Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ngata: Rice would be "great addition" to Lions

michiganalex

With Justin Forsett re-signed by the Ravens and DeMarco Murray landed in Philadelphia, the free agent pool of running backs is thinning considerably.

Yet one player who remains very much available is Ray Rice, who has been a free agent since late November, when he won his appeal against the indefinite suspension handed down by the league.

And one former Raven says he'd support a reunion with that other former Raven.

Haloti Ngata, now of the Detroit Lions, told a Detroit radio station that he thinks Rice would be "a great addition to this team."

The Lions could be in the market for a running back to share duties with Joique Bell after releasing Reggie Bush as a cap casualty. They are expected to address the position in the draft as well.

Speaking on CBS Radio's Stoney and Bill Show in Detroit, Ngata said that Rice is "a great guy on the field, in the locker room, he?s a great community guy, he does a lot for the community, and so of course I think he would be a great addition to this team. I love playing with him. I trusted him. You feel bad for his situation. You just hope nothing but the best for him.?

Keep in mind that the Lions are coached by Jim Caldwell, who was with Rice for two seasons in Baltimore. And a limited role for Rice, playing for a familiar coach, could be his entry back into the league -- if it comes at all.

Did we fire the locker room towel boy or janitor?

Man, Mayhew is harsh. Okay, Rice can have the job.

I would take just about ANY back in the draft before Rice.

I just don't see it happening.

If he could produce, which I think he can. I'm all for it! Everybody deserves second chances in life. Sign him up and let him compete for the #1 RB spot on the roster.

If he could produce, which I think he can. I'm all for it! Everybody deserves second chances in life. Sign him up and let him compete for the #1 RB spot on the roster.

Of course you would. He wasn't caught cheating on a HS history exam. He beat the fuck out of his future wife.

Of course you would. He wasn't caught cheating on a HS history exam. He beat the fuck out of his future wife.

He didn't beat the fuck out of her, just Deebo'd her ass.

Last edited:
I'm just going to come out and say it, and I don't care what you guys think of me, Rice would be a great addition to Red Beans.

Rice ave'd 3.1 yards a carry in his last full season, sorry that's just not good enough, he wouldn't be any better with the lions has anyone else they already have or can obtain..pass

Ha, finally a plus as far as the draft trending towards the team needs. Maybe the BPA won't be at a redundant position and we can draft immediate contributors in the first two rounds.

I think Gurley & Gordon will be gone before the Lions are willing to take a RB. I have read that Ajai, Duke Johnson, Coleman, Yeldon & Abdullah all have 2-3 round grades. I wouldn't mind any of them in the 3rd or 4th round.

I think Gurley & Gordon will be gone before the Lions are willing to take a RB. I have read that Ajai, Duke Johnson, Coleman, Yeldon & Abdullah all have 2-3 round grades. I wouldn't mind any of them in the 3rd or 4th round.

Round 3 sure. Round 4, Ngata going to happen

Save the draft picks for other area of needs. Rice would come for cheap. Let him have a good game or two and all will be forgotten.

Save the draft picks for other area of needs. Rice would come for cheap. Let him have a good game or two and all will be forgotten.

Rice will be cheap. Agreed on that. You could use the draft pick on another position or still take a back in Round 3. Winn just gets cut then. Less reliance on a rookie if you have Rice in the fold. Take a cheap shot on Rice (pun intended).

Back