Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Notes: Lions 2020 rookie class graded near bottom of the NFL

Okudah, Swift, Okwara and Jackson with some good potential still. Cephus too. Penisini maybe not bad depth. But still a bad rookie year for Okudah and Okwara. Some of that due to injury though. Bad scheme as well. We will found out quickly how bad a scheme and how injuries mattered in 2021 if Okudah and Okwara start playing well under Campbell, Lynn and Glenn and new position coaches too

Okudah, Swift, Okwara and Jackson with some good potential still. Cephus too. Penisini maybe not bad depth. But still a bad rookie year for Okudah and Okwara. Some of that due to injury though. Bad scheme as well. We will found out quickly how bad a scheme and how injuries mattered in 2021 if Okudah and Okwara start playing well under Campbell, Lynn and Glenn and new position coaches too

Good players stand out no matter what.

Good players stand out no matter what.

CB as rookies historically struggle and the messed up COVID off-season certainly didn't help. I'm pretty confident in Okudah becoming a top notch player. Honestly I think it was a pretty solid draft, but with Okudah's struggles it brings down the rest.

Jackson was solid as a rookie and hopefully should only get better. Swift shown the ability to be a pretty dynamic back. Penisini showed some promise as a run stuffing DT. Cephus also showed he has a shot at being a solid contributor as WR. Okwara and Okudah were basically the main flops. I think Okwara is a toss-up pretty much.

CB as rookies historically struggle and the messed up COVID off-season certainly didn't help. I'm pretty confident in Okudah becoming a top notch player. Honestly I think it was a pretty solid draft, but with Okudah's struggles it brings down the rest.

Jackson was solid as a rookie and hopefully should only get better. Swift shown the ability to be a pretty dynamic back. Penisini showed some promise as a run stuffing DT. Cephus also showed he has a shot at being a solid contributor as WR. Okwara and Okudah were basically the main flops. I think Okwara is a toss-up pretty much.

Its too early on both the CB, can't just assume he gets better, and the RB can he handle a bigger work load rushing the ball? The rest sucked.

Its too early on both the CB, can't just assume he gets better, and the RB can he handle a bigger work load rushing the ball? The rest sucked.

I know you can't assume he gets better. Just saying, everything about Okudah tells me he is not going to bust. Thats obviously an opinion, but I am not even a little concerned. Agree on Swift, but even if he plateaus from his rookie year he is still a good back. How can you say Jonah Jackson sucked? He was a really solid guard for most of the year, but hit that rookie wall in the back half. Anthony Lynn singled him out in his press conference as a future stud. Played well for a 3rd round pick. Same with Cephus. If he gets no better then he was last year he is still good enough to be a #3/#4 WR which is good for a 5th rounder. Penisini showed enough as a 6th rounder to be valuable depth.

Okwara showed is nothing. Okudah showed us he was horrible. Overall I think it was a pretty decent class with room to be very good.

Unless Okudah quickly (next season) becomes a proven lock-down CB on the 1#’s across from him, he’s a bust.

Last edited:
Unless Okudah quickly (next season) becomes a proven lock-down CB on the 1#?s across from him, he?s a bust.

100% disagree. If he shows well next year as a solid starter I think he is on the right track. He doesn't have to be Darelle Revis is year 2. Most CB's, even the best, aren't lockdown guys by year 2.

He better show big improvement though. Take a guy at 3 he better be something.

No groin or shoulder injury, experience and better scheme

Now he gets a chance to shine

Solid starter, good starter, all pro. We'll see

If not chalk it up to another Quinn bust

100% disagree. If he shows well next year as a solid starter I think he is on the right track. He doesn't have to be Darelle Revis is year 2. Most CB's, even the best, aren't lockdown guys by year 2.

Lem Barney was.

Last edited:
DBs used to be able to clothesline anyone they felt like and hold like crazy

Barney would be burnt toast in todays NFL

Once again, irrelevant to the discussion.

Actually, PI was really called far more closely back in the day. 1978 rule change not withstanding. Contact of any kind was considered PI when the ball was in the air. Unless you have a different experience of actually watching the games in the 60s and 70s from my own.

And I did say ?was?. Because he was. But I am confident that Lem could have adapted to the rules of today and outperformed Okudah, all things being equal.

Lem was awesome. He could have played in 2020, or 1820.

Imagine Lem with a groin injury, shoulder injury, team with no pass rush, no LB coverage, no safety help, no real offseason, trying to figure out how Zoom works.

Yeah Lem would be rookie burnt toast too. Any CB ever would be rookie burnt toast in that situation. There are zero CBs you could say that would have success

Rip your own groin out and try to cover current NFL WRs. You can't

Also Lems team had 5 wins that year, Okudahs team had 5 wins

Last edited:
I’m waiting to see how Okudah does with a half-decent pass rush (could be a while) . I still have no clue what kind of defense that Quinntricia was trying to build, probably the worst possible situation for a rookie CB.

I?m waiting to see how Okudah does with a half-decent pass rush (could be a while) . I still have no clue what kind of defense that Quinntricia was trying to build, probably the worst possible situation for a rookie CB.

He might be a free agent by then. But it would be nice if he worked out.

Back