Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Movies over 1 and 2 billion worldwide

The Avengers is at $1,436,200,000 now

Last edited:
Avengers, or as my 2 year old refers to it "Boom, Boom, SO WICKED!!!!" is definitely one of the best films ever and deserves to beat out Titanic and that snooze-fest Avatar.

That said, the cost for movie tickets these days, especially with add-ins like 3D and IMAX likely is helping it achieve these numbers so quickly.

Rocking awesome movie though and by far more deserving of these profits than Avatar and Titanic combined. .

Avatar sucked. Titanic was a chick flick. Harry Potter & Transformers sucked as well..

To draw those kind of crowds you need appeal across demographics, that's why you have a lot of movies that appeal to kids or women too. The dark knight would be my favorite by far but I do appreciate the epics like avatar or titanic. I tried to watch harry potter once and fell asleep 20 minutes in, same w lord of the rings

I agree with you guys except about lord of the rings .. Harry Porter was terrible.. I liked Titanic and Avatar.. Some Transformers is ok... The three Lord of the Rings was fantastic but I can see if you don't like it... But what I liked about those three movies is they got better with each on in my opinion.. There are a ton of fun movies on the list...

I do have to admit that if me and my kids watch the ring movies now we have to decide if we are going to make fun of the movie all through or not...

Last edited:
Aren't these all movies that teenagers go and see over and over about 50 times?

I just watched The Avengers streaming on Netflix; thought it was relatively meager, even as far comic book movies go.

I had seen Iron Man and Captain America on DVD before and thought they were both a lot better than The Avengers.

I can only sit through one or at the most two comic book movies a year.

That said, Batman Begins was, I thought, the best ever of the comic book genre.

Bah. "Okay."

It was friggin' excellent.

The super heroes seemed a little wierd for me...as far as super heroes go, anyway...

There was a "film noire" element to it for me, as well...it was kind of hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

I don't like that in comic books.

The super heroes seemed a little wierd for me...as far as super heroes go, anyway...

There was a "film noire" element to it for me, as well...it was kind of hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys.

I don't like that in comic books.

The super heroes had to be made weird. It was originally proposed with preexisting characters. Part of the point of the thing was to reevaluate what would cause someone to act like a superhero and how people would react. The result ruined the characters, so management pushed Moore (the writer) to come up with generic characters.

Either way, once he tried to figure out what would motivate people to put on masks and go vigilante, it got hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys. It probably goes too far to say the Batman Begins version of Batman (as opposed to the Adam West/government agent Batmans that came before) was a direct result of the success of Watchmen, but they happened around the same time and Moore wrote some of the darker Batman stuff from that time. I don't think it goes too far to say that the general shift of all the other comic book heroes to people with internal struggles or self doubt or dark side owe something to the reinvention of Batman and Watchmen and between those two, Watchmen was the more revolutionary.

...but then there's comic sans. Watchmen is given partial credit for inspiring the comic sans font, which everyone hates. Also, they made Superman a homewrecker, not in the more recent movie, but the one before that. Superman doesn't do that shit. Eff that. Troubled superheroes can be fun, but I don't want a conflicted Superman.

Eff this too:
superman3.jpg

According to that link, he also claims to be part of a family that denies it.

What a strange coincidence that you'd have a personal story about that specific costume.

According to Gibbs on NCIS, "there's no such thing as a coincidence."

Back