Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No More Manny

Manny Ramirez will not return to the Lions. He is a solid backup capable of starting any interior line spot. It makes me worry when we don't have quality back ups.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...amirez-will-not-return-lions-2016-free-agency

Would have been nice to have him back....but you cant keep everyone. If we land a starting caliber OL in the draft and one in FA......Ola, Lucas and Robinson would be decent depth. Shit, if we happen to grab 2 good T's.....Reiff would be depth!

Would have been nice to have him back....but you cant keep everyone. If we land a starting caliber OL in the draft and one in FA......Ola, Lucas and Robinson would be decent depth. Shit, if we happen to grab 2 good T's.....Reiff would be depth!

8 Million dollar depth guy at tackle, that would be funny and sad.

I can't imagine a scenario where Reiff isn't starting next year. Even if we use our 1st rounder on a OL it's possible they don't start to begin the season.

A questionable o-line requires quality backups. Hopefully Quinn knows what he's doing and has a plan in place. I really don't want to see another season of RT roulette or starters that only play because there's no viable alternative.

A questionable o-line requires quality backups. Hopefully Quinn knows what he's doing and has a plan in place. I really don't want to see another season of RT roulette or starters that only play because there's no viable alternative.

I think the plan is for Ola to be the RT starter. He played well until he got hurt.

Ugh. All this player releasing is making me really anxious to know what his team-building philosophy is.

Ugh. All this player releasing is making me really anxious to know what his team-building philosophy is.

You have to admit though, some of these cuts show a great deal of self confidence. Quinn is clearly not worried about cutting a vet and looking like an idiot for it, which most first time GMs are terrified of.

He's got a pair that ring when he walks.

You have to admit though, some of these cuts show a great deal of self confidence. Quinn is clearly not worried about cutting a vet and looking like an idiot for it, which most first time GMs are terrified of.

He's got a pair that ring when he walks.

I'm not saying he isn't confident, but I don't feel like any of the cuts we've seen really tell us anything. Pretty much all the cuts have been slam dunks that anyone with even a little cap knowledge could see coming a year ago. Real courage would be something like cutting Calvin if Calvin keeps waffling about retirement. Or taking a QB in the first round to put Stafford (and the entire offense) on notice.

I'm not saying he isn't confident, but I don't feel like any of the cuts we've seen really tell us anything. Pretty much all the cuts have been slam dunks that anyone with even a little cap knowledge could see coming a year ago. Real courage would be something like cutting Calvin if Calvin keeps waffling about retirement. Or taking a QB in the first round to put Stafford (and the entire offense) on notice.

Using a 1st round pick to "put someone on notice" is about the dumbest thing I could imagine a GM doing.

1. Why does Stafford.....who was really good last year.....need to be put on notice?
2. Why would you use an extremely valuable asset to play a mind game instead of improving the holes in your team? Should we use a 2nd to draft a CB to sit the bench and push Slay?

That wouldn't be courage......it would be stupidity.

I don't want to argue about Matt it's been done to death. But when he was benched, his passer rating was right around 80. It's great he turned it around but he still has one major flaw, consistency.

I agree we don't need a QB round one.

Last edited:
Using a 1st round pick to "put someone on notice" is about the dumbest thing I could imagine a GM doing.

1. Why does Stafford.....who was really good last year.....need to be put on notice?
2. Why would you use an extremely valuable asset to play a mind game instead of improving the holes in your team? Should we use a 2nd to draft a CB to sit the bench and push Slay?

That wouldn't be courage......it would be stupidity.

Firstly, I didn't suggest he should do it. I suggested that nothing he's done so far took much confidence. Second, "put on notice" in that case would mean "moving on." I don't think he should be looking to dump Stafford, but you have to admit it would take balls to come out and say, "This team will not reach the heights we are aiming for with our current personnel, and we are committed to improving at the most important position on the field."

All I was doing was pointing out the difference between what Quinn has done so far and what would realistically represent a bold new direction from the Lions front office..

All the cuts this fat have been no brainers this far. ..except maybe manny which was quality depth on a weak oline.

Never said they weren't "no brainers"... I said way too many first time GM's don't have the sack to say goodbye to the vets that are starters.

Based on the track record of first time GMs, I would have bet money on Digs and Tulloch returning for one more year. It's like a nice easy safety blanket for rookies in the front office.

If they guy plays well, we're fine. If the guy completely tanks, well, you needed time. You can't replace everyone in one off-season right?

It may be easy moves, but it's a ballsy move for a young GM in his first rodeo.

If the starting o-line is considered weak, how can Manny be considered quality depth if he's on the bench?

Alex Mack opting out in Cleveland....Swanson to depth. I wanted Mack over Pett In 09'

Alex Mack opting out in Cleveland....Swanson to depth. I wanted Mack over Pett In 09'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...k-expected-to-opt-out-of-contract-with-browns

"A first-round pick in 2009, Mack is on record saying winning is "really important" to him as he enters his eighth season in the NFL.

Mack is going to get paid handsomely, whether that's by the Browns or another team. There is speculation that Mack will be the highest-paid center in NFL history by the next time we see him on a football field."

If winning is "really important" to him the Lions probably won't be very high on his list.

I know...I'm just not buying it. Good depth on a bad line doesn't work for me. Either be good enough to take a job or be gone, like he is.

There is going to be a drop off in talent from your starters to your backups. The drop off from the Lions starters to Manny wasn't significant. Ideally, your back OL will consist of a few veterans who are versatile and some young guys that you are developing. Manny was a versatile veteran Nothing wrong with having a guy like him on your bench...you just don't want him as a starter.

Back