Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MBA

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Thanks Cheeno,

I always finish something that I invest money in. As for the debt I should be able to pay that off after one year in a better job, because most online degrees run around 25K (least the ones I'm looking at). ...

um. that's probably not going to happen. Unless you are a statistical outlier, or live in a tent and put 75% of your take home pay toward the principle of the loan each month, you are not going to pay off $25K in a year.

I would also be skeptical that the final cost ends up being what they tell you. Add in books, fees, etc. and it's going to be more.

and the interest on the loans you take out is adding up constantly. You really need to consider these figures more carefully.

employment stats upon graduation and starting salaries are also notoriously inflated. Even well-respected institutions have been caught doing this, and the online schools pretty much create their numbers out of thin air.

methinks you have not been googling the correct information.

I paid off my 15K loan in 4 years while making the money I do now. I specialize in making some money equal more money. I know the projections are like 80K and more, I only want 50K. Which is nearly 25K more than what I make.

MichChamp02 said:
the most important part of education from a job standpoint is the connections you make with fellow students.

I don't imagine you make as many connections studying online...

I have an MBA and going back to get it is the single best academic/professional decision I have ever made. And I agree with MC on the class vs on-line. Most every major university now offers plenty of courses on-line as it is. What I did was typically one class on campus and one on-line ...and since I was working fulltime while getting my MBA from Colorado, the on-line flexibility was great BUT ... the face time on campus with others is what got me the job I have now.

And I would definitely caution anyone relying too much on those comp projections -- increasingly, an MBA (or any Masters degree) is more and more common. When my father was hiring back in the day, he said an MBA was "equal to 10yrs work experience" and now I would say it's more of a way to round out your business background and distinguish yourself from BA holders ... not necessarily having $$$ thrown at you just because you have an MBA.

I just want to get a better job, and can't think of any other way to nab one. What else can I do if I don't have any "connections"? I have everything else (besides MBA)

Indiana University. I have my MBA from there. Started in Indiana but had to finish up doing online classes and was a good experience.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I just want to get a better job, and can't think of any other way to nab one. What else can I do if I don't have any "connections"? I have everything else (besides MBA)

Exactly. Going back to get an MBA creates "connections" and they're typically higher caliber connections and people of like interests. Harder to make "connections" on-line, that's more the MO to get the degree.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I just want to get a better job, and can't think of any other way to nab one. What else can I do if I don't have any "connections"? I have everything else (besides MBA)

Dude get the degree, the economy will turn around and you won't need connections.

GMAT, anyone have anything to say on that. I gotta take it before getting accepted into a program

GMAT, anyone have anything to say on that. I gotta take it before getting accepted into a program

I didn't find it particular difficult but such a long time ago. Also, I think different schools will accept different scores. But you probably knew that. But with all the study instruments you can get these days it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know anything about the GMAT, but I can tell you that putting in a few hours a week with a test prep book did bring my GRE score up over the course of a few months.

Focus on your weakness, which for most people is math.

Im good with Math actually, I can do most of it in my head too. My main problem is that I freak out about tests.

Im good with Math actually, I can do most of it in my head too. My main problem is that I freak out about tests.

Take a lot of practice tests. After the first few once you think you've got it down start timing yourself accurately.

Hey guys I did well enough on the GMAT today to get into Wayne State. Starting finishing up some of the application stuff right now. After that get to do the whole loan crap lol.

P.S. that test is awful. I did multiple practice tests and I raped the Math sections and did well I believe on my essasys. Meanwhile I was hurting with the reasoning and reading sections. However, when I took the actual test I straight out bombed the Math (almost all the questions were those that weren't supposed to be on it; stuff I was rusty on in high school (10yrs ago)). And aced the reading comprehension and critical thinking sections. The essays I believe I did great on too.

Hey guys I did well enough on the GMAT today to get into Wayne State. Starting finishing up some of the application stuff right now. After that get to do the whole loan crap lol.

P.S. that test is awful. I did multiple practice tests and I raped the Math sections and did well I believe on my essasys. Meanwhile I was hurting with the reasoning and reading sections. However, when I took the actual test I straight out bombed the Math (almost all the questions were those that weren't supposed to be on it; stuff I was rusty on in high school (10yrs ago)). And aced the reading comprehension and critical thinking sections. The essays I believe I did great on too.

Congrats zoom! You'll definitely have Federal Plus Loan eligibility to help with funding. Good luck!

Congrats man. Wayne State Warrior in the house. You are going to have to start rooting for some Joique Bell touches.

Excellent. Congrats! It's tough to take a test like that after a 2 year gap from the material. 10 is remarkable.

Nice work and Congrats! When I took the GMAT I scored in the 35th percentile for Math and in the 97th percentile for the analytical portion and got a 6/6 on the Essay.

Being an English major, my buddy at Princeton Review at the time said I was essentially the polar opposite of almost every other MBA GMAT taker who would excel in Math and struggle with the other stuff.

In the end, who cares ...you're in and all you have to do is stay in now

Back