Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB Adds 2 Wild Card Spots

Seems like it will just be more uninteresting baseball.

More wear on pitchers arms; longer season; more of a good thing is not a good thing. It will add 10 days to a season that is already too long in terms of months. And if there was ever a year that demonstrated that such an arrangement would have neutered the incredibly tense and captivating last two weeks of a season, it was this year.

Don't mind the extra wild cards if done right. BUT, don't like the year-long interleague. Let's return to a balanced schedule and keep the leagues 14 and 16 so they can do it. Scrap IL while we are at it.

We're just going to have more undeserving teams winning the WS.

The thing that separated baseball from the other sports was that only the best teams had a chance at winning the prize.

Since the WC was added several lackluster teams have made the fall classic, and the Cards have won twice while being the worst overall team probably during the regular season.

Now they want to add more....

In all fairness although it adds one team to each league it will make it more difficult for a wild card team in the playoffs. If your in a 1 game playoff just to basically get in then your looking at using your best pitcher available just to get you into the 5 game series against the team with the best record in your league not in your division.

Say for instance were in that situation next season we would then have to use Verlander just to get into say a 5 game series against the Yankees thus basically making it impossible that our best pitcher would be able to pitch 2 games in a 5 game series.

I honestly think unlike now it will lower chances overall that wild card teams have in the playoffs. If you just look over this years playoff changing games look at game 5 of the Phillies/Cardinals game. Halladay vs Carpenter in a classic 1-0 game that eliminated the best overall team in the league this year. HAD the Cardinals been forced to win a 1 game playoff to get IN to the that series were then looking at Carpenter not being available to pitch in that deciding game which would have changed the entire postseason.

I think the 2nd WC team is not a bad idea simply because it will then make winning your division even more of an importance instead of being content with the wild card since considering as they are now a wild card team has that same chance to win the World Series as everyone else.

I think that it is pretty rough to be eliminated from the playoffs in a 1 game series if you are the number 1 wild card spot. I like it making having the best record more important and rewarding, but like I said, it will suck to be knocked out in just a game.

What would i do? Go back to 4 divisions, balanced schedule, no interleague, 2 div champs and 2 WCs make playoffs. I am not opposed to an additional WC or even 2...if it's a one game Playoff to make the LDS.

what I am getting from this is that there could be near double the amount of interleague games played.

If you like interleague you will like that. Personally I don't, but I can tolerate the amount of games Detroit plays against the NL now.
not more.

what to do with V-Mart for say 2 straight NL series on the road?

said it before and again, whether or not any agree with this,
bud selig wants interleague ok.
Let the AL have the DH in both American AND National league parks. National league doesn't use it, then they can't anywhere, No DH for NL teams in any AL parks.

Sign of the times. With all the money involved, baseball wants more teams in the race at the end of the summer. It's still baseball to me, so no big deal.

Yeah if they want more interleague games they really need to have the SAME rules for both leagues. It makes teams in the AL that have full time DH's especially superstar type players have a huge disadvantage is those games. It really makes no sense at all that they don't have the DH in the NL.

They should either eliminate interleague games all together or have 1 set of rules for ALL the games played and not have 2 sets of rules depending on what stadium your playing in. Its not a huge adjustment for NL teams adding a DH to their lineups but it can limit AL teams tremendously.

I'm pretty much w/ kc on the DH, except I'd just rather see the rule be the same for both leagues. When there was no such thing as interleague play, save for the W.S. it didn't have a ton of impact. Now w interleague play it hurts AL teams and will even more if Selig decides to increase the total # of interleague games. IMO either get rid of interleague or add the DH to the NL. What other sport has such a drastic diff rules wise from one league to the other like MLB?.... Ok folks, When the NBA resumes we're going to raise the rim to 11 ft...... but only in the western conf.

I'm thinking differently than everyone. As a fan with no realistic access to an NL stadium for a game, what I'd like to see is NL rules in AL stadiums and AL rules in NL stadiums so the fans get to see something they don't get to see every day.

Yeah, yeah. I know it disadvantages home teams a bit and will never happen, but I'd like to see it.

here's how i feel about it: bring the DH to the NL too. Its been far too long with each league having its own set of rules, and in this age of baseball there are a lot of players who are pure hitters who arent that good at much else. why restrict them to only AL teams? plus, noone wants to see pitchers hit any more. the days are long gone when we had some that were 2-way players, but nowadays all pitchers focus only on pitching and hit worse than brandon inge. its boring and pointless. anywho, thats just how i feel about it.

MI_Thumb said:
We're just going to have more undeserving teams winning the WS.

The thing that separated baseball from the other sports was that only the best teams had a chance at winning the prize.

Since the WC was added several lackluster teams have made the fall classic, and the Cards have won twice while being the worst overall team probably during the regular season.

Now they want to add more....

I agree. And since theyre in essence making the regular season less important than do the sport a favor and reduce the amount of games.

DH in both leagues.
Two 15 team super leagues in both the AL and the NL with no divisions.
six teams make the playoffs in each league...
Best records always get home field all the time.
Go back to a 154 game schedule.
Or keep the 162 game schedule but bring back doubleheaders every Saturday.
Move roster sizes to 26 players.
All new Northern Stadiums must be mandated to have a roof.

I like it, just the way it is, 4 1st round series with the winners advancing to their league finals, with the winners advancing to the W.S. Nothing is more pathetic than watching 16 NBA teams fighting for the title. that's 16 fucking teams, why even have a season? just start out with 16 teams and go from there. it's just not right for a team to have a losing season and having a chance to win it all. clearly this is all about money and not for the love of the game.

tycobb420 said:
Personally, I can see the DH coming to the NL someday

Ty I hope you are right.. I am tired of seeing AL pitchers bat in the playoffs and world series.

Back