Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

May the Long and Winding Road Lead You to Hell

tinselwolverine

Phil Spector departed, age 81.

Had Covid-19 at the time of death; LA County coroner not yet determined the cause of death.

What are the odds that the LA County Coroner will declare the cause of death as NOT related to Covid on Wednesday, Jan 20 at 9:01 AM Pacific time?

Phil Spector departed, age 81.

Had Covid-19 at the time of death; LA County coroner not yet determined the cause of death.

What are the odds that the LA County Coroner will declare the cause of death as NOT related to Covid on Wednesday, Jan 20 at 9:01 AM Pacific time?

The real question is what kind of car was the coroner driving before Covid and what is he driving now?

Phil Spector absolutely abused the original version of Let It Be and turned it into mush. Faul McCartney was incensed; Lennon supported the over-produced version. Lennon also wanted to release the original to "break the myth" of the Beatles. "McCartney" released the re-mastered original in 2003 (titled Let It Be...Naked) and I think it is much better than the "over-produced" (to quote George Martin) version that was released on May 8, 1970.

Last edited:
Phil Spector absolutely abused the original version of Let It Be and turned it into mush. Faul McCartney was incensed; Lennon supported the over-produced version. Lennon also wanted to release the original to "break the myth" of the Beatles. "McCartney" released the re-mastered original in 2003 (titled Let It Be...Naked) and I think it is much better than the "over-produced" (to quote George Martin) version that was released on May 8, 1970.
That reminds me, I think Peter Jackson is doing a documentary.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/peter-jackson-beatles-sneak-peek-1106383/

Last edited:

The film by Linsday-Hogg had the appeal of a rotten potato. I fell asleep in the theater. The best part was the spat between George and Faul over his "solo" on "I've Got a Feeling."

George to Faul: "Yeah, okay, well, I don't mind. I'll play, you know, whatever you want me to play. Or I won't play at all if you don't want me to play, you know. Whatever it is that'll please you, I'll do it."

Last edited:
The one by Linsday-Hogg had the appeal of a rotten potato. I fell asleep in the theater. The best part was the spat between George and Faul over his "solo" on "I've Got a Feeling."
This one is reported to show more of them having fun and enjoying what they're doing.

There was a documentary that came out a couple years ago, "30 Feet From Stardom" or something like that. Had stories of really talented people that for one reason or another (mostly bad luck) never hit it big, while a lot of no-talent hacks became superstars.

The female background singer in the Rolling Stones' hit "Gimme Shelter" was one of those interviewed.

Wonder how much of that was due to no-talent hacks perpetuating themselves (promoting people like themselves or that didn't threaten them)? or (maybe in the case of the Beatles and Spector) bad judgment by otherwise talented people (Lennon), or simple beneficiaries from being on one side or the other of really dumb disputes within bands?

I've watched a few "behind the music" documentaries, and I get what a producer does. Spector seems like such a fucking moron that I figured he lucked out producing a couple hits early in his career, or with his "wall of sound" innovation - which never sounded that innovative when I heard it described. And after that, people kept going back to him, even though he was a terrible person.

Why is this thread on the politics board? so it gets more eyeballs?

There was a documentary that came out a couple years ago, "30 Feet From Stardom" or something like that. Had stories of really talented people that for one reason or another (mostly bad luck) never hit it big, while a lot of no-talent hacks became superstars.

My tin-foil hat side of me says they are pre-selected and some are just not willing to endure the sacrifice (in the true sense of the word) of being a huge presence in the music industry.

The female background singer in the Rolling Stones' hit "Gimme Shelter" was one of those interviewed.

Mary Clayton? What a gig. Being able to sing/perform without the trappings. Same for guitar players like Lee Rittenour and Chet Atkins (though he was his own performer, too). Same with Glen Campbell, who started out as a session man.

Wonder how much of that was due to no-talent hacks perpetuating themselves (promoting people like themselves or that didn't threaten them)? or (maybe in the case of the Beatles and Spector) bad judgment by otherwise talented people (Lennon), or simple beneficiaries from being on one side or the other of really dumb disputes within bands?

Lennon did not consider himself as "talented." He considered him and the band as "mechanics" according to a podcast I listened to. I did not read or hear the direct quote, however. He was ever critical of his guitar skills. I think The Beatles got a lot of assistance in regards to their songwriting and studio sessions.

I've watched a few "behind the music" documentaries, and I get what a producer does. Spector seems like such a fucking moron that I figured he lucked out producing a couple hits early in his career, or with his "wall of sound" innovation - which never sounded that innovative when I heard it described. And after that, people kept going back to him, even though he was a terrible person.

I can speculate that whatever narrative that emits from those documentaries are the official ones.

This one is reported to show more of them having fun and enjoying what they're doing.

I saw the excerpts and it is like they are a different band. I remember when they disbanded it seemed like the logical next step. Having seen that footage, now I wonder what really happened. I have a theory, but I can't prove it.

I saw the excerpts and it is like they are a different band. I remember when they disbanded it seemed like the logical next step. Having seen that footage, now I wonder what really happened. I have a theory, but I can't prove it.
There's a Beatles edition of Guitar Hero that needed some last minute rework because Yoko Ono objected to the characters not looking happy enough while they played.

It was a fun little game if you can't actually play guitar.
https://vimeo.com/12046996

There's a Beatles edition of Guitar Hero that needed some last minute rework because Yoko Ono objected to the characters not looking happy enough while they played.

It was a fun little game if you can't actually play guitar.
https://vimeo.com/12046996

I liked the way South Park parodied her in the "Worldwide Recorder Concert"
episode.

latest

I liked the way South Park parodied her in the "Worldwide Recorder Concert"
episode.

Yeah, I have a vague negative impression of her and not much knowledge to base any opinions on, but when I read that was her objection to that game, it's seemed like a reasonable thing that would be requested out of good intentions.

Yeah, I have a vague negative impression of her and not much knowledge to base any opinions on, but when I read that was her objection to that game, it's seemed like a reasonable thing that would be requested out of good intentions.

Seems we don't have any first hand, or even unbiased/balanced 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the crazy stories about her & their relationship were true. Similar to the Courtney Love/Kurt Cobain stories.

strong undercurrents of jealousy and professional envy could underly both those stories... or maybe their bandmates/friends/hangers-on just made that stuff up after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faul and George definitely objected to Yoko's presence in studio. George and John got into a fist fight over it, according to the IMDB trivia section on the movie Let it Be.

I mean Yoko put an apple on a stand at an art show in London in November, 1966 where she and John met and wanted $200 for it. Then John took a bite out of it and Yoko was furious. But that's the official narrative, so who really knows what really happened?

Yoko should have had that bite certified and charged $200,000 for the apple.

Last edited:
Faul and George definitely objected to Yoko's presence in studio. George and John got into a fist fight over it, according to the IMDB trivia section on the movie Let it Be.

I mean Yoko put an apple on a stand at an art show on 11-9-1966 (or 11-7-1966) where she and John met and wanted $200 for it. Then John took a bite out of it and Yoko was furious. But that's the official narrative, so who really knows what really happened?

So... she was way ahead of her time?

Banart4.jpg

a guy supposedly charged $120K for this (and got it, if the reports are to be believed)

Like somebody?s milestones home run?

Once that apple leaves that art exhibit, there?s so way to prove those are really John Lennon?s teeth marks.

Back