Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NBA Free Agency 2020

The Bucks are winning because they got insanely lucky. If Giannis ended up like a normal 15th pick, that team would be nowhere. If they hadn't fleeced a really bad GM for Middleton, who would their second best player be?

There's not just one way to rebuild. The Pistons championship was built on collecting undervalued players who were better than they seemed. That was awesome, but it also required 4 different teams to massively misvalue their players, and then it still required some luck in the draft (would they have won if any of the 20 teams ahead picked Tayshaun?).

Right now it's more about probabilities. Is it more likely that our GM is just way smarter than everyone else (as Joe and Stan certainly thought they were), or that they are going to be no better or worse than the rest? Are we more likely to get a franchise altering player in the draft, free agency, or a trade? Are we just one big move from contending, or years away? Once you honestly assess those questions, tanking and drafting just seem the better plan.

The Bucks are winning because they got insanely lucky. If Giannis ended up like a normal 15th pick, that team would be nowhere. If they hadn't fleeced a really bad GM for Middleton, who would their second best player be?

There's not just one way to rebuild. The Pistons championship was built on collecting undervalued players who were better than they seemed. That was awesome, but it also required 4 different teams to massively misvalue their players, and then it still required some luck in the draft (would they have won if any of the 20 teams ahead picked Tayshaun?).

Right now it's more about probabilities. Is it more likely that our GM is just way smarter than everyone else (as Joe and Stan certainly thought they were), or that they are going to be no better or worse than the rest? Are we more likely to get a franchise altering player in the draft, free agency, or a trade? Are we just one big move from contending, or years away? Once you honestly assess those questions, tanking and drafting just seem the better plan.
It looks that way now but maybe they just preformed better here like after we got Laimbeer (he was even a 3rd round pick) and Vinny Johnson. Just saying it's hard enough watching them not 12 win team and I'm pretty sure fans will go elsewhere.

I'm probably weird, but I'm more interested in the team now (filled with rookies that should get a lot of of playing time) than I have been in a long time. Watching a team with no future or present feels hopeless. Watching a team where the players could legitimately get better every game, that feels intriguing.

I'm probably weird, but I'm more interested in the team now (filled with rookies that should get a lot of of playing time) than I have been in a long time. Watching a team with no future or present feels hopeless. Watching a team where the players could legitimately get better every game, that feels intriguing.

Not weird and definitely not alone. I'll watch more Pistons basketball in month 1 than I did all of the last 2 seasons combined.

Still don't like or understand the heavy investment in non-stretch bigs... being a contrarian only works if the assets you garner are gained below their true value. Overdrafting (IMO) Stewart, an undersized, non-uber-athletic, non-rim-protecting, and non-stretch big man just outside the lottery is, to me, the most unexplainable thing so far... particularly given the other big man acquisitions via trades and FA (none of whom fit the role of a stretch big). I totally hope Stewart proves me wrong, but the whole thing has me scratching my head, even if we go through a full blown, blow it all up rebuild. If we were looking for upside, whether for a new team core or future trade bait, there were players who fit that mold much better available with that pick (Achiuwa, for example). Both Stewart and Bey seem to be more low floor guys who can provide immediate help to a contender as a role player, but with only moderate upside potential. I'm not seeing the strategy here...

Until then?

They can kick rocks and go watch something else I guess.

TV accounts for most of the NBA?s revenue. Ticketing is actually not one of the primary sources of revenue for the NBA. It tends to lag behind some of the other revenue streams.

Still don't like or understand the heavy investment in non-stretch bigs... being a contrarian only works if the assets you garner are gained below their true value. Overdrafting (IMO) Stewart, an undersized, non-uber-athletic, non-rim-protecting, and non-stretch big man just outside the lottery is, to me, the most unexplainable thing so far... particularly given the other big man acquisitions via trades and FA (none of whom fit the role of a stretch big). I totally hope Stewart proves me wrong, but the whole thing has me scratching my head, even if we go through a full blown, blow it all up rebuild. If we were looking for upside, whether for a new team core or future trade bait, there were players who fit that mold much better available with that pick (Achiuwa, for example). Both Stewart and Bey seem to be more low floor guys who can provide immediate help to a contender as a role player, but with only moderate upside potential. I'm not seeing the strategy here...

I actually agree with most of this. Stewart was the worst pick for us, and was exacerbated by picking up a bunch of centers since. I think you meant to say Bey is a "high" floor guy, as his skillset will make him a rotation player, but not likely a star.

Honestly I would have rather taken Poku at 16, he might be a complete bust but also might be a superstar. Just take a swing.

I actually agree with most of this. Stewart was the worst pick for us, and was exacerbated by picking up a bunch of centers since. I think you meant to say Bey is a "high" floor guy, as his skillset will make him a rotation player, but not likely a star.

Honestly I would have rather taken Poku at 16, he might be a complete bust but also might be a superstar. Just take a swing.

I kind of like the second two picks. From what I read, Bey has a nice outside game and Stewart seems to be a manchild that can score down low and rebound. I think they will compliment each other nicely.

I love what Weaver is doing. Hell he turned crap into to extra picks in the top 20 !. Hell yeah I will sign up for that!. Play all the young kids. 3 years from now it's ecf !

Last edited:
I kind of like the second two picks. From what I read, Bey has a nice outside game and Stewart seems to be a manchild that can score down low and rebound. I think they will compliment each other nicely.

My concern is that Stewart hasn't really shown modern NBA skills. Being able to score in the paint is nice, but it's a luxury. Big men either need an outside shot or elite defense to really have an impact these days, and Stewart doesn't really provide either. He hustles, which is huge for defense, and he hits his free throws, which means he could develop a jumper. It's just a lot of projection for a guy picked at 16, when there were still higher ceiling guys available (Poku for example).

I'm going to be pulling for Stewart hard, just wish the pick would have been more focused on a modern view of basketball.

Last edited:
So I didn't realize the cap implications of signing both Plumlee and Grant. Apparently, we don't have the cap space for both at the moment. We need to clear cap space just to get there, and the most likely way is by waiving and stretching contracts of guys like Dedmon (which would explain why we traded for him). BUT, stretching enough contracts to get the cap space we need would put nearly 4 million of dead money on our cap for the next 5 (!) years.

I've been pretty clear that I don't care much about what any of these guys do on the court. Their contracts will be up before we are any good, and none should get in the way of out plans. But adding dead money like that is just stupid. We'd be better off playing Dedmon and forgetting Plumlee then borrowing against future cap space.

I'm really hoping this isn't the case, but I suppose it would make sense that a really smart GM wouldn't have been interested in this job.

Boy it looks like a lot of writers have zero clue what the pistons are trying to do signing all these centers.

Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Detroit Pistons' NBA free agency moves: What they're saying

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ncy-grades-reactions-jerami-grant/6383024002/

Labeling the Pistons as Losers in free agency.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...don-hayward-pistons/swh4dh0wp3gh1nda3c76qg9ci

Articles written too soon, simply to generate clicks.

Most of what he has been doing makes sense...except for the signing of Plumlee

Do you think they offered him starting minutes because all I see out of him is 10-15 minutes off the bench if that. I agree this signing makes little sense. Just a expensive bench piece.

Back