Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB record 21 pitch at bat

manchild98

San Francisco Giants first baseman Brandon Belt set a Major League Baseball record Sunday when he battled out a 21-pitch at-bat against Los Angeles Angels rookie right-hander Jaime Barria.

Belt fouled off 16 two-strike pitches before lining out to Angels right fielder Kole Calhoun. The at-bat lasted 12 minutes and 45 seconds.

Belt broke the modern-day record (since 1900) previously held by then-Houston Astros infielder Ricky Gutierrez, who had a 20-pitch at-bat against then-Cleveland Indians right-hander Bartolo Colon on June 26, 1998.

Barria threw 49 pitches in all in the first inning as the Giants loaded the bases, but he escaped without allowing a run.

Belt saw eight pitches in his second at-bat against Barria in the third inning, this time singling as the Giants loaded the bases again, this time with no outs.

I read that. Had to be some at bat. Even with the out in the end the batter did a great job tiring the pitcher. If I was a fan of the pitcher in that situation I'd be like come on those last dozen pitches ;-)

I read that. Had to be some at bat. Even with the out in the end the batter did a great job tiring the pitcher. If I was a fan of the pitcher in that situation I'd be like come on those last dozen pitches ;-)

Fouling off 16 two strike pitches is insane. Had to be so frustrating for the pitcher.

Back