Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Iupati - Free Agent Target?

af1991

What do you think? I know the Suh deal/no deal will have to be addressed first and foremost, but I lam hoping the Lions make the OLine a top priority.

Mike Iupati, San Francisco 49ers: Good offensive linemen are always hard to find, and Iupati is a three-time Pro Bowl player. He isn?t likely to stick around under the new regime in San Francisco. There are plenty of teams who could use his help. Iupati could make a difference in for the Panthers, who need more protection for Cam Newton.

I don't know, but between Stafford's mind numbingly inept quarterback play at times (most times) and our swiss cheese offensive line, they would be wise to address it this offseason. Hopefully the best player available at our draft spot isn't another tight end come draft day.

DT going to be our biggest need. Unless Fairley get's no offers because of his injury and we bring him back cheap..but no Suh, Fairley and we need another DE the DL could be toast.

Last edited:
Comes down to price, no? Seems there will be quite the bidding war for him. If he costs even more than Suh, then no...pass. Tired of paying 3 guys 30+% of the team's cap.

Team needs..........DT, CB RB, WR, OG, OT, OLB

I still think we need a stud pass rusher too...whether that's OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 DE. If we stay 4-3 im good with our current lb corps....van noy should be up to full speed by next year for olb. LB is actually a position of strength for once. Tulloch should technically be released...but he does so much work in the community I doubt he will.

Team needs..........DT, CB RB, WR, OG, OT, OLB

RB... with Joique Bell and Theo Riddick, we may need a back (assuming Bush is gone) but it likely won't come from the draft or be any major signing. It will be some Ben Tate has been to add depth.

WR... With Fuller in house, and TJ Jones, possibly even Broyles, I don't see them going after another receiver right now.

OLB... not with Van Noy. Even with Tulloch out this season, we have had plenty to go around at LB. If they add someone, it will be a depth signing like RB would be.

That leaves CB, OG, OT, DT, and possibly DE if they decide to keep Jason Jones inside.

u guys keep missing 2 other critical positions, TE and more importantly QB. they must start pushing Stafford via potential backup or even replacement.

u guys keep missing 2 other critical positions, TE and more importantly QB. they must start pushing Stafford via potential backup or even replacement.

Too much money is already invested in those positions.

That being said, it would match Mayhew's drafts.

Only Lions fans could still be in the playoffs, and discussing the following years draft.

That having been said, I wonder if we couldn't land a guy like Trae Waynes or Ronnie Staley, depending on where they fall.

RB... with Joique Bell and Theo Riddick, we may need a back (assuming Bush is gone) but it likely won't come from the draft or be any major signing. It will be some Ben Tate has been to add depth.

WR... With Fuller in house, and TJ Jones, possibly even Broyles, I don't see them going after another receiver right now.

OLB... not with Van Noy. Even with Tulloch out this season, we have had plenty to go around at LB. If they add someone, it will be a depth signing like RB would be.

That leaves CB, OG, OT, DT, and possibly DE if they decide to keep Jason Jones inside.

Fuller jones and broyles....some list. Do you want ppl to commit suicide?...is that what you were going for?

Only Lions fans could still be in the playoffs, and discussing the following years draft.

That having been said, I wonder if we couldn't land a guy like Trae Waynes or Ronnie Staley, depending on where they fall.

I usually pay TOO much attention on the draft months ahead of time. This thread is the first time I've given it any thought and I'm already not interested.

Feels good.

I still think we need a stud pass rusher too...whether that's OLB in a 3-4 or 4-3 DE. If we stay 4-3 im good with our current lb corps....van noy should be up to full speed by next year for olb. LB is actually a position of strength for once. Tulloch should technically be released...but he does so much work in the community I doubt he will.

Forgot about a passrusher...you're right.
I say OLB because i'm just not a fan of Palmer as a starter. He's ok but i would love an upgrade.
As for Tulloch, he was actually playing good before the injury. You're on point though, he's a pillar in the community.

Forgot about a passrusher...you're right.
I say OLB because i'm just not a fan of Palmer as a starter. He's ok but i would love an upgrade.
As for Tulloch, he was actually playing good before the injury. You're on point though, he's a pillar in the community.

Don't forget about Van Noy.....he'll replace Palmer.

Someone to replace Jones/Taylor would be good. Heard a lot of good things about Webster. Not sure if he's a reliable option for 2015, though.

Last edited:

100% agree on what you said, Ink. When i say "needs", i also mean future replacements for players that are either getting older or free agents. Players like Bush, Mathis, Calvin?,Sims?, Tulloch/Palmer?, Suh/Fairley need to be replaced. Not necessarily through the draft only but all angles.

Last edited:
100% agree on what you said, Ink. When i say "needs", i also mean future replacements for players that are either getting older or free agents. Players like Bush, Mathis, Calvin?,Sims?, Tulloch/Palmer?, Suh/Fairley need to be replaced. Not necessarily through the draft only but all angles.

My off-season plan would look a little like this if I were running the team....

I let both Suh and Fairley walk, release Bush and Tulloch for cap space. Pettigrew gets cut for the minor cap hit. Sims gets his walking papers as well, IF I can upgrade his spot in free agency with a guy like Iupati or

I target B.J. Raji and Brian Orakpo right off the bat, moving Levy and Van Noy to the ILB spots with Ansah moving back to OLB opposite Orakpo.

Jones can play DE in a 3-4, as can Tapp, but I'm not thrilled with any of the 3-4 DE's in free agency, so that's a key spot I want to target in the draft.

Try to snag a guy like Byron Maxwell to replace Mathis and pair up with Slay, and also target another guy like Brandon Ghee for depth and ST help.

Add in a guy like Bobby Rainey or Roy Helu as a third RB, and I'm pretty happy with that squad.

Now in the draft I can target OL and DE early, with more OL help in the form of guards late. In the middle rounds I am looking for a big body DT to groom behind Raji, like Jordan Phillips from Nebraska.

Leaves me some flexibility at the top end of the draft if a slick WR or a top OT or G falls to the second round, or the ability to go BPA for a corner or safety.

Should leave plenty of cap room left over for some additional depth signings on D.

Obviously, that's all assuming you can get the guys you really want, and it's not a fully fleshed out plan, but it's the building blocks of life after Suh/Fairley, while trying to get a bit younger on both sides of the ball.

Orakpo and Raji suck. Hate that plan. Plus injuries for them.

Van noy and whitehead were olb in college. Tapp was olb his one year in 3-4

Last edited:
Orakpo and Raji suck. Hate that plan. Plus injuries for them

Orakpo, when healthy, is a force. Raji is a beast at NT. I would be thrilled to have either one of them.

However, you are right, injuries are a concern for both, especially Orakpo. His joint and muscle injuries are all those roids in college catching up to his soft tissue.

Which is exactly why you leave coin for depth, and it's a short term signing. He's not getting more than a two year deal with an easy out from anyone.

Raji has like one good year.
Orakpo is oft injured and a huge disappointment in washington

Back