Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU-Ohio state is now the conference's biggest rivalry (SI)

If the game loses it's meaning when one or both teams are having a bad stretch, it's not a rivalry. UM/OSU is huge every year no matter what, even this last decade when UM has been atrocious.

When MSU or OSU hits that bad stretch, then we'll find out if MSU/OSU is a true rivalry.

A good friend just bought Crunchy's, great burgers, I'll be there Saturday.

That's cool. They had a great tap list. Burgers and pizza were good. I can't speak for later but it was always pretty steady but not crazy busy.

No Thai is on E Grand River. There is a BW3 close and Starbucks now. Which is a strange smell combo if you go in the alley side door.
Great cheap fast Thai. My guess it's been there a few years. Yes they have one in Ann Arbor. But I usually don't get much further than the Jolly Pumpkin

Another place I liked in Lansing was the Soup Spoon.

Crunchys has awesome pizza, it's half off on Sunday's. Many a Sunday have spent by me splitting a pizza and watching football while recovering from a hangover.

Whilst drinking a few more to get rid of the hangover.

Last edited:
never even heard of it. where is it and how long has it been around? I graduated in 92 and was a season ticket holder through 2001. Gave them up when I moved to NY, but I still went back once a year until I got married and started having kids in '09. This is literally the first time I've ever heard of it.

I went to Crunchy's on Sunday all the time but I've never had anything other than a burger there. Don't even recall seeing pizza at anyone's table - or reading a menu for that matter, always had the same thing so why bother.

I dont think it was there when I left in 99. In fact I dont remember there being a Thai place in EL. There were a few shacks in lansing I think. My friend got a medium spice plate and the older server came over "you like even though you sweat" :lmao:

The owner of Crunchys was 500 lbs when I left, I doubt hes still around. Things have changed a lot since I left in 1999. There were some great threads on RCMB awhileback about bars restaurants etc. from years past. Very nostalgic and somewhat bittersweet.

Last edited:
I dont think it was there when I left in 99. In fact I dont remember there being a Thai place in EL. There were a few shacks in lansing I think. My friend got a medium spice plate and the older server came over "you like even though you sweat" :lmao:

The owner of Crunchys was 500 lbs when I left, I doubt hes still around. Things have changed a lot since I left in 1999. There were some great threads on RCMB awhileback about bars restaurants etc. from years past. Very nostalgic and somewhat bittersweet.

When I was in school there were 3 really good bars - Landshark, PT's and Rick's - Small Planet (where the Riv is now and I think the Riv was in that small strip where El Az is) was sort of a mellow, alternative hangout as was The Riv but the Riv was so small, while Dooley's/Sensations was for the MSU equivalent of michchamp - you know, douchebags. You'd probably see him at Tripper's too - we'd go there to watch games and shoot pool on a Saturday afternoon but nobody went there at night as it was super cheesie and way too far out there. I think there was another place called America's Cup where the BW3 is now but they didn't do much to draw a crowd - no bands or cheap beer nights and it wasn't as cool of a hang out as Small Planet.

Last edited:
When I was in school there were 3 really good bars - Landshark, PT's and Rick's - Small Planet (where the Riv is now and I think the Riv was in that small strip where El Az is) was sort of a mellow, alternative hangout as was The Riv but the Riv was so small, while Dooley's/Sensations was for the MSU equivalent of michchamp - you know, douchebags. You'd probably see him at Tripper's too - we'd go there to watch games and shoot pool on a Saturday afternoon but nobody went there at night as it was super cheesie and way too far out there. I think there was another place called America's Cup where the BW3 is now but they didn't do much to draw a crowd - no bands or cheap beer nights and it wasn't as cool of a hang out as Small Planet.

The Riv was my fav place when it was on the corner next to pinball petes. I lived in the 2nd house next to the Marriot for 2 years so El Az , The Riv etc were litterally a stones throw. I went to Landshark and Ricks but I also liked to go to hole in the wall places where you could get away from the greek scene ( I was one of those also) and meet some regular girls also . I had a fake ID in the first month I was in the dorms as a freshman in Campbell Hall next to Mich and Grand River. I had a blast at Dooleys/sensations the first time I went. It was the first time I tested the fake ID lol! I was told that was my best shot not to get carded and there were lots of underage people. Going from just breaking up with the HS girlfriend to leaving the state of Illinois and not knowing anyone, it was just what I needed :cheers: Silver Dollar Some Nights was a lot of fun and good bands for damned near free.

They had a great micro brewerey called "The Blue Coyote" in Lansing that was there about 5 years. It was a great place! Hard to believe it shut down Summers on the rooftop et El Azteco and patio surfing at the Peanut Barrel in July. Bands jamming at the Green door on Thursday. Paul Reveres (not gay when I was there) when you wanted a quiet place away from most people to drink 40oz $2 drafts, be able to sit down watch a game and gamble on Keno. Get your hippy on at Bilbos over some hobbit sticks and laugh at how poor the service was because you yourself were not a hippy :zzz: . Crunchys when you couldnt get in another place or on Sundays as was mentioned earlier. Crushing 24 Oz Solsons (Oberon now) and 10 cent wings at THE OLD BW3 in the basement.

Last edited:
Wait, The Riv moved?

My buddy bought Crunchy's from a woman, maybe the previous owner's wife.

Wait, The Riv moved?

My buddy bought Crunchy's from a woman, maybe the previous owner's wife.

Maybe it didnt. I thought by Macks post it had changed. It was (assume still is) next to Pinball Petes. Hard to believe it would ever move or change

never even heard of it. where is it and how long has it been around? I graduated in 92 and was a season ticket holder through 2001. Gave them up when I moved to NY, but I still went back once a year until I got married and started having kids in '09. This is literally the first time I've ever heard of it.

I went to Crunchy's on Sunday all the time but I've never had anything other than a burger there. Don't even recall seeing pizza at anyone's table - or reading a menu for that matter, always had the same thing so why bother.

It's on grand river and Charles street, right next to Starbucks. It's in front of that ugly ass colorful parking ramp. I think it's been there about 5 years, I discovered it in 2012.

The pizzas are huge, you can split one with 2 people for about $5 each and walk out stuffed.

Maybe it didnt. I thought by Macks post it had changed. It was (assume still is) next to Pinball Petes. Hard to believe it would ever move or change

That's it, it's still on the northwest corner of MAC and Albert. It's kind of a more casual/pre game bar, but on Thursdays ($4 pitchers) is when the place is jam packed. It's way before my time but I believe Dooleys/Sensations is where Harper's is now (Albert next to 7-Eleven).

Landshark was shit as of a couple years ago, it closed for a while due to water damage I believe but it's reopen again, I've only been there once. PT's is still a big hangout, that's my favorite bar there. Harper's and Ricks are the most popular by far, also the shittiest/sloppiest/drunkest. Dublin Square, PT's and Riv are probably next tier. Peanut Barrel is solid too, another good casual bar for playing darts and sitting on the patio when it's nice outside.

Not sure where the BWW used to be, it's now on the corner of Charles and Albert. It was in a basement?

That's it, it's still on the northwest corner of MAC and Albert. It's kind of a more casual/pre game bar, but on Thursdays ($4 pitchers) is when the place is jam packed. It's way before my time but I believe Dooleys/Sensations is where Harper's is now (Albert next to 7-Eleven).

Landshark was shit as of a couple years ago, it closed for a while due to water damage I believe but it's reopen again, I've only been there once. PT's is still a big hangout, that's my favorite bar there. Harper's and Ricks are the most popular by far, also the shittiest/sloppiest/drunkest. Dublin Square, PT's and Riv are probably next tier. Peanut Barrel is solid too, another good casual bar for playing darts and sitting on the patio when it's nice outside.

Not sure where the BWW used to be, it's now on the corner of Charles and Albert. It was in a basement?

Yes, where Small planet used to be (gone in 2000 I think) right
acrosss from the Riv. Im not sure what
it is now. Yes, Harpers is the old Dooleys. It was kind of a dump compared to harpers.

Back