Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL player penalized for praying

I'm not 100% sure that Pat Tillman was specifically an atheist; I have read accounts where he described himself as a "non-religious agnostic" who leaned toward paganism.

of course there are more people in more danger than NFL players, fishermen have more dangerous jobs, loggers, etc. I do know a few people who played in the NFL and they're bodies are seriously damaged, they have short lifespans.

Why would I care? They choose to play..for money over health. It's that simple..the "they get paid a lot because it's a dangerous sport" is getting old.

I'm not 100% sure that Pat Tillman was specifically an atheist; I have read accounts where he described himself as a "non-religious agnostic" who leaned toward paganism.

really? I know some conservatives tried to reclaim/spin his legacy for their own means, but I thought his brother's comments at his funeral (see youtube) made it pretty clear. And if there is any remaining doubt, there was a documentary on his death (which I saw... edit: on netflix).

And regarding paganism, to avoid semantics (although you are not Red, so that may be unnecessary) I think the dictionary definition of "paganism" requires some belief in a metaphysical aspect of nature, whereas even though an atheist may marvel at nature or natural phenomenon, he/she does not believe in any metaphysical element of it. I didn't read anything about him to indicate that he believed in the Earth Mother or anything like that.

I think he was just a regular old atheist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back