Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Miggy quietly chasing the Triple Crown

papacrick

After last night's game it's looking like Cabrera has a legitimate chance at the Triple Crown this year. Two months ago it looked impossible due to the huge home run deficit to guys like Hamilton and Bautista. Well one guy is injured and the other is terrible now. Adam Dunn leads the league with 31 just 3 ahead of Miguel now. He looks like a lock at the RBI title unless Jackson loses his mojo or whoever is batting in the two hole. Mike Trout is the only guy with a better batting average and its a pretty big gap. However, he is hovering around the number that Miggy finished at last year (.344) and it's entirely possible that Miguel hits .400 over the last two months, as he did last season, and catches Trout. It could also be expected that Trout slides a little bit down the stretch because rookies just don't hit .350 in the show. But then again that kid looks like Superman and I wouldn't be shocked if he actually got better. Anybody feel like making a bold prediction about Miggy's chances? I think he finishes .342/.395/.590, 42 HR 141 RBI and just misses the TC by finishing a home run behind Josh Willingham.

After last night's game it's looking like Cabrera has a legitimate chance at the Triple Crown this year. Two months ago it looked impossible due to the huge home run deficit to guys like Hamilton and Bautista. Well one guy is injured and the other is terrible now. Adam Dunn leads the league with 31 just 3 ahead of Miguel now. He looks like a lock at the RBI title unless Jackson loses his mojo or whoever is batting in the two hole. Mike Trout is the only guy with a better batting average and its a pretty big gap. However, he is hovering around the number that Miggy finished at last year (.344) and it's entirely possible that Miguel hits .400 over the last two months, as he did last season, and catches Trout. It could also be expected that Trout slides a little bit down the stretch because rookies just don't hit .350 in the show. But then again that kid looks like Superman and I wouldn't be shocked if he actually got better. Anybody feel like making a bold prediction about Miggy's chances? I think he finishes .342/.395/.590, 42 HR 141 RBI and just misses the TC by finishing a home run behind Josh Willingham.

I doubt he hits 42 HRs. My guess is .330, 38 HR, 132 RBI

Miggy is tied with Pujols with most home runs since the all star break at 10. He seems to be hitting them every other game at this point and probably has another multi homer game or two (barely missed last night in the 8th). With Prince hitting like he has, Miguel will continue to see fastballs and more importantly strikes which should lead to more big flies. He is taking less walks this year and that might have some correlation to his spike in home runs.

I think Trout will start to peter out a little, he's not use to this many ABs in a season.

Dude, he has 28 and is smoking them right now. He's on pace for 40+ even with the slow start.

Yes...he has been on fire...I just doubt he can continue this pace for the rest of the year. If he hits 38 it will match his career high.

Yes...he has been on fire...I just doubt he can continue this pace for the rest of the year. If he hits 38 it will match his career high.

You might be right but I think it'd be cool for him to get 40.

But of course if he doesn't hit 40 in his career, maybe a trivia question down the line. 500+ home runs without hit 40 in a season. Though I'm not sure if someone holds that distinction already.

Never underestimate Cabrera. If there is anyone that can keep that pace it's definitely him. I remember last year when he decided to win the batting title and proceeded to hit .400 the last 60 games. If he is anywhere near it with some time left, he will explode and get to 40

Never underestimate Cabrera. If there is anyone that can keep that pace it's definitely him. I remember last year when he decided to win the batting title and proceeded to hit .400 the last 60 games. If he is anywhere near it with some time left, he will explode and get to 40

So that's what happened?

At some point he just decided he wanted to win the batting title and then hit .400 from that point on?

now that's funny....he just "decided" to win the title so he hit .400 over the last 60 games. If he can just "decide" to hit .400 maybe he should just do it all of the time!

I was thinking the same thing last night. He's on pace for .324, 42, and 137. He'd have to get his average up at least 10 points to have a chance, but the other 2 categories he's got a very good shot at. Nice to see him start to get some MVP buzz too, it's obviously a 2 man race right now with he and Trout. .335 might get him the batting title if Trout hits a little bit of the rookie wall. Plus there is a book out on Trout now and pitchers are bound to have a better strategy against him down the stretch.

Would love to see it, but that's a giant gap in BA. Probably won't happen but there's definitely a chance.

I love how at he beginning of the season everybody was worried since he slimmed down to play 3rd, that his bat wouldnt be there and especially not his power, and he is actually having the best season of his life if you ask me. I'm not so sure he will win the TC but I am positive he will be in the top 3 in all of the catogories.

I love how at he beginning of the season everybody was worried since he slimmed down to play 3rd, that his bat wouldnt be there and especially not his power, and he is actually having the best season of his life if you ask me. I'm not so sure he will win the TC but I am positive he will be in the top 3 in all of the catogories.

His offense is down from where he was at the past two seasons.

His offense is down from where he was at the past two seasons.

I disagree with that. He is on pace to have career highs in HR, Hits, and RBI. The only place he is down is walks/OBP. If he continues to post the numbers he has post allstar break, this will be by far his best season.

He clearly has a chance since he is tied for 2nd in HRs, 1st in RBI and 2nd in BA. I don't think he will do it because of the HR. He will catch Trout in BA and keep the RBI lead.

He clearly has a chance since he is tied for 2nd in HRs, 1st in RBI and 2nd in BA. I don't think he will do it because of the HR. He will catch Trout in BA and keep the RBI lead.

Only the .200 hitting Adam Dunn has more homers and he's been stuck on that 31 for a while now. Miguel is hitting them over the wall on a nightly basis right now. Hamilton and Encarnacion, whom he is tied with, have both stalled as well. I see no reason why Miggy can't win the home run crown with Jose Bautista out of the picture

Back