Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

michchamp - Chicago UM Bars

thewolverines24

Any suggestions on good UM bars to watch the opener this weekend? I know you have mentioned a few before, but I don't remember the names. My sister mentioned going to Diag on Southport. I've never been so I have no idea how that place is.

Any suggestions from anyone else are also welcome.

To to umalumni. Com
Find Chicago club and contact them for watch locations

I just saw a tweet the other day about diag

Any suggestions on good UM bars to watch the opener this weekend? I know you have mentioned a few before, but I don't remember the names. My sister mentioned going to Diag on Southport. I've never been so I have no idea how that place is.

This is from the Chicago Club's website; the game watch locations from last year.

You could contact the bars and confirm that they're still the game watch locations for this year; out here in SoCal, the locations usually last for at least a few season.

This is from the Chicago Club's website; the game watch locations from last year.

You could contact the bars and confirm that they're still the game watch locations for this year; out here in SoCal, the locations usually last for at least a few season.

Rockitburgerbar in Wrigleyville would be my choice.

They're featuring the telecast of the M game right on their website; they seem to "specialize" in football game watching, plus it's in historic Wrigleyville - which is pretty cool.

Actually Rockit Bar & Grill downtown looks like they have a pretty good game watch too.

Either one then, maybe based on your location.

Last edited:

oh geez... they've changed a bit, and I'm not 100% sure about all these. but still, you asked the right guy. DO NOT bother asking cmrlily; he lives in Northbrook and his idea of a "game watching bar" is Buffalo Wild Wings.

Diag is okay, but gets crowded as all hell. I watched the Alabama game there last year, and while it was a fun environment, there weren't enough bathrooms, and it was hard to get drinks if you weren't sitting at the bar like we were.

Duffy's is no longer an official Michigan bar, but I think they still do Michigan games; they just stopped donating to the alumni assoc, so they dropped them. it's pretty low-grade, as in the bathrooms smell like vomit, it's crowded & loud, they overcharge you for drinks (getting a $300 tab for a table of 4 and wondering where the hell they came up with that number was common)

Temple Bar on Ashland is a wannabe Michigan bar... chill place to watch games that doesn't get too crowded. HOWEVER last year for the UM-Ohio game they were showing Man U, and packed with Euro dudes, so I'll never go back there again.

the two Rockit bars - part-owned by a UM grad, along with some other Chicago club owner d-bags... go there if you like having the game on in the background while Top 40 music plays, and former frat kids and sorority sisters brag about their cars, jobs, $80,000 wedding, etc. ...

there are a couple more chill places to go, where they'll have audio, but it doesn't get packed, and you can be comfortable:

Matilda's on sheffield is/was one.

The Newport on Newport Ave. is another

West End bar on W. Madison is new this year... based on it's location, it'll probably be older (30+) yuppies who asked the wife for permission to go watch the game. That's where I'll probably be on saturday.

I'm still looking for an ideal joint to watch games myself. probably moving next month to a house, and holding off on getting cable until then.

Thank you sir.

From the pictures, Rockit Bar & Grill does not look like a place to gather for a football game. Their private party area looks good, but we don't have a group big enough for that.

To to umalumni. Com
Find Chicago club and contact them for watch locations

I just saw a tweet the other day about diag

I think their list is limited to the bars that give beau coup $$$ to the alumni association to get on it.

Thank you sir.

From the pictures, Rockit Bar & Grill does not look like a place to gather for a football game. Their private party area looks good, but we don't have a group big enough for that.
you are correct, sir.

see my description above.

oh geez... they've changed a bit, and I'm not 100% sure about all these. but still, you asked the right guy. DO NOT bother asking cmrlily; he lives in Northbrook and his idea of a "game watching bar" is Buffalo Wild Wings.

Diag is okay, but gets crowded as all hell. I watched the Alabama game there last year, and while it was a fun environment, there weren't enough bathrooms, and it was hard to get drinks if you weren't sitting at the bar like we were.

Duffy's is no longer an official Michigan bar, but I think they still do Michigan games; they just stopped donating to the alumni assoc, so they dropped them. it's pretty low-grade, as in the bathrooms smell like vomit, it's crowded & loud, they overcharge you for drinks (getting a $300 tab for a table of 4 and wondering where the hell they came up with that number was common)

Temple Bar on Ashland is a wannabe Michigan bar... chill place to watch games that doesn't get too crowded. HOWEVER last year for the UM-Ohio game they were showing Man U, and packed with Euro dudes, so I'll never go back there again.

the two Rockit bars - part-owned by a UM grad, along with some other Chicago club owner d-bags... go there if you like having the game on in the background while Top 40 music plays, and former frat kids and sorority sisters brag about their cars, jobs, $80,000 wedding, etc. ...

there are a couple more chill places to go, where they'll have audio, but it doesn't get packed, and you can be comfortable:

West End bar on W. Madison is new this year... based on it's location, it'll probably be older (30+) yuppies who asked the wife for permission to go watch the game. That's where I'll probably be on saturday.

I'm still looking for an ideal joint to watch games myself. probably moving next month to a house, and holding off on getting cable until then.

Thanks champ. I've been to Duffy's for one game before and I would never do it again. I don't like being that damn crowded. I'm sure my group can settle on one of the other locations and have a great time Saturday.

I would double check a location before you go unless it's on the official list. some bars seems to change from year-to-year. if they go as school "X" and don't have a good turnout, they'll switch to school "Y"...

Michigan - both the school and the state - needs a Michigan-themed bar like Wisconsin has with Will's Northwoods.

I would double check a location before you go unless it's on the official list. some bars seems to change from year-to-year. if they go as school "X" and don't have a good turnout, they'll switch to school "Y"...

Michigan - both the school and the state - needs a Michigan-themed bar like Wisconsin has with Will's Northwoods.

I agree. Will's is awesome. I've had a great time every time I've gone there.

Open one up.

Off the top of my head, one name suggestion would be Cherry's Lakeshore East.

That would be for the whole state, not just the University of Michigan.

Or maybe Paul's Blue Ox.

Open one up.

Off the top of my head, one name suggestion would be Cherry's Lakeshore East.

That would be for the whole state, not just the University of Michigan.

Or maybe Paul's Blue Ox.

Since "Will's Northwoods" already goes with the "Up North" theme for Wisconsin, I was thinking maybe a Motor City theme.

the jukebox would be packed with Motown hits, soul & funk, and also some other Michigan acts (the Stooges, Bob Seger, Eminem, etc. ... but no Kid Rock or Nugent). We'd show all Tigers, Lions, Pistons, and Red Wings games, but give priority to UM sports.

not sure where it would be located.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks champ. I've been to Duffy's for one game before and I would never do it again. I don't like being that damn crowded. I'm sure my group can settle on one of the other locations and have a great time Saturday.

if you're with people who want to get crazy and stay in or around Lincoln Park, I'd go to Diag.

if they just want a place to watch the game, I'd go to one of the more chill locations I listed.

if you're with people who want to get crazy and stay in or around Lincoln Park, I'd go to Diag.

if they just want a place to watch the game, I'd go to one of the more chill locations I listed.

I just want to go and watch the game, but it's my sister's birthday so I know most of the group is going to want to get crazy. Maybe they'll want to put the craziness on hold until later in the day, but I doubt it.

I've been to rockitbar.. Just around the corner of the magnificent mile. Nice size bar with good food and three levels. Three or four pool tables on the second level. Ill be there this weekend. Visiting some friends but need a cool place to watch the game.

You can also try EspnZone by the hard rock cafe but they prob won't play B10 network

Last edited:

I used to live a few blocks from west end, great menu, the buffalo chicken spring rolls are great. They also make theit sliders and burgers with merks cheddar. Duffys is still a Michigan bar im sure. I used to go there for wings playoff games way back when

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Problem in Denver with its hundreds of thousands of transplants is that the sports bars sell out to multiple schools....

LoDo's has ...Michigan, Florida State, Nebraska, Maryland and some others so multiple games are on (though the M crowd dominates) and too often, young alumni seem to view the bar/game as networking opportunities.

My favorite Denver sports bar is the one in my house and the detached garage out back!

Back