil, and cook in the oven until light brown all over. voila.

Speaking of steak, salt, and pepper, I keep a box of Morton's salt around, the coarse stuff. Pour a layer of salt over the steak. Completely cover both sides; so much salt it takes several seconds for the salt to soak up enough juice to stick. Don't just sprinkle it on. Pat it on with your hand. Like 1/16" layer over the whole thing. Let it sit while you get the grill going and get other stuff ready (30 min-1hr or so). Then rinse off the salt and add pepper to taste to both sides. After grilling, don't cut into the steaks to check doneness. Let them sit 5 minutes before cutting into them.

I never thought of that as a dry rub because for some reason, I always associated dry rubs with bigger pieces of meat and other spices...but I guess technically it might count. I saw someone prepare a steak that way and that's how I've done it ever since.

Last edited:
Speaking of steak, salt, and pepper, I keep a box of Morton's salt around, the coarse stuff. Pour a layer of salt over the steak. Completely cover both sides; so much salt it takes several seconds for the salt to soak up enough juice to stick. Don't just sprinkle it on. Pat it on with your hand. Like 1/16" layer over the whole thing. Let it sit while you get the grill going and get other stuff ready (30 min-1hr or so). Then rinse off the salt and add pepper to taste to both sides. After grilling, don't cut into the steaks to check doneness. Let them sit 5 minutes before cutting into them.

To add to this, let your meat warm up a bit. Don't take it out of the fridge, and just throw it on a grill.

I heat the grill and almost sear both sides of the meat(steak), then turn the heat down once you have cauterized the outside fibers. This will lock the juice in. Never cut or penetrate the meat, if you do you have lost flavor you will never get back...

To add to this, let your meat warm up a bit. Don't take it out of the fridge, and just throw it on a grill.

I heat the grill and almost sear both sides of the meat(steak), then turn the heat down once you have cauterized the outside fibers. This will lock the juice in. Never cut or penetrate the meat, if you do you have lost flavor you will never get back...

Exactly. You can think of the steak like a water balloon. Don't pop it until it's sat that 5 minutes after grilling. The searing seals in juice that runs freely during cooking but will reabsorb as it cools in that 5 minutes. You puncture it before that, you lose all that juice.

Last edited:
Back