Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU hires Mel Tucker

We got a RB and ST coach, both from Colorado. William Peagler for RB and Ross Els for ST.

But no Pac12 titles like Harbaugh, winning percentage or Super Bowl appearances. But yes, good one.

Is that what you tell yourself every post-Thanksgiving Saturday? At least he won the PAC12 (even though he never did), has a high winning % (which isn't really an accomplishment since he should never lose to 9 of the 13 other B1G teams and he only plays maximum of 1 decent nonconference opponent each year) and lost the Superbowl (but to his brother, so he does have an NFL championship in the family). Did he do anything else that doesn't mean shit to the uofm fans who aren't idiots or is that the full list? Yeah, good one.

Is that what you tell yourself every post-Thanksgiving Saturday? At least he won the PAC12 (even though he never did), has a high winning % (which isn't really an accomplishment since he should never lose to 9 of the 13 other B1G teams and he only plays maximum of 1 decent nonconference opponent each year) and lost the Superbowl (but to his brother, so he does have an NFL championship in the family). Did he do anything else that doesn't mean shit to the uofm fans who aren't idiots or is that the full list? Yeah, good one.

Hey, he proceeded to hire a WR coach who had never called plays before for a $Million, who then promptly made UM's offense statistically worse with Speed in Space even though he returned a senior 5 star QB, 4 NFL Linemen, and a plethora of receiving targets. And their fans still love the hire...LOL.

We got a RB and ST coach, both from Colorado. William Peagler for RB and Ross Els for ST.

so no Irvin, eh? Not sure if he would improve recruiting in Miami and Florida in general but I wonder if that hurts our ability to recruit his kid, he clearly wanted the job...

Of course it's short-sighted to hire a guy to maybe get his son in a few years - he has to be able to coach and recruit other Miami and Florida kids. Irvin's bounced around a lot but gets pretty high praise from Mark Ingram who he worked with at Alabama.

Last edited:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottie_Hazelton

Very good chance this is our new DC.

Former KC Chiefs scout Scott Aligo is new director of player personnel.

New strength and conditioning coach was with the Tennessee Titans for 11 years, but recently was at IMG academy in Florida.

This staff as a whole is a huge upgrade. Very happy.

The staff as a whole sounds like a lot of unproven up and comers, which may turn out to be a huge upgrade. Like I said before, it can’t be worse but it’s possible that we panicked and rushed this decision and put ourselves and Tucker in a position where he had to hobble together what he could. I’m more in the wait and see and hope for the best camp.

My hope for next year is going .500+ and a recruiting class ranked in the top 30 in the country and top 5 in the B1G.

Last edited:
The staff as a whole sounds like a lot of unproven up and comers, which may turn out to be a huge upgrade. Like I said before, it can’t be worse but it’s possible that we panicked and rushed this decision and put ourselves and Tucker in a position where he had to hobble together what he could. I’m more in the wait and see and hope for the best camp.

My hope for next year is going .500+ and a recruiting class ranked in the top 30 in the country and top 5 in the B1G.

I think the staff has several proven commodities, but a few up and comer types.

Kapislovic is one of the best O Line coaches in the country. He dput together dominant lines at North Carolina and made a huge impact in year 1 at Colorado. A+ hire

Jay Johnson- Had great offenses at U of Lousianna. Good at Minny and Colorado. Great recruiter. B grade hire.

Hawkins- really respected in the state, no college coach experience C+ hire

RB coach, total up and comer, should be a decent recruiter. Unknoiwn grade.

Scottie Hazleton is the DC hire. Great recruiter, has had some great defenses at NDSU and Wyoming. Turned K State around. More of an up and comer and an innovator. B hire with a chance to be an A hire

Ron Burton- Love that we retained him, he's a great coach and good recruiter. A- hire.

Tressel as LB coach. Good recruiter and a very good LB coach. B+ Hire

Barnett- Good recruiter, especially Ohio, I see him as one of the best DB coaches in the country. A Hire

Els- great special teams coach, could make a big difference. B- Hire

Gilmore- Great recruiter, great coach, this was a great hire. A+ hire

Support staff is really strong and it looks like the S&C coach from IMG Academy is coming, he had 11 years of NFL strength experience.

Overall, we took a run at UGA's DC coordinator, but he got a raise and didn't want to leave a national title contender. Marrow would have been an A+ hire, but he stuck at UK. I think the staff has been upgraded at every spot. I think the biggest difference will be in recruiting, it's a staff of all good to great recruiters.

Last edited:
I hope you're right and if for no other reason, I'm optimistic that it's almost entirely a new staff. But like I said above, I'm going to wait to grade any of these hires.

I will say "challenge" to your assessment of Barnett as one of the best DB coaches in the country. He was still DB coach and became associate head coach and co-DC during the time we went from the no fly zone to one of the nations top "frequent flyer" secondaries. His career track of late, Associate Head Coach & DC at MSU to DC & DB coach at FSU to DB coach at MSU indicates his star is no longer rising.

Maybe DB coach is his peak and this is the catalyst to get him back to form, who knows. I'm waiting to pass judgement, but I don't think this is one of the more exciting hires so far.

Last edited:
Scottie Hazelton is official. This guy is a great hire and rising star. What he did with K State’s defense last year in that high octane conference is pretty ridiculous. 21 points and 202 yards passing allowed per game against those offenses is absurd. And K State barely had any top 750 recruits on their defense, not all that talented.

Last edited:
As quick as hes moved up from his last few jobs I have a feeling he might not be here long. Thinking he's looking to be a head coach soon.

As quick as hes moved up from his last few jobs I have a feeling he might not be here long. Thinking he's looking to be a head coach soon.

I’m fine with that - beats the crap out of having a bunch of scrubs hanging around forever because no one else wants them and your HC won’t get rid of them...

Last edited:
Agreed. If he can put together a top 30 defense with what we have coming back he might be gone in a year lol

Back