Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU hires DE coach Brandon Jordan

johnny2x2x

This is an absolutely crazy hire. Guy is the NFL DE technique trainer. He?s a pass rush guru and has trained Von Miller, TJ Watt, DeMarcus Lawrence, Chandler Jones, Cam Heyward, Maxx Crosby, Trey Flowers, Gerald McCoy, Josh Allen, Danielle Hunter, Rashan Gary, Jadeveon Clowney, William Gholston, Leonard Floyd, K'Lavon Chaisson, Brian Burns, Jeffrey Simmons, Ed Oliver, Kwity Paye, and many many more.

From Louisiana but based in Texas, part of this hire is that Tucker wants Jordan to continue to train NFL guys, only bring them to MSU in his free time.

Outside the box, potential game changing hire. He also has a strong relationship with virtually every high 4 and 5 star DE in high school right now. He will be a huge asset for recruiting.

Is this guy going to be a full time staff member in E Lansing or is he going to remain in Texas, run his business and work for MSU in his free time?

"rushing the quarterback" is a complicated concept. like building a Swiss watch.

I'm sure there's some real groundbreaking stuff only he knows...

"rushing the quarterback" is a complicated concept. like building a Swiss watch.

So is being a QB guru. 7 years in and I?m still waiting to see that elite QB play an hour down the road.

did you come up with that analogy after you took the battery cover off your Swatch and couldn't figure how to put all 3 pieces back together?

Is this what your collection of Swiss watches looks like?

search

Last edited:
Is this guy going to be a full time staff member in E Lansing or is he going to remain in Texas, run his business and work for MSU in his free time?

He's a fulltime coach for MSU and he can run his business on the side in the off season with the stipulation that he use MSU facilities for it. So the NFL players will be training at MSU in the off season. This is a big deal because MSU has much better facilities than what he was using before.

Jordan will be holding several camps for NFL players all Spring and Summer and MSU will make an attempt to incorporate those into recruiting weekends. There will also likely be workouts in some way that combine what he does with NFL guys and getting MSU players to work out with or at least watch them.

MSU's Summer lineman/LB camp just became the biggest destination camp nationwide for elite high school D Line recruits. Jordan has trained a few dozen of the top DEs from the 2023 and 2024 classes.

It's definitely an outside the box hire, several teams have tried to hire Jordan before, but were offering him analyst positions, he'll be a full coach at MSU, he coached D Line at Austin Peay for 2 years previously, but his main focus will be technique and hand fighting, Coach Burton will probably be the scheme guy still on D Line.

Jordan has a reputation of making a huge difference for players quickly. Can't wait to see what he can do with Khris Bogle, Tank Brown, Chase Carter and Zion Young who are all long athletes, but lack technique so far. He's already worked with both of our transfer LBs Brule and Windom, Brule led the NCAA is QB hurries in 2020 after a Summer working with Jordan. So I think Jordan will work with LBs some too, and he works with DTs. Also works technique with O Line and WR in terms of hand fighting. So he should make a difference.

https://twitter.com/CrosbyMaxx/status/1481450018657615872?s=20

This is a bold hire and it works because you've got Coach Burton already one of the most respected D Line coaches to work with him. MSU finished 6th in the nation in sacks this year, but they also faced a ton of drop backs so that's a little inflated. Pietrowski and Wright will benefit too, and I think Michael Fletcher can really use some coaching.

He's a fulltime coach for MSU and he can run his business on the side in the off season with the stipulation that he use MSU facilities for it. So the NFL players will be training at MSU in the off season. ...

I guess the intent is to blur the lines between the pros and college, with the (obvious?) goal of having better DL recruits randomly show up in EL because of it and decide to play there. And to accept the risk (admittedly it's a LOW risk these days...) that recruiting violations will come out of it.

Still gotta wonder if it will pay off. Our best DLs in recent memory were mostly unheralded guys who worked their way into the role.

I think in the Big Ten, we might get the occasional five-star DL (I'm thinking of Rashan Gary in our case) who does turn down SEC money to play Up North, but then pretty much just mails it in for 2- or 3 years before going pro. And is a net loss for Team Morale the entire time, b/c it's obvious to the rest of the team what's going on.

I guess the intent is to blur the lines between the pros and college, with the (obvious?) goal of having better DL recruits randomly show up in EL because of it and decide to play there. And to accept the risk (admittedly it's a LOW risk these days...) that recruiting violations will come out of it.

Still gotta wonder if it will pay off. Our best DLs in recent memory were mostly unheralded guys who worked their way into the role.

I think in the Big Ten, we might get the occasional five-star DL (I'm thinking of Rashan Gary in our case) who does turn down SEC money to play Up North, but then pretty much just mails it in for 2- or 3 years before going pro. And is a net loss for Team Morale the entire time, b/c it's obvious to the rest of the team what's going on.

Kwite Paye while at UM worked with Jordan in the off season before breaking out and turning himself into a 1st round NFL draft pick. Rashan Gary worked with Jordan last off season and turned in a career year this season at Green Bay. Would be funny to see ex UM players at MSU working out with Jordan.

And I doubt it's a recruiting violation for recruits to get to watch and meet NFL players working out at MSU.

And Rashan Gary didn't turn down money to play up North, call it what it is, Michigan outbid Clemson for him.

And I doubt it's a recruiting violation for recruits to get to watch and meet NFL players working out at MSU.

To be clear, I'm not saying it is, just that if you're inviting a bunch of pros there, presumably you're also going to have agents, and the opportunities for violations are greater.

Like it might not be illegal to invite a bunch of gamblers and bookies into your house, but it raises the chances illegal gambling will start occurring there by a lot.

And Rashan Gary didn't turn down money to play up North, call it what it is, Michigan outbid Clemson for him.

I've heard people say that. If EVERYONE is paying players, why is so much talent ending up in the SEC? Big Ten & Pac XII schools and alumni have way more money than any place in the SEC, and all the big TV markets and advertising dollars are outside the south.

Like there's a reason that despite all their big talk about being "superior" the SEC still doesn't bring in the money or eyeballs other conferences do, but a huge chunk of the talent ends up there. So I think that shows there's something else going on when you see kids choose LSU, Alabama, or Ole Miss over UM, MSU, OSU, etc.

And Clemson's rise coincided with them cancelling a bunch of other mens and womens programs... but you don't really see Big Ten schools doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, I'm not saying it is, just that if you're inviting a bunch of pros there, presumably you're also going to have agents, and the opportunities for violations are greater.

Like it might not be illegal to invite a bunch of gamblers and bookies into your house, but it raises the chances illegal gambling will start occurring there by a lot.

I've heard people say that. If EVERYONE is paying players, why is so much talent ending up in the SEC? Big Ten & Pac XII schools and alumni have way more money than any place in the SEC, and all the big TV markets and advertising dollars are outside the south.

Like there's a reason that despite all their big talk about being "superior" the SEC still doesn't bring in the money or eyeballs other conferences do, but a huge chunk of the talent ends up there. So I think that shows there's something else going on when you see kids choose LSU, Alabama, or Ole Miss over UM, MSU, OSU, etc.

And Clemson's rise coincided with them cancelling a bunch of other mens and womens programs... but you don't really see Big Ten schools doing that.

I think it has more to do with more high end talent being located in the south.

here is an article from 2020 talking about the number of 5 star recruits from each state (over prior 10 years)

SEC states produced 206 five star players
Big 10 states had 39

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/Y85md...-football-recruits-over-the-past-10-years.htm

Last edited:
And MSU fires Ron Burton. This is odd, I thought Burton was one of the best coaches we had. Apparently he had a rift with some of the players both current and former, he wasn't very well liked and if he stayed some starters were going to hit the portal.

I think Burton was excellent on technique for the DTs, and he knew the schemes well. Not a great recruiter, but found guys that fit what he wanted. DT is probably the deepest position on the team right now and Burton had something to do with it. With Jordan coming in to coach the DEs, we're going to be looking for a DT coach with some experience, probably someone with ties to the South for recruiting.

When Tucker was hired, Ron Burton initially took a position at IU, but Tucker fought to get him back, now 2 years later he fires him. Odd, but Tucker is trying to build a championship program here, if someone doesn't meet that standard they are replaced, Burton must not have been meeting the standard in some way.

which is it? is Burton not meeting the standard or is Tucker letting the inmates run the asylum? I hope it's not the latter - it's a problem if 19 and 20 year old kids are acting like prima donnas and being placated at the expense of a guy with a proven track record.

which is it? is Burton not meeting the standard or is Tucker letting the inmates run the asylum? I hope it's not the latter - it's a problem if 19 and 20 year old kids are acting like prima donnas and being placated at the expense of a guy with a proven track record.

Tucker came in and took a bunch of kids off of the transfer portal. This is just a guess...but maybe most of them are prima donnas that were upset that they weren't getting treated as such by their previous teams?

Tucker came in and took a bunch of kids off of the transfer portal. This is just a guess...but maybe most of them are prima donnas that were upset that they weren't getting treated as such by their previous teams?

It's certainly possible but I don't think any of the transfers were defensive lineman - couple linebackers and a couple d-backs (and Walker of course). I certainly hope a bunch of prima donnas that don't play on the line got a line coach fired.

Jordan already paying dividends.

Four-Star DE Caleb Herring (Tennessee)

Four-Star DE Cameron Lenhardt (Florida)

Four-Star DE Andrew Depaepe (Iowa)

Four-Star DE Enow Etta (Texas)

All of these guys visiting next weekend, all of them worked with Jordan. Depaepe was working with Jordan twice a week.

I think you have to strike while the iron is hot here, I'd like to see the 2023 class take 4 DEs and 2-3 DTs, Jordan is going to get us some elite ones. 4 star DE from Cass Tech Jalen Thompson is considered a heavy MSU lean because he's been vocal about wanting to follow Wilcher here, he'll be up next weekend too and I think he'll start feeling some pressure to pull the trigger to hold his spot in the class. #162 player in the class might not be a take if he waits too long, my how things are changing at MSU.

Last edited:
DJ Reader also works with Brandon Jordan in the off season and had a sack last night. So 5 players who had a sack in last night's Super Bowl are Brandon Jordan clients.

Jordan is having his annual NFL DT camp in March where a few dozen NFL DTs will be at MSU to train with him for several days. This is going to be worked into the recruiting visits, it's going to be a huge recruiting weekend that weekend. Showing recruits that their full time coach is being paid by so many NFL players to coach them in the off season is going to be a jackpot.

Jordan is going to turn out to be recruiting gold.

https://twitter.com/JustinThind/status/1493063700072353793?s=20&t=oEKx0O0OaDKhb_uE7Y8rWw

Last edited:
Back