Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mel Tucker is a terrible coach

you got the win!

I hear he's doing amazing things in East Lansing! "Building something special."

I watched a recording and spread out in chunks. At what point in the game was this post? Right after the failed 4th and goal call? Or maybe after we racked up our 590th yard in penalties (side note, Horst doesn?t have the head for the game - guy is good for minimum of 1 PF or Unsportsmanlike every game).

Have to say it?s pretty great that wisco (my least favorite pre-expansion team) is so bad we can be pretty awful and still look like the better team. They made our defense look pretty good at times, except Halladay and vansumerin, they both still look lost (Windmon can cover better than them, that INT was a great play). I?ve crapped on Thorne a lot this year so I have to give him credit for what looked like a pretty solid 2nd half. Reed looked a lot more like the guy from last season, hope that means he?s 100% recovered and continues to play like the old Reed. Coleman is a stud, hope he sticks around for awhile. And how about that corner blitz? What?s that, our second of the season? Be nice if they start doing more of that.

Last edited:
I posted this after he tried playing for a 50 yard fg at the end of regulation instead of using the last 50 seconds to get closer. Then had to rush the fg team on with a running clock to try said fg.

As far as Thorne goes, his wrs made the tough diving catches down field and Carr was so open even he couldn't miss that throw.

Xavier Henderson should get Scotty Hazelton's salary. He was clearly making all the calls on defense and for once players weren't out of position all game.

That was pretty awful - certainly not the only bad call but probably the worst. I should also add it was really frustrating to watch them run tempo a couple times and be less prepared than wisco?s defense.

Yeah, the receivers certainly made Thorne?s stat line look better (which is often the case when you have a couple really good ones). Carr was wide open but he hit him in stride instead of making him stop or turnaround - not an amazing throw but better than we?re accustomed to. I actually said out loud ?holy shit, he didn?t throw behind him? when I watched the play and my 8 year yelled from the other room ?I heard that dad. Don?t use that word.? Don?t get me wrong, I?m not jumping on the Thorne bandwagon, I?m just saying that was probably his best half all year.

The secondary looked better but I?m not getting my hopes up - we don?t get to play Wisco again this season.

Last edited:
Windmon in Vansumerin's spot was a big upgrade too. It's just nice that they were able to stop anyone's passing game, I don't care who it was

I was obviously happy to break the skid, especially since I was at the game. However, the coaching that entire final drive in regulation was absolutely maddening, from the plodding playcalls as if we were content with a 45+ FG attempt with our awful kicking game, to the stupid final timeout and then doubling down on that with a playcall that was so bad I can?t even put it into words. It was the most John L Smith esque shit I?ve seen from us since JLS himself.

Our running game was absolute crap basically all game. I thought Thorne had some bad decisions but honestly it was probably his best game all year. Reed and Coleman are so damn good. I wish we?d use Carr more because I think he is massively underutilized.

Defensively I thought we were decent. Granted my expectations are zero so the bar is low and Wisconsin is just awful offensively (especially Mertz) so I still have zero faith going forward that we?ve turned some corner. The dropped INTs in OT1 and then wide open WR for the Wisconsin TD 2 plays later were just laughable. I still go into every third down with a thought that there?s like a 75% chance we?re going to allow a conversion.

I was obviously happy to break the skid, especially since I was at the game. However, the coaching that entire final drive in regulation was absolutely maddening, from the plodding playcalls as if we were content with a 45+ FG attempt with our awful kicking game, to the stupid final timeout and then doubling down on that with a playcall that was so bad I can?t even put it into words. It was the most John L Smith esque shit I?ve seen from us since JLS himself.

Our running game was absolute crap basically all game. I thought Thorne had some bad decisions but honestly it was probably his best game all year. Reed and Coleman are so damn good. I wish we?d use Carr more because I think he is massively underutilized.

Defensively I thought we were decent. Granted my expectations are zero so the bar is low and Wisconsin is just awful offensively (especially Mertz) so I still have zero faith going forward that we?ve turned some corner. The dropped INTs in OT1 and then wide open WR for the Wisconsin TD 2 plays later were just laughable. I still go into every third down with a thought that there?s like a 75% chance we?re going to allow a conversion.

75% is not far off - Minny was 83% for the game against and OSU was 80% on just 5 third downs until they took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter, Washington didn't punt until :40 left in the 3rd quarter. I ask myself "how are they going to blow this?" before every 3rd down snap, regardless of how long.

Last edited:
I posted this after he tried playing for a 50 yard fg at the end of regulation instead of using the last 50 seconds to get closer. Then had to rush the fg team on with a running clock to try said fg.

As far as Thorne goes, his wrs made the tough diving catches down field and Carr was so open even he couldn't miss that throw.

Xavier Henderson should get Scotty Hazelton's salary. He was clearly making all the calls on defense and for once players weren't out of position all game.

The time management and play calling were brutal then and I said the same thing to my dad about him being terrible.

Both those 4th down calls were dumb. Stupid to go for it and shit play calling on top of it. Also Horst is a complete jackass.

I have to be honest I?ve lost a lot of confidence in Tuck and this staff this season for ridiculous in game decisions and today is a prime example why. Lunacy

That last series was pretty friustrating - left at least :30 more than they should have then blew an easy FG.

Matt Milan praising Hazelton all afternoon was pretty funny. Hearing that made me think of this is probably the clearest evidence Hazelton blows and needs to be fired. Is there some kind of shitty coach code where they all praise each other or is Milan just a complete dope?

There is no words to describe how idiotic the decision was to pass the ball on 3rd down yesterday. Not to mention the delay of game with multiple timeouts in your back pocket right before that. Mel should be ripped mightily for allowing that playcall to happen. It honestly infuriated me so much a lot of my enjoyment from the win lost its luster because of how ridiculous it was.

It was ridiculous. On top of all that, I never thought I?d say this but I kinda wish Coughlin was around for a 9th year. Our kicking game is the special teams version of our pass defense.

Edit: I?m a little surprised certain posters didn?t come back to hype the win and tell us how beating a really good Illinois team (sarcasm) totally turned the season around and what a great job the coaches did and how you could see it if you paid attention to pad level, gap discipline and the 3 coverage sacks we got because of Jordan.

Last edited:
It was ridiculous. On top of all that, I never thought I?d say this but I kinda wish Coughlin was around for a 9th year. Our kicking game is the special teams version of our pass defense.

Edit: I?m a little surprised certain posters didn?t come back to hype the win and tell us how beating a really good Illinois team (sarcasm) totally turned the season around and what a great job the coaches did and how you could see it if you paid attention to pad level, gap discipline and the 3 coverage sacks we got because of Jordan.

I'm sure he'll be here soon to let everyone know that a crystal ball just flipped to msu for 5 star qb Dante Moore last night.

I'm sure he'll be here soon to let everyone know that a crystal ball just flipped to msu for 5 star qb Dante Moore last night.

Is that official? And why MSU over Oregon? Maybe he's dumb. If he wanted to stay in state, UM, EMU, Detroit Mercy (did football comeback there yet?). All better options.

Is that official? And why MSU over Oregon? Maybe he's dumb. If he wanted to stay in state, UM, EMU, Detroit Mercy (did football comeback there yet?). All better options.

I assume it was a joke. The only thing MSU could offer him is playing time, and hope he doesn't notice that their QBs tend to do the opposite of "developing into a decent QB" while in East Lansing

Actually someone did flip him from Oregon to msu, but it was Sean Scherer and he posted a subscription based article right after. I'm sure he's just trying to make a few bucks off of people like Johnny.

Back