Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Meyer Retirement

Sbee

Old news now but interesting to see how it affects MSU. It's hard for OSU to improve on Meyer, only one way to go but I don't think they skip a beat, still the dominant program in the conference. One thing that may hurt us a bit is if he focuses recruiting on Ohio more than Meyer did who kind of slow played the Ohio kids, knowing he could get them later in the recruiting cycle. If OSU takes more Ohio kids, there might be fewer Josiah Scotts and Justin Layne's out there.

I don't know - people forget that OSU didn't recruit well under Fickell because it was only 1 year. Granted there was more turmoil around the program then but Fickell was as much a name nationally as Day at least before Day's stint as interim head coach. Then Urban came around and kicked recruiting into overdrive.

Fickell wasn't Tressel and Day isn't Meyer. Not sure if that translates into opportunities for us in recruiting, but it might help if OSU's scout team doesn't have more 4 stars than we do.

Last edited:
I don't know - people forget that OSU didn't recruit well under Fickell because it was only 1 year. Granted there was more turmoil around the program then but Fickell was as much a name nationally as Day at least before Day's stint as interim head coach. Then Urban came around and kicked recruiting into overdrive.

Fickell wasn't Tressel and Day isn't Meyer. Not sure if that translates into opportunities for us in recruiting, but it might help if OSU's scout team doesn't have more 4 stars than we do.

OSU recruiting is recession proof really, I am just concerned if they start to focus on their home state early as opposed to stringing those guys along and offering late, often after they've committed to a school like MSU.

OSU recruiting is recession proof really, I am just concerned if they start to focus on their home state early as opposed to stringing those guys along and offering late, often after they've committed to a school like MSU.

they'll still out recruit us, I have no doubt about that but under Fickell, they dropped all the way to 18 - something we would kill for but WAY below the level they achieved under Meyer and Tressell. Then after Meyer's hiring was announced they shot right back to #6 and have been #2 after Alabama most years since.

Again, there was more turmoil around the program during that transition, but I wouldn't be surprised if Day isn't able to maintain tip 5 or even top 10 classes year in and year out - they've already had 2 kids for 2020 decommit.

Last edited:
This is bad for the conference. The Big Ten was left out of the playoffs the last 2 seasons, and that was with Ohio State dominating. They will take a step back, without an elite program to beat to pad the resume, it's tough to make the playoffs. Ohio State has been the only consistently elite program in the conference for a long time.

Also, since yesterday's announcement, OSU has lost 2 recruits, both 4 stars.

Back