Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Ilitch passed away today

I really hope his kids have as much passion about his teams that he did. Great owner that brought winning back to 2 beloved teams.

I really hope his kids have as much passion about his teams that he did. Great owner that brought winning back to 2 beloved teams.

I don't know too much about the Illitch family. He had 7 kids, who inherited portions of his business empire. Denise Illitch was (is?) a UM regent.
I know absolutely nothing about his son Chris, who is taking over running the day-to-day business operations of the family interest.

based on how other franchises left to rich kids who "didn't build that" turn out, I wouldn't hold my breath hoping things will get better now that Mike is gone. their kids usually fuck everything up, and since the four major sports have been "idiot owner proofed" with revenue sharing, public subsidies in various forms, and sweetheart TV deals, it's almost impossible to lose money by owning one, so its unlikely they'd ever be forced to sell.

I vaguely recall an Illitch getting caught up in a bad situation after a rowdy night out... I know I posted something about it here... hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
here: link.

the link in the thread is no longer live, but a search for "Illitch arrested" reveals it was Ron Illitch, one of his other kids.

Back