Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU College Football Weekly Rankings

The Top 25 is about where it should have been to start the year now. I thought we should be top 10-12, some other teams that fell a little ofter poor showings maybe shouldn't have been so high in the 1st place.

Spartans will move into the Top 10 with Ark losing. If UGA loses to Mizzou, they will jump 2 spots.

Spartans will likely move up only 1 spot to 10th. Arkansas will fall out to the mid-late teens, but everyone else took care of business or is on a bye. It's highly probably we won't see another chance to jump up until facing OSU. Assuming OSU is undefeated and MSU wins, they will have three wins over top 25 teams, and one win over a top 15 team (OSU). At that point we could start jumping over other undefeated teams with lesser schedules.

It's probably going to be pretty important how high we are ranked after OSU, as there's simply no one else left in the Big 10 whose defeat will significantly impact voter's perception of our team. We'll be at the mercy of teams in front of us losing.

Teams are going to lose in front of us, most of them will. Just keep winning and everything will take care of itself. Win next week hosting ND under the lights and with an easy game the week after, it's quite likely that we'll be a top 6 team entering B1G play, top 5 if we beat OSU. ND looked average yesterday, especially on offense, I like our chances at home under the lights with our defense and an offense that seemed to find some balance yesterday.

If we get to 5-0 we deserve to be a top 5 team IMO.

Last edited:
They should be undefeated going into B1G play. I like to see them moving up in rankings but I expectations are a B1G championship, everything after that is a bonus.

Teams are going to lose in front of us, most of them will. Just keep winning and everything will take care of itself. Win next week hosting ND under the lights and with an easy game the week after, it's quite likely that we'll be a top 6 team entering B1G play, top 5 if we beat OSU. ND looked average yesterday, especially on offense, I like our chances at home under the lights with our defense and an offense that seemed to find some balance yesterday.

If we get to 5-0 we deserve to be a top 5 team IMO.

I don't think ND will give us much of a bump unless we blow them out. As you mentioned, they don't look like a particularly strong team right now. Voters aren't going to bump us ahead of other undefeated teams until we beat someone of consequence (OSU may be the only remaining team on our schedule that fits that bill).

Week 3

AP: 10
USA: 10
ESPN Power Rankings: 9
ESPN B1G Power Rankings: 1

I think this game against ND will be close, I expect MSU to keep the ball in Bell's hands and let the defense do the rest.

Week 4

AP: 21
USA: 20
ESPN Power Rankings: 21

No suprise the Spartans dropped quite a bit. They should move up after EMU but I dont think they will beat OSU after that.

Last edited:
Up a spot to #20 in the AP and #18 in The USA Today, not sure if we deserve that.

Only 3 B1G teams ranked, OSU#14 and MSU #20 the top 2 teams play next week. Nebraska is #22.

Last edited:
Week 5

AP: 20
USA: 18
ESPN Power Rankings: 21
ESPN B1G Power Rankings: 5

I think after the OSU game, the Spartans will drop out of the rankings. I think this game will be very similar to the ND game.

Back