Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mel Pearson fired

Michchamp

Link:
Mel Pearson is out as Michigan Wolverines hockey coach Friday, after the school declined to renew his contract.
Pearson had been under scrutiny since the beginning of the 2021-22 season, when a complaint was formally filed against him and then-director of hockey operations Rick Bancroft.

The allegations against Pearson ranged from ?pressuring students to lie on their COVID-19 tracing forms? prior to the 2021 NCAA tournament, to creating a "toxic work environment" for female support staff and claims that he retaliated against a former student athlete for bringing up issues with team culture.
He also lied during the investigation. Sounds like he was just kinda generally being an asshole.

According to the radio they sat on it for a few months. They had this report for 2 months. Manuel still wanted to resign him even after a 8-0 vote against Mel by the regents. Thanks mitch I'm driving For my part time job and can't post anything.

Last edited:
Michigan should do better. GO BLUE! Michigan hockey is a great program. They should be able to attract a great coach. Best in north America! Go and get him!!

University of Michigan Names Brandon Naurato Interim Hockey Coach
DANIEL CHAVKINAUG 7, 2022
The University of Michigan announced it is hiring Brandon Naurato as their next hockey head coach.

We are fortunate to have someone of Brandon Naurato?s caliber to lead our ice hockey team for the upcoming year,? director of athletics Warde Manuel said in a statement. ?I had conversations with many individuals who care greatly about this program and appreciate the insight they shared. Brandon will do a great job leading the program, and I look forward to our student-athletes and staff benefiting from his leadership.?

Naurato played college hockey at Michigan from 2006 to ?09, playing in 130 games and four NCAA tournaments. After graduating, he bounced around minor hockey leagues but never made it to the NHL.

After three years working with the Red Wings organization, Naurato joined Michigan as an assistant coach last season.

?I am honored to lead my alma mater and will give everything I have to what is the most storied program in college hockey,? said Naurato. ?I want to thank Warde Manuel and our student-athletes for their trust and look forward to working positively with our talented coaching and support staff.?

Michigan needed a new hockey coach after firing Mel Pearson amid an investigation into the team?s culture. Among the accusations made against Pearson were misleading recruits, encouraging players to give false information on COVID-19 forms and failing to hold a staff member accountable for mistreating female staff members.

Back