Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Monday Morning QB - Devin Gardner

thewolverines24

Devin is probably the best to listen to for Michigan fans after a game. Offers great insight into what's going on with the offense. He's noticed some mechanical issues with Cade the past couple of weeks. He also does a great job of walking through the playcalling in the 2nd half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7s-u0ObtU

I didn't see anyone mention it here, but Mgoblog noted before Cade took that shot to the head, he was 8 for 9 passing, or something like that, and 1 for 8 after that point.

the next throw after that hit was the missed TD pass in the end zone

This is their analysis:
Many people have already noted that the flattening out exactly correlates with McNamara being on the receiving end of a targeting penalty. The big jump at play ~32 is the strike to Sainristil and the ensuing ejection, and after that it was a slow drip of disaster. McNamara went from 8/9 to start to 1/7 to finish. The possibilities there:

1) coincidence,
2) McNamara was hurt and either nobody noticed or he successfully concealed some mild concussion symptoms, or
3) McNamara wasn't hurt but was rattled.

I think coincidence is the most likely, especially because the amount of data we have on him is so limited.

What?

Weird to watch him play great for an entire half, take a rough shot to the head, immediately start missing throws, and think "Aw, he just sucks" instead of "He's either hurt or rattled at best, and I would be too, if someone weighing 100 lbs more than me smashed my skull like that."

EDIT: McNamara has played in 8 games, thrown 124 passes for a career 61% completion percentage, with zero (0) interceptions.

MGoBlog has all the data, but can't understand it...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, QB's are supposed to take hits without crumbling, and it's a problem if he can't.

In the video his whole head moved sideways so he definitely took a blow to it; how severe, none of us can say. All we know is before the hit he was 8/9, and after he was 1/7.

I didn't think it was the right decision to pull him then or follow concussion protocol; he looked fine and got right back up, but in hindsight maybe the hit was worse than we realized.

Also: contrary to what the fans commenting on twitter think, I think it was the right call. he pushed him, but definitely lead with the crown of his helmet. Which is what the rule prohibits, and the standard is broad: it's not "beyond a reasonable doubt" but "if there is any doubt if it is targeting, it is."

It wasn't as egregious as targeting like the no-call in the OSU/Minn game, where he launched himself head first, with his arms at his side, but he still made contact with his helmet, like a headbutt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think DG mentions he had a bit of happy feet in the pocket in the 2nd half. That causes your throws to be off. I think it was more being rattled than a concussion.

Well, I hope he's not still rattled against Wisconsin, and doesn't get rattled like that again.

And hope he didn't suffer a concussion or other brain injury

Well, I hope he's not still rattled against Wisconsin, and doesn't get rattled like that again.

And hope he didn't suffer a concussion or other brain injury

Absolutely. I really hope he didn't get a concussion and was able to hide it. I had a friend that pulled that shit in high school and all it accomplishes is being more susceptible to getting another concussion. He ended up with seven and it completely changed his personality and identity.

People are far more aware of the dangers now, but you don't fully recover from even a minor concussion in a week.

After watching the last throws again. I think the should've been td pass rattled him more than anything. He was really down on himself afterward. To his defense, though, there were a couple of balls that could've have been caught. Sainristil dropped a 1st down over the middle. It was low, but catchable. And there were 2 others I think that were in range, but off. Some of these guys have to make tough catches and have some sort of catching radius. Nothing is always going to be perfect and you have to sell out sometimes. With all this said, he was rattled nonetheless, whether by the hit or the bad td pass.

After watching the last throws again. I think the should've been td pass rattled him more than anything. He was really down on himself afterward. To his defense, though, there were a couple of balls that could've have been caught. Sainristil dropped a 1st down over the middle. It was low, but catchable. And there were 2 others I think that were in range, but off. Some of these guys have to make tough catches and have some sort of catching radius. Nothing is always going to be perfect and you have to sell out sometimes. With all this said, he was rattled nonetheless, whether by the hit or the bad td pass.

The throw to Sainristil was at his shoes. It would have been a great catch if he could haul it in, but it was a bad throw.

Really no other catchable ball that ended up incomplete in the 2nd half. The throw to All was way off, he turfed one throw to Henning, and threw another uncatchable pass on the fade to Henning. Henning was held, so we may have got a PI call if Cade gave Henning a chance. On 3rd and 10 when Cade scrambled, he had Corum open but refused to throw the ball and tried to scramble for the first down instead. Broken/rattled QB syndrome.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone mention it here, but Mgoblog noted before Cade took that shot to the head, he was 8 for 9 passing, or something like that, and 1 for 8 after that point.

the next throw after that hit was the missed TD pass in the end zone

Post 187 in the game thread I mentioned the hit had rattled him and he had happy feet afterward (though I didn't have the stats). Admittedly that was after I had watched it on DVR well after the game had actually finished, but it was my 1st run through of the game and I noticed it and questioned why the coaches didn't notice it and settle him down. Sure, they cannot watch every player on every play, but if it was plain to my eyes SOMEONE should have noticed and informed the QB coach, OC, or Head Coach so they could try working through the problem.

If our QB can't take one hit without crumbling, that's a really bad sign. It wasn't even that bad of a hit. The DT made a bit of contact to his facemask, but most of it was just a push to the ground.

https://twitter.com/NCAAFNation247/...-targeting-vs-michigan-on-controversial-call/

The hit wasn't so bad, but Cade did fly back and in the video you can tell if his head bounced off the turf which could be the cause of more trauma. He was definitely off in his passing after that hit.

Post 187 in the game thread I mentioned the hit had rattled him and he had happy feet afterward (though I didn't have the stats). Admittedly that was after I had watched it on DVR well after the game had actually finished, but it was my 1st run through of the game and I noticed it and questioned why the coaches didn't notice it and settle him down. Sure, they cannot watch every player on every play, but if it was plain to my eyes SOMEONE should have noticed and informed the QB coach, OC, or Head Coach so they could try working through the problem.

The coaches should be aware of what happens to their players. That is part of in-game coaching. Especially the qb. All eyes are on the qb. At the very least to OC should realize something is off and take him out for a series and have him checked out.

The coaches should be aware of what happens to their players. That is part of in-game coaching. Especially the qb. All eyes are on the qb. At the very least to OC should realize something is off and take him out for a series and have him checked out.

Oh I am 100% in agreement, but I also know humans do not always see things other humans would expect, so I'm just saying someone should have noticed Cade's happy feet if I noticed them. That so.eone should then verify with the OC or whomever that they have seen it. Always good to double check.

Devin Gardener is not only extremely insightful, he delivers the information in a way that anyone can understand. And he's hilarious. I love the MMQB segments on WTKA.

I wish Devin was on a competent team. He's the only QB since Lloyd left that had the balls to play in the big games.

Back