Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Next Year

bdtay1971

Just thinking about the possible departures and how it affects next year. No way does Burke stay so I don't even include him into my thought process. I really hope everyone else stays and think this team can have another great year if they do. However, if there is one guy we can't have leave and expect to have another season like this it's McGary, IMO. The guys we have coming in can help alleviate the loss of guys like Timmy and GR3. Plus, I look for Levert and Spike to be vastly improved. If we lose McGary, we have no one to give us that physical presence that was the biggest reason for our great Tourney run. Gonna be an interesting next couple months full of speculation and rumors. Can't wait for it to be over.

It may sound foolish but I'm still holding out hope for Burke even if it is a 10-20% chance he decides to return. He's a competitor, I think this hurts and he knows if he comes back they've got another shot at it. Like I said the odds are heavily on the side of him leaving but I'm not ready to give up hope until he declares which really could be any second now.

I think only Burke and Hardaway will leave now. McGary would have been gone if we won and he had another good game but now i'm not so sure, and you're right he is not replaceable next year hes important to stay. I think Robinson would be wrong to leave he needs another year to grow and then show his stuff next year. He could really improve his draft status next year.

Zak Irvin and Walton are suppose to be really could, how adequately do you guys think they can replace TH and Burke?

Last edited:
I think GR3 could replace Tim easily. Tim didnt have that great of games in the tourney. He didnt take over when I think he could have. Last night especially. Keep Nik at the 3 spot. I think Mitch stayed he struggled last night because he finally faced a big man with legit skills and Dieng showed him how its done. I have wondered how good Donnal is and if he could start at the 4 spot. He is bigger than GR3 and has some low post ability. I have said many times if all we lose is Burke and Tim we should be fine. Lavert and Spike should improve and we should have more quality depth than we had this year.

Yep, Burke and Jr should go. We're just really lucky that Burke didn't go last year and Hardaway? Well, he's a good player and all, but there are times that I'd like to slap him. He plays like Manny Harris sometimes. It makes you shake your head. His head is just not in it sometimes. Maybe Irvin won't be as old and experienced as him, but he might not make mindboggling decisions like him either.

Beilein will probably keep grIII at the 4. It's too great of a mismatch. The 3 is always jb's best scorer and the focal point on offense/ unless you've got trey burke. Maybe if grIII can round out his ball handling they would have no choice but to play him there.

Corky/Walton
Levert/Irvin/stauskus/corky
Stauskus/grIII/levert/Irvin
GrIII/beifeldt/donnal
McGary/Morgan/horford

The mock draft posted today by Chad Ford has Burke going 6th/7th. McGary going 12th and GR3 also in the lottery. Burke is GONE there is no doubt about it. And while THJ's stock has fallen I also think there is no doubt that he is leaving! Gr3 is the one of the bunch that can come back and raise is stock the most (along with THJ). So I think he has the best chance to stay. Now as for McGary, if he is guaranteed to go in the top 20 "HE NEEDS TO GO" no way will his stock get any higher with his age and with the prospects that will be entering the draft over the next few years! I love Mitch and want him back but like I said if he's told he will be drafted in the first then he needs to take the money and run! But here's to hopeing that THJ, GR3 and Mitch all 3 come back. And I would add Burke to that but we were lucky to get him back for this season. Great season Blue and now its time to prepare for football!

Go Blue

Beilein will probably keep grIII at the 4. It's too great of a mismatch. The 3 is always jb's best scorer and the focal point on offense/ unless you've got trey burke. Maybe if grIII can round out his ball handling they would have no choice but to play him there.

Corky/Walton
Levert/Irvin/stauskus/corky
Stauskus/grIII/levert/Irvin
GrIII/beifeldt/donnal
McGary/Morgan/horford

Donnal is a huge key. Him being college ready and with an expanded skill set is about the only thing that would allow Robinson to play the 3 where he belongs. I just don't see Beilein goes with a pairing of any of the four returning post players for any extended amount of time.

THJ is #51 on Ford's draft board right now. Chad Ford is usually pretty good with his rankings. One of the few good things at ESPN. There are only 60 picks in the NBA draft, so Tim is not looking at a favorable position in the draft right now.

I miss basketball already.

Last edited:
THJ is #51 on Ford's draft board right now. Chad Ford is usually pretty good with his rankings. One of the few good things at ESPN. There are only 60 picks in the NBA draft, so Tim is not looking at a favorable position in the draft right now.

I miss basketball already.

It surprises me that he's as low as 51. He's 6'5", he can shoot, and he's clearly athletic enough for the NBA. Frankly there are not that many guys who meet that criteria.

It surprises me that he's as low as 51. He's 6'5", he can shoot, and he's clearly athletic enough for the NBA. Frankly there are not that many guys who meet that criteria.

Part of it is his inconsistency, part of it is ball handling, but i think the major part is that there are so many guards in the nba like him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...unk-michigan-father-louisville_n_3041850.html

Hardaway is definitely NBA athletic and I think he has a great ability to drive and he can develop his shot. He already has long range and can create his own shot and the defense crippling rules in the NBA will only help him.

He can't create his own shot...that's why he disappears and his draft stock is so low. A 6'6 guard who averages 15 and 5 and and has his athleticism would probably be a mid 1st round lockif he could create for himself. Instead he floats around the 3 point line all day long.

Do you guys think that Hardaway might actually be underrated because of our offense?

Some guys seem to thrive under a particular dynamic, others don't.

he never seemed to really have a killer instinct though... so I don't entirely disagree. I just think not all NBA scouts may judge him as harshly as we do

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys think that Hardaway might actually be underrated because of our offense?

Some guys seem to thrive under a particular dynamic, others don't.

he never seemed to really have a killer instinct though... so I don't entirely disagree. I just think not all NBA scouts may judge him as harshly as we do

Nah, I like Hardaway a lot, but he is what he is. He had plenty of opportunity to drive and be a paint monster with his skill sets and instead he settled routinely. There is no doubting his athleticism and his improved shot but at this point I believe what you see if what you get. To be a 3 year starter and stil not have confidence that he won't be ripped any time he puts the ball on the floor doesn't say much for his NBA potential. Think back to the games where Hardaway was huge, all I can remember is 3 after 3 after 3. I don't remember any instances of him just saying I'm better than the man in front of me and I'm going to show it. I don't think the offense had anything to do with it. With all the attention on Burke and Stauskas to stretch the floor, I owuld have liked to see him become a slasher type player.

He can't create his own shot...that's why he disappears and his draft stock is so low. A 6'6 guard who averages 15 and 5 and and has his athleticism would probably be a mid 1st round lockif he could create for himself. Instead he floats around the 3 point line all day long.

If THJ is rated low because he can't create his own shot, I want to know how the fuck GR3 can be rated that high. That's the #1 reason that I think GR3 should stay, prove he can score in a way other than a lob or 3 pointer. Because at this point, he certainly hasn't shown he can.

If THJ is rated low because he can't create his own shot, I want to know how the fuck GR3 can be rated that high. That's the #1 reason that I think GR3 should stay, prove he can score in a way other than a lob or 3 pointer. Because at this point, he certainly hasn't shown he can.

Hes rated high because of his potential. His problem also is the same as Tim. Inconsistent, cant create his own shot, but he's also not a great shooter yet. He relies on tip ins and put backs, but isn't a great rebounder. I'd put him as an end of the first prospect. I think a year could help him grow into a true lottery pick.

Back