Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU v Purdue

JScottWriter

Defense has played well so far. ST with another big turnover. Lombardi has looked OK but not much going on offense yet.

Refreshing to see a QB not throw ducks and actually hit guys in stride. Not perfect but better quarter than I’ve seen from Lewerke all season.

Excellent first start for Lombardi! Best Game from a QB we’ve had all season. All those hurt players didn’t seem to be a problem for him.

The team is all heart, no quit. They have been given every reason to give up this year. We have players playing that I barely thought were still on the team.

5-3. Dantonio has a team with character. There are over 25 players hurt (some playing), and they still find a way to get it done vs a hot team.

Jalen Nailor is one of the fastest players we've had here. He has great vision and cutback ability too. Now that he's back and appears healthy, I'd like to see him touch the ball 10+ times a game.

Last edited:
Excellent first start for Lombardi! Best Game from a QB we?ve had all season. All those hurt players didn?t seem to be a problem for him.

He played well vs an average Purdue team. He was just above 50% and his last TD was a shovel pass, where Nailor in his first game back took it to the house. Before that last drive we had 16 points. I would like to see him keep playing until Lewerke is 100% healthy.

Great win. Defense was great/opportunistic with some big stops. Playcalls were much better than I’ve seen all season. Lombardi was pretty damn good, better than Lewerke has been all year. Run game is still awful. Receivers left something to be desired, a few crucial drops including a TD.

Considering this was Lombardi's first start, he gets an A+.

Purdue has really bad pass defense though a they can't rush the passer. Still, perfect game to get your feet wet in.

Still, there was a lot to like. He showed excellent arm strength. Decent mobility. He got better at his progressions as the game went on and his decision making was good. He threaded some snice passes in there and let's not forget his receivers had some really bad drops or he would have had a monster game stats wise. Stewart dropped TD, and then couldn't haul in that 50+ yarder. Sowards had a bad drop on a 25 yard pass. And that drop by Chambers I thought might be a game loser.

Overall though, Lombardi gets an A+, if this had been his 6th or 7th start he would have gotten an A-.

Food for thought. We win out, PSU and OSU beat UM, and we would go to Indy.

End of the game we have our 3rd strong center hiking the ball to our 2nd string QB to run a play to our #6 WR who ran behind our 3rd string RT and then cut it back after a good block from our 2nd string RG and 2nd string FB to ice the game on a long TD. After that our backup safety picked off a pass to end the game.

Nice game from our 3rd string punter too. Our #4 CB who was forced to start also had some good plays. etc etc.

Last edited:
Food for thought. We win out, PSU and OSU beat UM, and we would go to Indy.

I doubt either MSU or uofm will beat OSU. Purdue beating OSU was a fluke - it exposed OSU to some degree but only to what can happen when they get complacent. That was 4 and 5 stars lining up against 2 and 3 stars and taking them for granted. That rest of that "hot streak" was against pretty soft competition.

I still don't think uofm has faced a good team since getting beat by ND. Just my opinion, but I think OSU is a better team and they're not going to half ass it like they did against purdue.

As for our fortunes, I'm not reading anything into that win. Even if Lombardi played the whole game against uofm, the result would have been the same or worse. It's a huge plus that Purdue was his first opponent. If Indy is in their sites, they need to forget about it because they could easily get beat by Maryland even if they're not looking past them. Plus there are 2 teams ahead of them that control their own destiny, one of them already beat them and they still have to play the other.

Last edited:
Lombardi looked good with a simplified playbook, easier routes, etc, but I think he would have given us a better chance against UM than an injured Lewerke. That might not have changed the outcome, but Lewerke's accuracy could not have been worse. Keep in mind that Michigan's pass defense is way better than Purdue's, they blitz constantly and have better corners. We would need to get some breaks to beat them with a healthy QB

Back